DELVAC 1 ESP 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are interested :),

I just got back the VOA on Delvac 1 ESP 5W30 from Blackstone. I did not get the TBN, however for the UOA I will. I am currently using this oil in a 2007 6.0 powerstroke and a Kubota L4100 tractor. I purchased 16 gallons during last fall Delvac rebates ($18.99/gallon), picked it up from my local Oreily's.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Delvac-1-ESP-5W30

Lab #31517

Blackstone Statement:

A couple notable finds in this virgin oil. Aluminum read 8 ppm. We'll often find 1 ppm of metal here or there in virgin oil, but not quite 8 ppm - that's something to keep in mind if you send in a used sample as it will have more aluminum than it would otherwise. The additive elements (boron, calcium through zinc) are typical for engine oil (gasoline). the viscosity is slightly thicker than we'd expect a 5W30 to be, starting out, but that shouldn't be a problem, nor was contamination to blame for the reading.

Sample Date : 6/22/2019

Aluminum 8
Chromium 0
Iron 1
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 1
Molybdenum 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 78
Silicon 4
Sodium 3
Calcium 1170
Magnesium 845
Phosphorus 756
Zinc 819
Barium 0
Values Should Be
SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 64.5 54-62
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C 11.46 8.5-11.1
Flashpoint in F 430 >410
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0
Water % 0.0 0.0
Insolubles % 0.0 TBN
TAN
ISO Code

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Foil seal perhaps …

That's can't be... the big particles are filtered out before the (VERY WELL filtered) oil goes into the testing machine

I thought the Magnesium at 845 ppm would make up for it (lack of P)? I do not see many oils with calcium, Zn, P, magnesium together as an additive package. It's usually a load of calcium with little or no Magnesium.

The Delo 400 LE 5w30 CJ-4 I ran previously had identical Zn P levels, but no magnesium and 2240 calcium.

Originally Posted by Powerstroke
I thought the Magnesium at 845 ppm would make up for it (lack of P)? I do not see many oils with calcium, Zn, P, magnesium together as an additive package. It's usually a load of calcium with little or no Magnesium.

The Delo 400 LE 5w30 CJ-4 I ran previously had identical Zn P levels, but no magnesium and 2240 calcium.

No. Magnesium is detergent, not anti-wear. Phos and Zinc go together in ZDDP for anti-wear, anti-oxidant, and corrosion resistance.

Feel like I totally wasted money on the Delvac. Definitely do not want the good ol' 6.0 to wear prematurely, the 2020 Ford 6.7's are way too expensive. Thank you for the explanation.

I have 2k miles left on this run of the Delvac. Will switch over to either Amsoil 5w30 HDD or Rotella T5. The Amsoil Max-Duty 10w30 DTT also shows the new ford spec for the 1000 ppm P, that may be option too.

I just like the 5W30 for year round use in MN.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Not enough P and Zn. Ford recommends >1000 ppm P for all their diesel engines, not just the 6.7.

Except their E iteration of the Ford spec explicitly approved Delvac 1 5w-30 LE, an E6 lube with the same phosphorus level.
whistle.gif
Ford may be correct or they may not be. They certainly are neither certain nor clear about it.

With this lube in specific, the phosphorus limitations are clear. The limitations for phosphorus apply to this lube not only because of E6 but also because it's a dual rated CK-4/SN in a so-called ILSAC grade. Ford may not approve, but they did previously approve the forerunner to this lube, and times are getting away on Ford. E6 lubes are well established. CK-4 is completely rolled out. FA-4 is growing. Ford wants CJ-4. Sheesh.

My buddy gets a new PSD every couple years and runs Delvac 1 5w40 … the dealership puts it in …
He actually runs that oil in many things around his acreage

How so? Phosphorus limits only changed for ILSAC grades that also carry an SN rating. That also applies to E6 lubes, but that did in CJ-4, too. We may not like what happened to specific HDEOs, but some are relatively unchanged. For example, I doubt that this particular lube is much different than Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, and that was CJ-4, and both had the same phosphorus limitations.

SAPS limits remained the same, generally speaking. It's just that the phosphorus waiver was removed for those products that would seek an SN in a 0w-30, 5w-30, or 10w-30 grade. I remember being annoyed that it looked like the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40's base stock was cheapened, but it appears to have been an erroneous data sheet, which unfortunately happens more often than we here at BITOG would like. Phosphorus came down if you have an ILSAC grade with an SN, or you had an E6 (which was always the case), or you made a formulation decision to reduce phosphorus. The SA limit actually came down when CJ-4 came out. Even with the CJ-4 rollout, my preference was for something that also combined E7 and E9, which would give you the elevated TBN along with the SA at 1 or lower. At least then, you wouldn't see as many obvious shortcuts to reducing SA.

I put the Delvac 15/40 CK in my Honda ATV's ...gives me the creeps....bought a case of legacy SN 10/40 loaded with sulfur and nitrogen.

Delvac Super 15w40 would use EHC (GII+) base stocks … 10+change Noack …

Originally Posted by Powerstroke
Feel like I totally wasted money on the Delvac. Definitely do not want the good ol' 6.0 to wear prematurely, the 2020 Ford 6.7's are way too expensive. Thank you for the explanation.

I have 2k miles left on this run of the Delvac.

Looking at one data point and saying "it sucks" is akin to looking at one pixel on a TV and saying "this TV has great picture". You have to step back and look at everything to make a fair assessment.

Maybe this oil uses a high quality base stock with great film strength/retention. Isn't oil film strength your first line of defense against metal to metal wear, then AW & EP additives like zinc, moly, boron, titanium etc.???

Wait to see what the UOA shows, you just might be pleasantly surprised. ...

Great point.

I contacted my local Delvac distributor, they were not overly helpful, but did say the Delvac 1 ESP 5w30 and Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 were top tier oils in the industry. He said the 5w30 was specifically engineered with the highest level of wear protection and last up to 100,000 miles in OTR trucks in the most strenuous conditions. Of course he added always follow manufacturer specifications.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back