Flennor FS99226 belt tensioner is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The belt on my 4th gen Maxima kept squeaking, so I knew something was wrong. I couldn't loosen the tensioner idler pulley at all because the adjustment screw seized, and the idler pulley bolt was stripped. I actually had to cut the old belt off
crazy2.gif

This car doesn't use a spring-loaded tensioner typical of modern cars. The top screw to adjust the tension is a reverse thread. With the assembly loose, you turn it left to tighten it. BUT, when it's actually mounted on the car with the belt, it tightens by turning right with a regular thread.

Anyway, while Flennor likes to put Flennor Germany all over the packaging (and the sealed plastic bag inside says "Made in Flennor"), we all know where it's really made
smirk2.gif

This all seems sketchy, but this particular part is actually good stuff! It uses an NTN bearing, and it also comes with the bracket, which made installation MUCH easier
happy2.gif

Without the bracket, you'd have to disassemble the tensioner/idler pulley and there's a bunch of washers to confuse and make the job difficult. But with everything pre-assembled with the bracket, it's an easy job that goes on with three bolts. Flennor is the only complete assembly I could find at any price, and I got it at a very good price from Rock Auto. I know their shipping is controversial, but it was still only about $25 including shipping, which is still not bad at all! The OEM tensioner/idler pulley is over $60, and you still don't get the bracket.

The pulley slides up and down the bracket . You push it up to ease the tension while you replace the belt, and it slides back down when the belt is on and put the tension back on.

I installed a Continental Elite polycog belt. Yes, I was lucky enough to find one! Conti phased out the helicog belts over the past year, so it's still possible albeit difficult to find the cogged Elite. The one I got was made on October 21, 2018, so it could very well be one of the last polycogs made in this size. And yes, it is quiet!!
happy2.gif

Here is a picture of the Flennor tensioner for reference:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 928
Flennor= is Gates european, you should be good

That is good to know
thumbsup2.gif

Just too bad other companies don't sell the complete assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back