Recommend a rear diff oil 80w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 02 ranger 3.0L 66k original miles 4x2

I'm assuming the factory fill is still what's in the differential and pretty much oxidized at this point with its age(if oxidation is a thing with diff fluid?) thinking of going with Mobil 1 or Valvoline 80w90.

Mobil 1 in the Ranger.

Rangers have either a 7.5 or an 8.8" axle. They aren't picky. It might have a track lok (what's the axle code from the door certification sticker?) in which case you want to make sure the fluid has LS additive. and/or add the ford additive.

Chevron Delo ESI 80W-90 is my fave. Autozone could get it for you. I buy cases from a local distributor here cheap. ESI= extended service interval

I mportant thing is you are changing it. Brand won't make a difference, be it Supertech, Valvoline or anything else. Your diff will outlast the vehicle anyway.

Last edited:
SuperTech 75w-140 working well in mine. Quieter than the Mobil1 75w-90 it replaced and no hit on MPG. Ford did a TSB, which now I cannot find, that changed all their rear diffs to 75w-140.

I run Motorcraft 75W-140 with XL-3 additive, even had a tag requiring synthetic 75W-140 on it.

Any name brand gear oil will work fine. Check if the LS additive is needed and get a fluid with the additive or add it separately. Personally I use Amsoil in my gearboxes and differentials -- I prefer to spend a few extra dollars in those areas -- but engines get oil off the shelf cause it's changed out so often. Anyway, if you are towing or hauling regularly, you might use 75w140 but it's not necessary. Either way, the Ford axles are pretty stout -- if you are familiar with the basic service, it's pretty hard to mess this up.

Last edited:
The miles are low-ish, but I am curious as to how it looks after 17 years. Put any 80W90 with a GL-5 rating and you're fine but please show us pics of what the fluid looks like!

Originally Posted by nobb
The miles are low-ish, but I am curious as to how it looks after 17 years. Put any 80W90 with a GL-5 rating and you're fine but please show us pics of what the fluid looks like!

Will do friend. Once I get around to getting it changed. I'm still troubleshooting a rough idle

Originally Posted by Fsharp
Lucas 80w-90 so you can enjoy the same technology found in Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.

Secret formula ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lucas 80w-90 so you can enjoy the same technology found in Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.

Secret formula ?

Snake oil.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by 4WD

Secret formula ?

Snake oil.

Not really. Snake oil does nothing. Lucas actually does something, at least to a certain degree as advertised. I put in an old 6.9 IDI and it ran noticeably quieter and it burned less oil.

Whether or not you like the product or not or think it's beneficial or harmful is another matter entirely.

Originally Posted by Cubey
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by 4WD

Secret formula ?

Snake oil.

Not really. Snake oil does nothing. Lucas actually does something, at least to a certain degree as advertised. I put in an old 6.9 IDI and it ran noticeably quieter and it burned less oil.

Whether or not you like the product or not or think it's beneficial or harmful is another matter entirely.

Similiar thick goo like the old STP which also quieted and burned less oil.

Originally Posted by nobb

It's probably going to look like crap. I changed the rear diff fluid out on my 14 Mustang GT when it had about 3,600 miles on it when I installed a Ford aluminum finned diff cover. My fluid looked gray with a lot of glitter in it. I installed the Motorcraft 75W-140 in it with the Motorcraft LS additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back