What cars did your parents schlep you around in as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
62 chrysler windsor.
62 chrysler saratoga.
66 plymouth fury
69 rambler rebel.
73 chrysler new yorker.
75 chrysler imperial.
77 dodge royal monaco wagon .

[Linked Image]

A 70's GM Hornet in vomit green (engine would cut out constantly=very dangerous) GM could never figure out what caused it...followed by a Subaru GL 1984, 71 bhp that towed a tent trailer, had a roof rack and lugged the 4 of us around. Fantastic car!

1948 Ford sedan
1954 Ford Mainline sedan
1957 Chevrolet station wagon. Didn't last long because it was totaled when a garbage truck hit it.
1961 Ford Galaxie. Took my driver's license test in it.

I believe I came home in a yellow Pinto. Replaced by a green Plymouth Fury station, 1979 vintage? huge land yacht of a vehicle. Astrovan after that. Nothing exciting there.

My first memories I rode in a 1958 VW Bug, then a 1961 with the canvas pop top. The second car they got later was a 1965 VW bus until 1971 when my dad bought a new 1971 Chevy Sportvan.

I remember when my Dad got his new 59 Plymouth Fury. Loved riding with him in that car, windows down and rock and roll going on the radio.

1) 1963 Chevy Impala, 230 straight 6, 3-on-the-tree with pull-handle overdrive
2) 1969? Volkswagen Type 3 station wagon (Squareback) - piece o' junk
3) 1974 Ford Pinto Station Wagon
4) 1978 Ford Fairmont 200-6 station wagon (still ran strong at 181,000 miles!)
5) 1984 Ford LTD station wagon

After that, I drove myself everywhere in my own cars

Originally Posted by Rolla07
A 70's GM Hornet in vomit green (engine would cut out constantly=very dangerous) GM could never figure out what caused it...

nope - the puke-green Hornet was AMC, not GM

Mom
(In order by year, not ownership)
75 Oldsmobile Omega
77 Ford Thunderbird
78 Ford Pinto
88 Dodge Caravan

Dad
(had a trio of 60's and 70's Camaros I never saw move)
73 Chevy Van
74 Ford LTD Wagon
77 Ford F-150
84 Ford F-150

Stepdad had a few cars which I barely rode in
83 Honda Civic
89 Ford Taurus (got my license in this)

First car I can vaguely remember was dads 1928 Model A Tudor. Then got a NEW 1948 Dodge pickup. Then a 47 chevy fleet line, then 55 chevy 4 door 6 cal 3 speed with o/d. Then I got my drivers license, and had a 47 chevy 4door.

the first car I remember was a 1952 pea green chevy with the powerglide teansmission.
when you turned on the radio you had to wait until it warmed up.

For "family" cars we had a 1976 or 78 Toronado, last year of the 455 and a CJ-7. The Toronado rusted away in the early 90s and the CJ7 ended up being the family car. That ended up shedding it's floors and then my parents had a few Wranglers. My dad always had some sort of single cab Ford work truck for his personal vehicle. The Toronado was the only automatic transmission vehicle they had until 2012 when they got their first Escape. But I was moved out by then.

CJ7s are especially poor family cars if anyone's wondering. Especially when the wiring under the dash catches on fire on Christmas when coming home from a family Christmas dinner.

A 1941 black Dodge coupe. My brothers and I sat on orange crates behind the front seats. The rear sat very high, and when a truck slammed into us at a stoplight, you couldn't see any damage to the Dodge, but the truck was smashed pretty good.

The earliest back I remember was a 55 blue Cadillac convertible. It was nice. Then a 57 gold Caddy Coupe. A early 60's Ford Galaxy. It overheated once . caught fire and burned. Ford Falcon, 62 or so Pontiac convertible, 68 Olds Cutlass.

At first they had a couple of boring domestic compacts(Comet, Falcon) I've essentially blocked out my memory. After that the cars were much more engaging:
1964 1/2 Mustang
1967 Mustang
1970 Mustang Grande
1970 Torino GT(351C with shaker hood and laser stripes)
After that run things got dull again- a Maverick and several Caprice sedans. He got back on track a few years before his death and bought a Mark VII LSC.

Early 1960s beige Pontiac Catalina. Dad had a 4 door black Simca (sp?).
1970 white VW Bug that taught me a straight shift.
Battleship sized Green Plymouth Station Wagon....nothing but problems.
Pontiac Phoenix white with red vinyl roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back