What cars did your parents schlep you around in as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have some vague memories of cars before these, but the first really good memories of cars I have are of my mother driving a gold Accord with popup headlights and my father a white K-car. In kid years I feel like they had these two cars forever and neither gave any drama and were always there when needed. What are your memories as a kid?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mid 70's was a Firebird and Trans Am / Ford Torino
Late 70's/Early 80's was a Honda of some sort and a Subaru somethingorother. Oddly, I have no pictures of anything other than the Trans Am.
Mid 80's was a Ford Fiesta / Cutlass Ciera
Late 80's they bought a pair of Diahatsu Charades, 4 door for dad, hatchback for mom. The hatchback is what I got my license in.

After that is was all me.

The 1985/1988 Honda Accord was a royal pain to line up the headlights and everything else when involved in a frontal collision. It was a great car though!

I was toted around in a 1964 Dodge Coronet, then an Oldsmobile Tornado, Then a brand new 1971 Toyota Corolla.

Gee, I hate to date myself although I know there are others here who are my senior but here goes.

My mother(homemaker) had a '56 Chevy(light brown). I called it the "chocolate car" because it was the color of chocolate milk. My dad(self employed auto mechanic) had a '46 Whippet that he drove back & forth to work.

Later, Dad bought Mom a '60 DeSoto and got himself a '62 Jeep. I could keep going however over the years, they really didn't have that many vehicles. Dad could keep'em a long time considering the day.

The oldest I can remember were the Saturns, which were both replaced with a green 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and a silver 1982-1984 Olds Cutlass Ciera with a red velvet interior.

The Ciera was replaced by a green 1994 civic, and the Supreme was replaced with a new "Inferno Red" 2004 Grand Caravan. The Honda was replaced with a new white 2007 Caliber. They still have both of them, but added a white 2013 200 to their fleet.

Last edited:
When it came to cars mom and dad were Ford people . First memories are a blue 72 Ford Galaxie which was traded for a 74 Ford LTD which was traded for a 78 Ford Thunderbird. Hung on to the Thunderduck longer than most, it became my first car when I got my license. Dad got another Ford sedan, an 85 Ford Crown Vic. Dad himself drove a variety of trucks, a 74 J10 Jeep, 79 K10 Custom Deluxe, and an 83 and 88 Ford F-150 through the years.

Old police cars with no air conditioning. A Buick skylark 1988 that smoked. Government housing. Yeah, screw childhood that [censored] was lame, but I respect them for teaching me to reach higher.

Oh, now THIS is a superb thread starter. Kudos to the OP.

Nothing I've seen yet on this list compares to the psychological trauma induced by this:

1973 Chevy Vega Wagon - and in the "way back"

One of the worst American cars ever built, despite the "Kammback" styling moniker Chevy tried to apply to it.

Still trying to work that stuff out...

Last edited:
55 Chevy, 64 Dodge. Both had manual steering & braking with 3 on the tree transmission. Not sure if any of us had ever heard of the words "air conditioning" back then.

Dad drove the car to work and he had 2 jobs.
Mom didn't even have a license until the year my Dad took sick.
There was no schlepping around.

1954 DeSoto Firedome, Dark green roof over light green body
1962 Pontiac Catalina, Burgandy
1966 Oldsmobile 98 LS, Dark Green w black vinyl top
>>First car w/AC. Dad worked the Oldsmobile Dealer Announcement shows and got a deal.
1972 Mercury Monterey, Navy Blue
1978 Dodge Aspan wagon, Bronze. That "Extra Care in Engineering-Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge" sure wasn't in evidence in '78.
1983 Buick Regal wagon, Mauve This is the car my Mom learned on.
>>This poor car suffered neglect as I had left home so it blew up in 1992. Quite the steamy, smokey affair I was told.
1991 Ford Taurus GL 4 door, Titanium
>>This was a Ford "program car" (Budget Rent-A-Car lease return). Ford replaced the transmission at 56,000. Shame on Ford.
1999 Saab 9-5SE 4 door, Blue/Grey.
>>Sold it not 5 months ago.

My dear Mom schlepped her lady friends around in it

1958 Olds 88
1965 Olds 98
1972 Olds Toronado
1979 Olds Toronado
We had some pickups too...one was a brand new 62 GMC pickup with a 4 speed automatic / honorable mention a 1974 454 Chevrolet pickup.
In those days most of these cars didn't even get waxed or highly detailed. The folks just drove them.

1937 Ford with 60HP, crappy motor gave a lot of problems. Dad kept it working till 1948 when a new Studebaker was purchased. Throughout that time, my grand dad's '31 Chevy always seemed to run. Wasn't much schlepping as gas was rationed....a run to town on Sat and church on Sun.

Last edited:
My parents had a Chevy conversion van because of having 5 kids. They only drove the van when necessary, otherwise my dad would drive his 90' Chevy Iroc and my moms car was
an Olds Cutlass Ciera. My dad usually had some other old car around to take to car shows. He was into old Ponticas, restored a few GTO's and had a LeMans and a Grand Prix at one time.
When I was a little boy, he just brought home his freshly painted Grand Prix and he had it pinstriped. I didn't like the pinstripe and peeled it off. It didn't damage the paint.

1947 Cadillac Limousine

My playpen fit on the floor of the backseat.

Seatbelts? Car seats?
lol.gif

Later cars include:
1965 Volvo PV544
1968 Ford Country Squire (390 V-8)
1974 VW 412
1976 Impala wagon (400 V-8)
1976 Peugeot 504 Diesel

And, of course, the 1932 Packard on special days.

Came home in I think a '56 Chevy 283 (definitely 55-57)
Regular family cars:

69 Toronado
~'65 Volvo PV544
72 Eldorado
80 Caprice

The step from the Eldorado to the Caprice was 70s gas crisis induced.. got a new 80 Caprice with the 267ci V8.

In the early 50's my dad was a Studebaker guy. We had a 49 Study and then a 53 Study. He later switched to Chevys and for a few years, we had a 57 Chevy wagon. Wish we still had that. I learned to drive on 1 62 Chevy Bel Air....in line 6 with a two speed slush box.

Originally Posted by deanm11
Wow, we were both writing in our 65 Volvo PV544 at the exact same time.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back