Was reminded why I hate just walking into parts stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by 928
Do yourself a favor- look up & print out what you need, and when you get there have the guy turn the screen so you can see it.
Remember, in all likelyhood the guys last job just required him to know the difference between a burger with and without cheeze.

My last job was doing component level repairs on computer boards and refurbishing desktops, laptops, and servers, I'm sure I can click a few buttons on a screen to select the correct year, model, and engine size to find your part.

Yes, but can you tell me the proper spark plug gap for a 1993 Ford Power Stroke engine?

wink.gif

Originally Posted by Warstud
Still beats buying online and waiting days

I can't tell you how many times I have ordered Amazon Prime at midnite or early AM and received it the same or next day.

The record time is about 4 hours.

Driving to a store, waiting in line, drive home = non productive time.

Last edited:
Walked into my local AZ today. Three counter guys. No one in the store. They were tripping over each other to get to me. I had a BIG jug of used motor oil to dump. They were glad to see me. After me came in several other people. They were attended to pretty promptly. I left the store with empty oil jug and two people came in as I left. Counter guys looked over and said they would be right with them and then went on to help customers they were with right now. Clean store. Well lit. Good location near me.

Open a commercial account!

around here we only have the "parts zone" and the "checkout zone" there is no commercial lane, get a commercial account, put it under your brothers lawn mower business if you must!

Game the system.

Last edited:
Our Autozone is the same way. I've even tried going in at lunch time.. same darn problem. Long lines and constant phone ringing.

When I worked at Oreillys, the assistant manager wanted me to help people on the phone before helping the people in line even if the person in line was technically up next. I don't know if others do the same thing, but I personally didn't care for the rule.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Open a commercial account!

around here we only have the "parts zone" and the "checkout zone" there is no commercial lane, get a commercial account, put it under your brothers lawn mower business if you must!

Game the system.

Is it really that simple?

Surely they'd look at profits from commercial accounts adjust their service accordingly.

Still beats buying online and waiting days
Not 'IME'. I've purchased parts including radiators, brake pads, rotors and sensors from Amazon and Rock Auto and ebay and found the experience to be generally very satisfactory. Get the part I want from a large selection at the price I'm willing to pay, delivered in a relatively timely manner. Only advantage I've found in AP stores would be in an emergency situation, which I rarely if ever have experienced.

When I do shop a b&m AP store, I know the part I want before going to the store. So, either order online for store pick up, or walk in with all information prepared to purchase. I try to bypass as much counter banter as possible and go on my way.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
So I work back counter, meaning I help the technicians, plus I also answer phone calls from both the public and wholesale accounts. We have a dedicated front counter person but when there is a line I will go help them. Now if there is a line of technicians I am supposed to give them priority since the service department is our biggest customer.

there's no "techs" at AutoZone

It's the same way here in little ole Alabama autozones too. The one right up the road from me is packed 7 days a week in the same scenario you just described. Once in a blue moon I'll walk in and be out in 15 or less minutes.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Our Autozone is the same way. I've even tried going in at lunch time.. same darn problem. Long lines and constant phone ringing.

When I worked at Oreillys, the assistant manager wanted me to help people on the phone before helping the people in line even if the person in line was technically up next. I don't know if others do the same thing, but I personally didn't care for the rule.

I scold the phone answerer after he hangs up.
If I've been there in-line waiting for service and he begins servicing phone calls that are taken after we arrive for service, I let him have-it verbally.
I've done this at McDonalds too. If I'm in-line and waiting 2 minutes and I see a vehicle drive around to the Drive-Thru and get waited-on before me, I chastise them, then walk out. There's no way I'm ordering food after ripping them a new butt-hole.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

If I've been there in-line waiting for service and he begins servicing phone calls that are taken after we arrive for service, I let him have-it verbally.
I've done this at McDonalds too. If I'm in-line and waiting 2 minutes and I see a vehicle drive around to the Drive-Thru and get waited-on before me, I chastise them, then walk out. There's no way I'm ordering food after ripping them a new butt-hole.

Why?

There is zero chance any of the scoldees learned anything or took anything positive away from the interaction with you.

So what is the point?

Its a no win situation for the employees. The companies also know how many calls go unanswered. They are just squeezing profit out of the place by cutting payroll. Having worked for the company involved, for a good many years I can tell you they operate on a 1/100 rule. ever $100 under sales target they are they must cut 1 hour of payroll. so the week starts on Sunday a busy weekend day its OK but if sales are slow Mon-Thursday they are cutting hours on Friday and Saturday the busiest days of the week.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
So I work back counter, meaning I help the technicians, plus I also answer phone calls from both the public and wholesale accounts. We have a dedicated front counter person but when there is a line I will go help them. Now if there is a line of technicians I am supposed to give them priority since the service department is our biggest customer.

That cannot be more true. So many people come in with those Autozone printouts telling them what the code means and then come back to try and return the part because "it didn't fix it".

Also my rule when I am alone is I will finish a phone call that I am on when people come in, but once people are in the phones are put on hold.

I wish my area had more than autozone and advance auto. I hear O'reilley's are good about being properly staffed. Can't beat advanced's 25% off coupons and in store pickup for online orders however.

That cannot be more true. So many people come in with those Autozone printouts telling them what the code means and then come back to try and return the part because "it didn't fix it".

Also my rule when I am alone is I will finish a phone call that I am on when people come in, but once people are in the phones are put on hold.

Well some of them do have ASE certs, AutoZone even promotes it financially.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I hear O'reilley's are good about being properly staffed.

That varies by the store. My nearest O'reilly's has a different person behind the counter every time I go in there, which isn't too often anymore.
However, I was passing through my nearest O'reilly's store today and happened to stop in. The guy who waited on me is one of the few (besides the store manager) who has been there more than a few months.
He had to get out a genuine paper catalog to look up my part (something Autozone can't do) and get me out of there in less than 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Well some of them do have ASE certs, AutoZone even promotes it financially.

And what does that prove? To get an ASE cert you have to pass a multi-choice test and have 2 years of work experience or 2 years of school and 1 year of work experience. I had a bunch of certs but let them expire since they mean nothing to manufacturers.

Autozone does not sell to the manufacturers, they sell to independents(or affiliates like NAPA repair centers), that is where ASE matters. You would have a better chance at getting a job when you show your ASE Certified Diesel Mechanic privy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Nuke

Why?

There is zero chance any of the scoldees learned anything or took anything positive away from the interaction with you.

So what is the point?

He's a "special" case. They're just following orders. The guy on the phone doesn't know that there's 5 people in line waiting and if you don't get to them, they're just going to hang up and call another store. The guy in line will probably wait a bit longer unless they're a special case...

The Mcdonald's guy is hard to figure out though, they usually have two different people handling the walk in counter and the drive thru line. Sometimes the drive through line is longer than the counter line so it's faster to park instead of wait in the drive thru.

But calling in is a legit trick. Sometimes the line at the local restaurant is out the door so I just call my order in and pick it up before they work through half the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back