Maxlife AFT - Honda Z1 and Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the back of the Valvoline Maxlife ATF bottle it says that the product can be used in transmissions specifying Honda Z1 and Mercon V. I’ve drained my wife’s 99 Accord 4 times since new (83K now) and used Maxlife ATF the last two times. It seems to work as well as the Honda ATF so I’m going to try if in my Ford 4R70W soon. I’m assuming even if it’s not the best ATF available that it will work fine if changed regularly. I like the idea of keeping one ATF on the shelf for both cars. Has anyone else used Maxlife in his/her Ford 4R70W? It’s newer than the Honda so I’m somewhat reluctant to try it but I probably will soon.

I think the Maxlife ATF has been tested in Honda Z1 and Ford Mercon V spec'd trans by Valvoline, but does not meet the actual spec.

Someone here posted a PDF letter from Valvoline that they "fully tested" their product in Mercon V, Honda Z1, and Nissan and Toyota spec fluid required transmissions and works well, but is not certified to meet the spec.

I may put it in my brother's Z-71 4L60E trans, it needs DexIII, so it will work for sure. I was going to use it in my high mileage Vic's 470RW, but used Castrol Mercon V instead.

Good luck.

ohhhh boy....Your swapping out Z1 and MV to save a few bucks and to have only one kind of ATF in your stash????? Those two transmissions are the pickiest ones around. These two transmissions are also more than likely to fail. Honda has extended their AT warranties voluntarily and everyone on this board and the F150 boards know that the 4R70W needs clean fluid or they will fail. I couldn't do that. Vavoline engine oil has historically shown through UOA's not to be ALL that, they have been pretty wimpy with their additive packages. Also, this oil is not certified from the manufacturer to met their requirements. Sure, we can get into the argument about them not paying for the rights and all that, but there is always a reason why something is not meeting certain specs.
That's just me.....

It's all in the additive packages my friend. They will all shift normal and all until it finally breaks. The MV has more friction modifiers in it as the 4R70W requires that so that the transmission will not shutter, which means the clutch packs are slipping more than they are designed for. Like I said, it will work fine up until it breaks down and then you shell out 3 to 4K to replace it. Plus, if your running 4.10's on a transmission that was designed for 3.55's and changing the parameters with a tuner, ALL the more reason to get the good stuff. Honda transmission failures are mainly due to the type of metal they used. I'd rather pay for the good correct stuff up front and then cut down the fluid replacement miles on the owners manual by 40 to 50%. Both of these Honda's and Ford's say replace the fluid every 100K miles, I do my truck and Accord every 50 to 60K and not even worry about it.

You're preaching to an empty house, Schmoe. This is BITOG - where the notion of substituting unlicensed, unproved service-fills to save a few paltry bucks on three-thousand dollar transmissions reigns supreme. (Hint: bookmark the juciest threads. We're sure to eventually be hearing howls of protest from the penny-pinchers - most of which will be along the lines of, "How dare the manufacturer refuse a transmission warranty claim just because I used an unlicensed and unrecommended ATF in my $25,000.00+ car!".)

[ July 06, 2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Thanks for the replies. I'm checking to make sure Maxlife is not regarded as a poor ATF by members here. I’ve never done a UOA on anything. I like changing the fluids so my plan was to make the transmission drains more frequent and use one inexpensive ATF for both. It’s difficult (for me) to believe that clean/fresh Maxlife would not be better than rarely changed Z1 or MV. If/when the 4R70W breaks I’m pretty sure it’ll be because of my right foot. Since adding the SCT tuner, 4.10 gears and T-Lok the WOT 1-2 shift is a lot of fun. If the shift quality changes with Maxlife, I'll just drain it and use MV instead. The Honda is not driven aggressively and so far (6 quarts in) it shifts just like it always has.

I would think so, if you catch it in time and have analysis for certain types of metal to pinpoint where the wear is coming from.

Molakule once mentioned Honda ATF Z1 is nothing special except the additives used for the Honda's clutch pack material.

His specialty formulation can also blend with this additive for you. As mentioned on his website.

Maybe he can shine some light on what is special about Honda's clutch material and what additives is needed instead of the usual suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back