2000 Jeep Cherokee turn signals out

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a Jeep Cherokee that has intermittent blinker outage. I've checked the blinker fluid and it's all topped off. What else can be causing this problem? Relays? His doors randomly lock on their own like Gremlins are controlling them. Any help is appreciated.

I used to have a 97 Cherokee. At one time, it had issues with the 4 way flashers turning on with the turn signals. This was a long time ago, so bear with me. But as I recall, the issue had to do with the multifunction switch having an issue. I'm about 80 percent sure we solved the problem by changing the multifunction switch.

As for the door looks, check the wires in the doors. Jeep used cheap wiring that has a tendency to wear the insulation out from opening and closing the doors. Eventually the wires could also break. This caused issues with the speakers, power windows, and power locks. If one of those wires is grounding out, that could be your door lock issue. To troubleshoot this, I'd try unplugging each front power door lock switch until the lock problem stops.

Also, if it has remote keyless entry, it's possible that could be having an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEZDdqyONdQ

That's the answer to the intermitten flasher failure, the other responses about the wiring harness that is for the driver door explains why you get the weird activations of the locks etc. Open up or remove the giant black rubber cover inside the door jam and you will likely find one of the larger gauge wires is either actually broken or just has a weird broken part which you can replace or repair.
This is one of the worst vehicles I have ever had for this type of stupid electrical gremlins, the HVAC controls is another big mess....

I know some other 2000 Chry-co vehicles with random activation of things like power windows, wipers,etc. caravans come to mind especially. on those,at least some of the blame falls to bad solder on the power distribution unit...early days of lead free solder... also defective clocksprings...all kinds of fun stuff.

I had an intermittent light and signal problem with my GC. Drove me nuts, was almost going to take to the dealer but I followed the circuits and it turned out to be a loose connection at the bulb out monitor box inline with the rear light harness. Was in the base of the left rear pillar IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back