Main benefits of e-core filters, have they improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a first e-core user (2011 Silverado 4.3 V6), using the ST3387a instead of the PF47e since they look the same to me. What exactly are e-core advantages vs. steel core? Looking inside the filter it appears better flow. Is Chevy the only automaker using them as a factory part?

Better for recycling … no hanging chads on the unfiltered side … open flow … price

I use them about 5k-6k only

The plastic Center core doesn't bother me as much as the fiber end caps or the same as fram's low-cost filters

No real "increase in flow" (meaning less pressure drop across the filter) with an open eCore center tube since the media is the main flow restriction inside the filter.

If they're the newer, smaller window ones, & have enough media, they're pretty good, even good enough for GM (AC Delco Ecores). The older ones were not always great,I would avoid those.

Originally Posted by tblt44
The plastic Center core doesn't bother me as much as the fiber end caps or the same as fram's low-cost filters

I never understand this sentiment, the only separations and tears we've seen on here are with metal caps. I much prefer fiber (or no) end caps.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If they're the newer, smaller window ones, & have enough media, they're pretty good, even good enough for GM (AC Delco Ecores). The older ones were not always great,I would avoid those.

Yeah, I got my hind end roasted for ones I cut and posted. Hindsight is always 20/20

I don't think e-core has any disadvantage in theory (for 1 year, 10k OCI), but I remember some oil filters have unrelated torn media instead.

I haven't seen anyone yet to find a fiber end cap torn or rip on Fram or Honda, and Honda recommend changing oil filter on every other oil change.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I never understand this sentiment, the only separations and tears we've seen on here are with metal caps. I much prefer fiber (or no) end caps.

I find the fiber ends on AC Delco filters remain intact every time … and the plastic is precisely mated with end parts

B844CFA1-5BAF-4F80-855D-AC71D9E23723.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems like most pics of ecores posted here have very uniform filter media (no wide gaps) in comparison to some non ecore filters I've seen.

AC Delco E-cores are perfectly fine. Nothing to be wrong with them. I bought a case of 12 years ago and finally finished the pack off. No issues to report.

I agree.

Originally Posted by CR94
I agree.

Count me of the same opinion. I believe it could be said that thinking gluing to metal end caps is any better than fiber end caps is, illogical.

For BITOG folks, ecore filters are much easier to tear down and analyze. Much, much easier.

Last edited:
I have run several eCores from Champion Labs, AC Delco and STP. All had straight pleats. The end caps were fiber and were attached very well. I never had any issues with them.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
I have run several eCores from Champion Labs, AC Delco and STP. All had straight pleats. The end caps were fiber and were attached very well. I never had any issues with them.

The end cap bonding process seems a bit different - but good …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by WellOiled

The end cap bonding process seems a bit different - but good …

Latest eCore C&P.
STP S2 C&P

As far as your engine goes, I see no benefit in them, it's an environmental thing. Widely spaced plastic supports are weak and don't support the media which could do the "Purolator thing".

Last edited:
I ran one on my truck last winter. Nothing to report when I cut it open.

Held up better than any other paper spin on filter.

Champ Labs launched the eCore design in 2004.

Several changes were made since that time to address reliability. The core was redesigned to increase support and decrease the window size. This change reduces the risk of media blow out. Many or all GM applications calling for a bypass valve are now using a dome end bypass valve instead of the combo valve. Applications calling for a thread end bypass valve likely use the combo valve. There are exceptions to this.

Within the last 5-6 years, I have not seen any oil filter dissections where the eCore failed.

I have used them on 5-6K mile oil changes with confidence. No defects noted in my post use dissections.

Certainly less chance of stray metal on the clean side … They have to be value based as well …
For me, one of the better $4 filters for a 6k run … but eventually I will go back to XG and do two runs per filter
(that traps a full quart on my vehicles … but they hold 8) …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back