What's the highest mileage neglected tranny you've seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and then there are the Bitoggers who have no intention of keeping their car beyond 100 k who keep busy breaking into their sealed transmission to get rid of "the manufacturing crud".
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Yep, and then there are the Bitoggers who have no intention of keeping their car beyond 100 k who keep busy breaking into their sealed transmission to get rid of "the manufacturing crud".
laugh.gif

...at every 3-5k OCI.

The toyota 4spd AT has never been touched in my BILs 2001 Chevy prism. It's only got about 150K miles on it though. They bought the car new.

IMO, ATs older than 1996 or so were a different animal and should almost be in a category by themselves. Built larger, held more fluid, ran cooler, not built so light for emissions, etc.. These are generalizations of course and just my opinion.

Regardless. I don't like neglecting my Trannys.
spankme2.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
It would be interesting to do this topic again with the qualifier of being the longest living neglected 1980's era overdrive transmission.

Originally Posted by JTK
The toyota 4spd AT has never been touched in my BILs 2001 Chevy prism. It's only got about 150K miles on it though. They bought the car new.

IMO, ATs older than 1996 or so were a different animal and should almost be in a category by themselves. Built larger, held more fluid, ran cooler, not built so light for emissions, etc.. These are generalizations of course and just my opinion.

Regardless. I don't like neglecting my Trannys.
spankme2.gif
lol.gif

The parts count on these new 8,9, and 10 speeds is pretty high and the internals are really packed tight, there's no empty space at all. OEM fluids have gotten better but I'm wondering how these rigs will do past 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
04 Freightliner M2-106 with Cat C7 engine and Allison MD3060 auto trans 190,000mi. Dipstick looked dirtier than the engine oil. Still handles the abuse fine. Not sure how I'm gonna tell the shop mechanic it needs 30qts for a complete changeover.

Two filters too. I'd advising changing both. Easy access from bottom of trans.

https://www.amazon.com/Allison-Capacity-29548988-29558118-29558329/dp/B07147ST4X

Bought my son a 1996 Honda Accord with 240K miles for his first car. Transmission had never been serviced and I think the filter was a permanent one that you had to remove and split the case to service anyways.

Ran and shifted fine when bought but we did do a couple of drain and refills with DEX III if I remember correctly with a splash of lubegard. Smoothed up the shift points and we ran it to 325K before selling and was still shifting fine at time of sale.

1999 Ford Explorer with the 5r55e. 219k miles. I don't know the history of it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was still on the original fluid, based on the other (lack of) maintenance it had, and the way the fluid and the inside of the pan looked. It had a broken intermediate band, but you could still limp it along through most of the gears. I'm also not sure how long it was limped along with the broken band. Because of that problem, and several other problems, it wasn't economical to fix and the truck was junked at 219k.

My '13 Sienna has 135k miles now and I'm pretty sure the fluid has never been changed. I just bought it a few months ago at 132k. Previous owner apparently went to the dealer for all maintenance and repairs and I don't see a fluid change in any of its service history. I bought fluid and a filter for it right after I bought it, but haven't had the time to change it yet.

My mom's 03' Buick Rendezvous AWD, original at 145k miles when she got rid of it. Wasn't the smoothest shifter, slipped a little sometimes.

My Camry's is pretty darn good at 234k miles. I've done a couple drain and refills, but that didn't really change how it shifted.

A 1981 GM TH350. 300k miles/480k km's or so. No fluid changes or servicing (beyond adding minor amounts of fluid to replenish minorly leaked fluid) whatsoever, and some pretty heavy towing of a camper in its earlier years. Mated to a pretty weak engine, it still worked fine all these years later until a relative finally sold it the other day.

Last edited:
1992 camry 2.2l auto went 247,000 on factory fill that was root beer in color. Sold it on Craigslist still shifting fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back