STP and HM oil, engine now noisier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2010 Soul's 2L engine has always had a bit of top-end clatter, fairly common on these engines. Quiet when started, and then after about 5-7 seconds you get this clattery rattle from the valvetrain that lasts for a while. Does not ALWAYS do it; just more often than not. Kinda unpredictable.

This spring I changed the oil with GTX HM 5W-30 and a pint of STP blue bottle. Figured with the GTX HM being about 12 cst, with the STP the oil was now a 14cst-ish 40 weight, and it would 'cushion' and quiet down the clattery valvetrain.

Interesting this happened - engine starts much, much better and faster. Engine used to crank 3-4 times before catching; now it starts before the key hits the end of its travel, and you can feel that it is cranking faster. However, the engine got LOUDER by a lot. Same quiet start, but after 5-7 seconds, the clattering is now way louder, and you can't miss it. I'm sure I can also hear the clatter sometimes when I am driving.

Best 'theory' I can come up with is that the thicker oil mix has increased the oil pressure in the valvetrain, so the 'loose' parts are banging around more from the increased pressure. Thought it would cushion parts, maybe having opposite effect?

Thinking of trying 2 'fixes' - add a can of Molyslip Mso2(sp) to see if it helps actually cushion the parts; or add a pint of MMO to the sump to thin the oil back down and reduce 'pressure' a bit. Might also just leave it on a 9 year old car with 145k. Doesn't really owe me anything.

Moly rich oils definitely seem to run smooth and quiet in everything. Maybe just try an oil change with Quaker State or Pennzoil (lots of moly in those). Plus these oils are legendary for being smooth and quick. Heck,it's worth a try!

Have you considered using OEM oil filter? See if it mitigates sound. What viscosity does Kia OM recommend? Deduction?

It is a Kia engine with 145K-but I've become a firm believer in Castrol Magnatec (5W20 in my 4.6, but see what Kia recommends)-it really does seem to stick to everything inside an engine pretty well, has quieted down my noisy timing chain a lot. Has a fair shot of moly in it too (60 PPM in 5W30 D1G2/SN+), also has titanium & boron. The Ecoboost guys swear by it.

Hmmm...I am using a Fram TG filter now, after using several OEM's in a row. could be it.

Used the STP just because I had it sitting around.

One of the 'quietest' runs I had with it was OEM filter and Edge 5W-20. Might have to go back to OEM and KISS.

The higher viscosity could be contributing to the increased valve train noise??..not sure. My thought now is less oil might be getting into the lash adjusters/lifters..whichever this motor uses. The slower start before the switch could be either a fuel/spark issue or if it uses an oil pressure cutoff switch that the oil pump builds the pressure faster allowing the engine to start.

Likely not needed, but I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel tank only to help remove any deposits that may be in the combustion chamber. I would also try some PUP 5W-30, or stick with the M1 10W-30 HM, both have a good dose of calcium.

Sounds like the thicker oils are working against you in the valve train.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
sounds like bs, sorry

Thanks for the constructive comment.

I wouldn't be throwing additives in willy nilly. Change the filter to oem and dump and replace the mess in the sump with fresh oil and no additives.

Engine calls for 5W-20 for all temps, but allows 5W-30 and 10W-30 as well.

STP usually brings the oil up about 2cst; so I figure with GTX HM being 12cst, with the STP I am up around 14-14.5 cst….so a solid 40-weight. Not crazy for an older engine during the summer.

I ran the previous OC way too long, so this fill of oil with about 2k on it is already really dark, so that is why I figured it cleaned out some junk and opened up stuff.

Not sure if I am going to do anything about it. Don't like to waste oil, but it is very dark, so might buy some cheap oil, change it for the rest of the summer, and then switch to my winter oil in October to help clean it out.

Update:

Changed the oil today with Castrol Edge (black) 5W-30 and a new TG9688 filter, no additives.

I'll let this oil run through for a couple of weeks, and see how noise does. If the valvetrain is still really noisy, might try the new Rislone Nano Prime additive, or Molyslip to try and cushion the valvetrain. At this point it can't do any harm to try and quiet it down. Nano Prime seems to be getting some positive feedback here, and Rislone is a respected company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back