Tropical Storm Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I lived in an area where I needed to prepare or evacuate, I would. Otherwise, it's just weather hysteria. Welcome to planet Earth.

I think US taxpayers would be better off buying up property in flood prone areas than continuing to build taller and taller levees.

And the marshlands that help to curb inland flooding need to be restored in areas where they are needed.

Originally Posted by Donald
I think US taxpayers would be better off buying up property in flood prone areas than continuing to build taller and taller levees.

And the marshlands that help to curb inland flooding need to be restored in areas where they are needed.

It was being looked at post Katrina until certain agenda driven people got in the middle of it

In Harris County (Houston Tx), if the damage exceeds a certain % of home value, you will not be able to get a permit to rebuild and you will be bought out.

Ike was a much bigger storm than Katrina but it is almost never talked about.

You figure out the difference.

I would expect a lot more chatter about the costliest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history (Katrina $125 billion) than the sixth most costly (Ike $38 billion).

Some people would consider the storm that did nearly 4 times more damage to the be the "bigger" storm.

The difference: $87 billion

The worrisome part of Barry is the potential for storm surge to back up the (already flooding) Mississippi-it sounds like some of the earthen levees in NOLA may get damaged. Hope everybody gets through OK!

And paying out flood insurance so people can rebuild in flood-prone areas.

Why should taxpayers pay at all? The government doesn't pay my heating bill when it's cold or fix my roof when a tornado comes through. Don't spend my money on other peoples weather and geography.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

Some people would consider the storm that did nearly 4 times more damage to the be the "bigger" storm.

4 times more damage... or 4 times more money paid out.
Big difference.

Harvey was the most expensive.
Still people waiting for help.

Why should taxpayers pay at all? The government doesn't pay my heating bill when it's cold or fix my roof when a tornado comes through. Don't spend my money on other peoples weather and geography.
X2 enough already

Originally Posted by KJSmith
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

4 times more damage... or 4 times more money paid out.
Big difference.

Harvey was the most expensive.
Still people waiting for help.

Katrina killed 10 times as many people as either Ike or Harvey. That's human beings, not property.

That detail alone is enough to generate some extra buzz, and also indicative of the level of actual damage done.

Harvey is tied with Katrina for expense.

Again, the difference is 1600 dead human beings.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I have one rule I live by , NEVER BUILD A STRUCTURE BELOW SEA LEVEL .

That's a good rule to live by and ohhh yea don't drive on railroad tracks

Originally Posted by dave123

That's a good rule to live by and ohhh yea don't drive on railroad tracks

Those are classic blunders. You don't want to be a victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

Originally Posted by JamesBond

The only reason taxpayers pay is because the US government sells them flood insurance. Unfortunately the US government is horrible at pricing it properly and it doesn't bring in enough revenue to pay all the claims. Probably why the insurance companies stopped selling flood insurance and the US government had to step in. Every time they try to raise the premiums, everyone gets mad and protests so it doesn't really happen.

Tell that to the folks in Holland. Three million people in Holland live below sea level.
smile.gif

Sounds great... Until one has to purchase all of New Orleans and possibly surrounding areas... Huge huge $$$$.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Tell that to the folks in Holland. Three million people in Holland live below sea level.
smile.gif

That's one of my rules , I won't (levy) my rules on other people . They seem to have their situation alittle more under control than Louisiana .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back