Cleaning Piston Skirts/Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

What are the best methods for cleaning up carbon build up in ring lands without dismantling the engine?

Not that I have this issue, but I'd like to do a bit of preventative maintenance on my Mondeo ST220. It looks quite clean through the filler hole, I have a few leaks from the rocker covers and the sump gasket so going to remove these, give them a good clean and replace the gaskets.

I'm trying hard to get Valvoline Blue Restore in the UK but having emailed every official Valvoline distributor in the UK and Valvoline themselves I have been ignored by every single one. I contacted a few heavy duty vehicle parts suppliers who have also said they've never heard of it. Maybe Cummins ISX's in the UK don't suffer with this issue, I know a lot of them are duel fuel diesel/methane engines here. If I try and import it from the US it's going to cost me £240 for two US gallons, so that isn't going to happen.
lol.gif

Other than running a quality HDEO for short intervals, is there anything else I could try to give the engine a bit of a clean internally?

Is a motor flush prior to replacing those seals something to be considered? The last time I used one was about 10yrs ago from Motor Medic and it cleaned out a bunch of crap/gunk on an old Camry. I think the Motor Medic is considered on the strong side but they do make "gentler" flushes (by Amsoil or even Valvoline makes one) or clean as you go using/with Rislone engine treatment or MMO.

Last edited:
I use Yamaha Ring Free plus in all of my lawn equipment in order to keep the piston and combustion chambers clean. I once had a piston ring seize when I used a very low quality castor bean based 2-cycle oil. This required the disassembly of the engine in order to fix the ring seizure problem.

Yamaha Ring Free plus is marketed to boat owners and you might have trouble finding it in the UK. It's expensive but I use it simply for preventive maintenance. One ounce treats 10 gallons and I choose to double this mix ratio. I buy in bulk and pay about $38 per quart.

The most effective cleaner we have ever used is Kreen from Kano Labs.

I do not even know if you can get it, but it really works.

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4230933/Re:_Valvoline_Premium_Blue_Res

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
The most effective cleaner we have ever used is Kreen from Kano Labs.

I do not even know if you can get it, but it really works.

I've never done it but I've heard people pulling the plugs and soaking the cylinders with a couple of ounces of a cleaner. I'd imagine you want to replace the oil afterwards as some of that surely must seep past the rings. Seems like an extreme approach but maybe it works (might not be a bad way to freeing up sticking rings?)... also some people hot soak the cylinders via the intake with Seafoam, seen that on YouTube. Haven't done that one either...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FowVay
I use Yamaha Ring Free plus in all of my lawn equipment in order to keep the piston and combustion chambers clean. I once had a piston ring seize when I used a very low quality castor bean based 2-cycle oil. This required the disassembly of the engine in order to fix the ring seizure problem.

Yamaha Ring Free plus is marketed to boat owners and you might have trouble finding it in the UK. It's expensive but I use it simply for preventive maintenance. One ounce treats 10 gallons and I choose to double this mix ratio. I buy in bulk and pay about $38 per quart.

There is also Yamaha Internal Engine Cleaner.. looks to be good stuff.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/yamaha-internal-engine-cleaner

[Linked Image]

Supposedly one of these will clear carbon from ring grooves. Still not sure if you drop it in the gas tank or cram it in thru the oil filler hole. Let us know how it works.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I've never done it but I've heard people pulling the plugs and soaking the cylinders with a couple of ounces of a cleaner. I'd imagine you want to replace the oil afterwards as some of that surely must seep past the rings.

Just a few ounces is needed, so NO need to change the oil immediately after.

It does require time, so perform this task while on home holiday.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
[Linked Image]

Supposedly one of these will clear carbon from ring grooves. Still not sure if you drop it in the gas tank or cram it in thru the oil filler hole. Let us know how it works.

All kidding aside, I have just enough hands on experience using such a tool to know that ring groove deposits can be quite hard. Spent time clearing out ring grooves on '58 Chevy Apache and a '72 Tri Spitfire. I'm always pleasantly surprised when a "pour in" yields results.

Cheers Guys,

I've asked Ryder Fleet for a price to ship Valvoline Blue Restore to the UK. I suppose for one year/once OCI it wouldn't hurt. I don't think I will have much change from £200 though.

I can't find Kreen, Berrymans or Lube Control products in the UK.

As an alternative, has anyone had any success at cleaning rings with Seafoam? I can get it for at £11 for a 16oz can. I'm wondering if I should do a long term soak, lets say 5ml down each cylinder once a day for a week while it's sitting and adding the rest directly to the crank case up to the recommended dose and putting a good slug of it in the fuel tank with a full tank of fuel. Once I finish a tank of fuel (~250miles) I'll be dropping the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back