Shear Thickening Fluids (Dilatant), for hydraulics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often heard that Audi had a shear thickening fluid in their AWD systems. But, I've never been able to substantiate that. But, what I'm really just looking for is to see if there is a dilatant fluid that is NOT a colloidal suspension. It seems there are a variety of shear thickening fluids (dragon skin and similar bullet proof materials). But, All of those are made up of little tiny micro-particles. While I could be wrong, it seems as though filling a hydraulic system with particles is a bad idea. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!

Wiki on Dilatants

Well, you link states:

The parameters that control shear thickening behavior are: particle size and particle size distribution, particle volume fraction, particle shape, particle-particle interaction, continuous phase viscosity, and the type, rate, and time of deformation. In addition to these parameters, all shear thickening fluids are stabilized suspensions and have a volume fraction of solid that is relatively high.

So your reference seems to think that a colloidal suspension is certainly the most widely observed instance of this condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back