2017+ Audi A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by lawrencerd
I'm looking at a DSG model, most all the examples I've seen in the area have been DSG. 40k dsg service is a bit of a bummer, but I'm used to it on my old A3. I'll probably end up buying what's necessary to do it myself if I buy this one. I'd like to find a used one in good condition with good maintenance records, then keep it about 8-10 years.
Save yourself the trouble and get a manual if you want to keep it long term.

VW = manual ONLY!
27.gif

I'll massively knock on wood here but the DSG in my car has been the most reliable part on it mile after mile after mile. Still so smooth and fast just like the day I got it. I will admit it would be fun to have a manual, my Fianceé has one and I love driving it. They just don't seem to be very available in A4s with Premium Plus, the trim I'm looking for. (Edit, clarity)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
They are endless money pits.

Prove it.
36.gif

https://www.edmunds.com/audi/a4/2017/cost-to-own/
https://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2018/cost-to-own/#style=401737627

About 500% more repairs than a comparable accord. Yes the Audi offers things the accord doesnt, but [censored]! They need to build it mo betta.

Only personal audi experience I have is a friend's TT. It ate her alive in repairs.

Realistically, its par for the course in a german luxury vehicle. BMW, Audi, MB, pick your poison and enjoy it, just have a ready fund for when its out if bumper to bumper coverage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Prove it.
36.gif

About 500% more repairs than a comparable accord. Yes the Audi offers things the accord doesnt, but [censored]! They need to build it mo betta.

Only personal audi experience I have is a friend's TT. It ate her alive in repairs.

Realistically, its par for the course in a german luxury vehicle. BMW, Audi, MB, pick your poison and enjoy it, just have a ready fund for when its out if bumper to bumper coverage.

Actual data! I thought they had improved.
shocked2.gif

A manual Accord though.....
20.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

Prove it.
36.gif

Actual data! I thought they had improved.
shocked2.gif

A manual Accord though.....
20.gif

The v6 accord coupe, manual, was a horrible money loser, but Honda kept making it for the longest. Drive one and you'll "get it". Total underdog in every way, punching way out of its league.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Prove it.
36.gif

Their maintenance and to some extent repair cost calculations don't make sense. For example Honda owners are more likely to perform their own maintenance and have less demanding tires. Seriously an A4 owner cold go through 2 sets of tires for every set bought by an accord owner. They're also less likely to acquire an extended warranty because of perceived reliability. Warranties like health insurance put a floor on prices. Audi owners, as a whole, are entirely different in this regard.

Of course, ownership the experience from 6 years on could be vastly in favor of the Accord.

Last edited:
My A3, as old as it is, is still serving fine for A to B transportation. So therefore I'm really not interested in an Accord or similar. I'm interested in an a4 for the technology/features and more luxurious drive. Quattro is a bonus too. I have some experience with the brand so I'm really not looking for feedback on Audi the brand, but moreso the B9 A4. My objective if I should purchase this car is not an absolute minimization of ownership costs.

Granted, if someone has a horror story about a 17+ A4 I'd be interested in hearing it, I'm not out to buy a total lemon. But more/more costly repairs than a Honda is ok, I expect it.

My A3, as old as it is, is still serving fine for A to B transportation. So therefore I'm really not interested in an Accord or similar. I'm interested in an a4 for the technology/features and more luxurious drive. Quattro is a bonus too. I have some experience with the brand so I'm really not looking for feedback on Audi the brand, but moreso the B9 A4. My objective if I should purchase this car is not an absolute minimization of ownership costs.

Granted, if someone has a horror story about a 17+ A4 I'd be interested in hearing it, I'm not out to buy a total lemon. But more/more costly repairs than a Honda is ok, I expect it.

Sample of n=1 and all, but still...good read.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/a4/2017/2017-audi-a4-20t-quattro-review-long-term-verdict/

I test drove a 2019 A4 Quattro recently. Seats and interior are first class, and the ride was very nice. I liked the extra HP with the Quattro, as the FWD A4 didn't have enough power with the base engine.

I prefer the 3 or 4 series BMW sedan for driving, but the interior and seats are much better on the A4. Trunk is huge, and it also has a spare tire. This is a plus for me as BMW doesn't include them any longer.

Did not purchase the A4, but I can see why they are popular.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Get the Arteon instead.

A 2019 GLI would be a nice option too, especially with the long bumper to bumper warranty that's included.

100% agree

Only thing about B9 A4 2.0 is that has Quattro Ultra system. So far it proved exceptional, but it does not offer 40/60% constant torque split.
EA888 is probably one of the best 2.0 turbo engines as VW is longest in this business. Only engine I would say is better in that category is BMW B48 engine. It is also moved back 3mm compared to B8.
Wait few more posts and you will be told to buy Mazda or Toyota.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Only thing about B9 A4 2.0 is that has Quattro Ultra system. So far it proved exceptional, but it does not offer 40/60% constant torque split.
EA888 is probably one of the best 2.0 turbo engines as VW is longest in this business. Only engine I would say is better in that category is BMW B48 engine. It is also moved back 3mm compared to B8.

This post made me smile.

Mazda does not offer a comparable vehicle, though, and neither does Toyota. BMW and MB are the only competitors in this segment that I am aware of.

Originally Posted by Ws6

This post made me smile.

Mazda does not offer a comparable vehicle, though, and neither does Toyota. BMW and MB are the only competitors in this segment that I am aware of.

That is irrelevant on BITOG.

I have a 2018 A4 prem + with 11k miles which we are very happy with. Also have a 2018 Q5 prem+ with 10k miles and have no issues. I believe the A4 has the traditional quattro. The Q5 has the quattro Ultra. We had a 2007 A6 which only had a bad bluetooth module and a slenoid for the variable cams go in 150k miles that we owned it, it was a very reliable car had it for 11-12 years. It will cost you a little more on the long run than a honda or toyota but they really arent in the same league.

Guys, what you talking about? Audi A6 with 150k and 165k? That is impossible on BITOG. And according to BITOG you suppose to bankrupt by now.

Guys, what you talking about? Audi A6 with 150k and 165k? That is impossible on BITOG. And according to BITOG you suppose to bankrupt by now.

Yep. Better trade it in for a soul crushing Camry or Crown Vic!

Our neighbors currently have a 2016 A4 and a 2019 A4, they love them. For the ten years I have known them, they have always had one Audi or VW leased and one purchased. The guy does a 180 mile interstate round trip at 80-85 mph 5 days a week for work, so he buys a barely used car and ends up putting a bunch of miles on it pretty quickly and then replaces it after 3 to 4 years at less than 200K miles. With his usage, he will only go through a few sets of tires and a couple sets of brakes in that time and the car will look new when he sells it, aside from the front bumper. He changes the oil every other month. His wife has a more typical commute of ~40 miles a day, her car typically needs maintenance or repairs more frequently. Both of their cars drive very well and I haven't heard any real complaints. They usually go for the Premium + (I think) trim, typically in dark gray and white respectively.

My 2006 pos Audi pos A4 pos blew the engine.

Twice.

Out of warranty.

It was driven only during warm months, and most trips were my 1 hour country highway (55mph) commute.

As you can guess by my posting on BITOG, I was religious in changing oil and filter, and the engine and cabin filters, too.

I *knew* that I was making a mistake when I bought it, but had some cash to blow. At least I had the presence of mind to hold on to my 2000 Outback.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
My 2006 pos Audi pos A4 pos blew the engine.

Twice.

Out of warranty.

It was driven only during warm months, and most trips were my 1 hour country highway (55mph) commute.

As you can guess by my posting on BITOG, I was religious in changing oil and filter, and the engine and cabin filters, too.

I *knew* that I was making a mistake when I bought it, but had some cash to blow. At least I had the presence of mind to hold on to my 2000 Outback.

My friend blew 1.8T in A4, same engine that on another thread has 360k. He blew it at 80k. Changed oil every 5k, except, he was changing it with wrong oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back