Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by burla
So redline 5w30 is known to be a tick killer, no oil like it that I have seen and for those interested we have tested many. One particular case redline wouldn't kill the guys tick, his application was 40 weight, and he added liqui moly mos2 to his redline run and the tick was killed. So overrated, depends on what you are using it for. We do believe this guys issue was piston slap and not lifters as it was a cold thing only, but clearly it worked.

The customer should pull out all the MOS2 which sank to the bottom of his oil pan and re-sell it.

I was thinking the pistons expanded as the engine heated up & killed the cold piston slap.
But whatever.

He had the piston slap with every oil he tried, redline quieted significantly but he still had pisten slap especially yes when cold, he lives in the U P, so snow belt. However, the point is he added the mos2 kind of out of the blue and had no piston slap, not even in the cold. Take it for what it's worth, I know the guy he is a friend, so I believe him 100 on it. He is still doing some more testing, different redline's have different effects as we see, for example the 0w40 and 10w40 do not kill tick as good as 5w40, it's just a thing reported by many 6.4 owners. Same holds true with 5w30 versus 10w30 or 0w30 for whatever reason the 5w30 redline does the best as noted by like 1/2 the forum over there. More testing needed with mos2, but when asked if it is over rated by OP, I guess it depends if you are just going off uoa's or maybe trying to quite some start up chatter. I have one example where it did so, in that case not over rated imo, just what the doctor ordered. Still curious if the moly slimes up those spots, then maybe long term there could be issues, dont know, but I know it quieted down this slap in this instance.

Originally Posted by ad244
Hey BITOGers
Ive never seen a oil analysis which really showed an amazing result when using Liquimoly.... Is the stuff overrated especially when you factor in the cost?

Can't most of the same spec's be met with a lot of the Mobil 1 or Castrol offerings?

No it's not underrated. Liqui-Moly makes your engine quieter and smoother. No, I do not associate with the Product makers.

No, the same spec cannot be met using Castrol and my experiences with Mobil-1 says my other engines were louder using it. Not sure what you meant with saying 'most of the spec.
I suppose "most" could be construed as anything above 50%.

I have first hand experience using both Castrol Edge Titanium and Liqui-Moly.....see my Signature. My next oil is likely to be Valvoline Advanced. I'll let members know if things change with sound and feel then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hey BITOGers
Ive never seen a oil analysis which really showed an amazing result when using Liquimoly.... Is the stuff overrated especially when you factor in the cost?

Can't most of the same spec's be met with a lot of the Mobil 1 or Castrol offerings?

No it's not underrated. Liqui-Moly makes your engine quieter and smoother. No, I do not associate with the Product makers.

No, the same spec cannot be met using Castrol and my experiences with Mobil-1 says my other engines were louder using it. Not sure what you meant with saying 'most of the spec.

I have first hand experience using both Castrol Edge Titanium and Liqui-Moly.....see my Signature. My next oil is likely to be Valvoline Advanced. I'll let members know if things change with sound and feel then.

Care to explain?

"He had the piston slap with every oil he tried, redline quieted significantly but he still had pisten slap especially yes when cold, he lives in the U P, so snow belt. However, the point is he added the mos2 kind of out of the blue and had no piston slap"

I have a Honda lawn mower that was very noisy. I had the same experience with adding mos2 to it. Quieted it down a lot. I was very surprised, being one who would mock someone saying their car engine got smoother/quieter with an oil change.

Live and learn, I guess.

I'm also running it in 2 cars, 2 lawn tractors, and a week wacker. I have NOT noticed any noise reduction in any of those engines.

Specs = Approvals, and yes, Castrol 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 typically have all of the same approvals, at a lower price, than the comparable LM product.

The rest of your post is pure incoherent rambling
21.gif

Next time you're in a Partsource, see if they have any LM in stock. At least one of ours does here, and its regular price is better than the ordinary North American alternatives. Of course, they don't have the 50% off rotating sales on LM.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Specs = Approvals, and yes, Castrol 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 typically have all of the same approvals, at a lower price, than the comparable LM product.

The rest of your post is pure incoherent rambling
21.gif

There's nothing incoherent with that post. You use verbage to arrive at findings. I use real world, live witnessing..... actual occurrences. Paper is not always correct.

Always wash your hands good & long, after touching oil. Never take your fingers to your mouth prior to washing. Otherwise Delirium could occur. You do best when you avoid discussions on a product you have no experience with.

Last edited:
Also they have stickers so there's that 🤣

20190711_080340.jpg

There's nothing incoherent with that post.

Oh, there's a ton, but I digress, you in no way addressed my point.

You use verbage to arrive at findings.

I put a lot of stock in actual tear-down performance, such as that performed by Doug Hillary. The verbiage in question, I assume, since you haven't clarified, was with regarding what the "specs" were, which is where you simply started spouting word salad. I was not the only one confused by what you were trying to say, as edyvw also has no idea what you are talking about.

I use real world, live witnessing..... actual occurrences. Paper is not always correct.

You'll need to explain this. So you run your own set of extensive engine approval tests that are more robust in nature than the likes of Porsche A40, LL-01, 229.5x....etc? Or are you saying you dump in oil A, it sounds quieter, has the "mad smoothness" or some other arbitrary subjective metric and in your mind, that's more valid proof of performance than actual tear-down validation testing?

Always wash your hands good & long, after touching oil. Never take your fingers to your mouth prior to washing. Otherwise Delirium could occur. You do best when you avoid discussions on a product you have no experience with.

Right... so perhaps you should take that advice.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
That is the consensus here on several posts on the topic (some mine). I have been using LM on my Golf Sportwagen and it certainly looks fine to me in terms of UOA but I'm sure I can achieve the same results for half the price. I paid ~$65 delivered for my last LM oil change kit from an online Euro-part retailer I like to purchase from that included 6L of oil, a VW filter, and drain plug. I like the convenience and the hate to say it, we all get to spend money on what we want and I like it so I buy it. If going to Walmart and getting M1 or Castrol 0W40 on sale and rebates etc. and getting filters/drain plugs on Amazon is your thing, by all means go with it! I know a lot of folks say the 0W40 oils (for those looking for the typical Euro approvals i.e. VW502.00) are higher-quality than the LM 5W40. This is my last UOA.

Not an amazing UOA honestly for what it costs IMO? Maybe im missing something?

Pentosin seems to be a better oil from what Ive seen and can be had even cheaper?

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=d254754d9d11e88243917eb5262827b9

Last edited:
That is the consensus here on several posts on the topic (some mine). I have been using LM on my Golf Sportwagen and it certainly looks fine to me in terms of UOA but I'm sure I can achieve the same results for half the price. I paid ~$65 delivered for my last LM oil change kit from an online Euro-part retailer I like to purchase from that included 6L of oil, a VW filter, and drain plug. I like the convenience and the hate to say it, we all get to spend money on what we want and I like it so I buy it. If going to Walmart and getting M1 or Castrol 0W40 on sale and rebates etc. and getting filters/drain plugs on Amazon is your thing, by all means go with it! I know a lot of folks say the 0W40 oils (for those looking for the typical Euro approvals i.e. VW502.00) are higher-quality than the LM 5W40. This is my last UOA.

Not an amazing UOA honestly for what it costs IMO? Maybe im missing something?

Pentosin seems to be a better oil from what Ive seen and can be had even cheaper?

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=d254754d9d11e88243917eb5262827b9

Not missing a thing, just stating that the LM works great for me and I choose to buy it. If you want to get the same UOA for half the price, also a good choice. I should switch next change to have some comparison between the two but I'm sure they will look nearly identical.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Hmmm, one would think that an oil made by Liqui"moly" ... would have more than a measly 1 ppm of it in the used oil analysis. I don't think I have seen another UOA with that little of content, pretty ironic...but hey, that's just me.
12.gif

They should change the name to Liqui-calcium or something a little more accurate.

And Quaker State should be renamed b/c I'm fairly confident Quakers aren't involved in it's production...

You would be right except that the name Quaker State was chosen in order to differentiate the oils' origins from others in the region (Pennsylvania = the Quaker State) as it had a formulation that was the only oil that could lubricate a specific brand of car that was tough on oil in the 1912 era.

coffee2.gif

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social...nesses-and-occupations/quaker-state-corp

Last edited:
very over rated. I'm sure they have some great formulas out of the 1000 different formulas they have but its not a brand you can blindly buy and assume your getting superior oil for your extra money. I have had many local shops push it during my 15 year euro VW/BMW phase.

Moly works, at least for me, on 2 petrol Euro engines. Not night and day but its a 5 buck additive, cmon.
You can skip the Liqui part.

Last edited:
It's made in Germany, so it must be good.

Liqui Moly oil is over-rated, just like Motul.

The german shops swear by the Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40. But for its cost and "Full Synthetic" label on the bottle, it better be a full synthetic. But its MSDS says the basestock is nothing but Group III oil, just like the 6100 oils with Synthetic Technology.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
It's made in Germany, so it must be good.

Liqui Moly oil is over-rated, just like Motul.

The german shops swear by the Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40. But for its cost and "Full Synthetic" label on the bottle, it better be a full synthetic. But its MSDS says the basestock is nothing but Group III oil, just like the 6100 oils with Synthetic Technology.

To be fair, Liqui Moly is the best selling oil brand here in Germany, very widely used. Nothing to compalin.

But, yes, it is average, good Qualitiy, on paar with Shell, Castrol etc. Nothing special.

So, it is worth the high Import prices in the USA? Very doubtfulll! Here in Germany, the prices are almost on par.

Motul, on the other hand, just lost a lawsuit here in Germany for wrong advertising and labeling, claiming "Fully Synthetic (Group IV) " on some products here in germany, specialy their X-cess 5w-40, where in realtiy the oil was Group III. The products are re-labeld now, called "Techno Synthesis".

Ask me wich Company is overrated in my opinion...

I won't say Motul is overrated, just that exactly like LM, it's way too expensive out of its country of origin, for some reason.

I'd say it's on par with the other brands. Price of 5 liters of X-Cess 5W40 ? Around 25€, on par with the big brands at regular supermarkets (SHU is generally the cheapest you can find, unless you buy online and then it's often the Total Quartz 9000 Energy). Pay 3€ more and get the X-Max 0W40 if you want PAO...but $50 for some X-Cess...not for me.

As for their labelling, well, I guess they try to take any edge they can find, be it justified or not. Buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back