Frame bending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooooo, I got rear ended the other day in my 4Runner. My question is this: It's likely to be fixed, and overall, the damage isn't horrendous enough that it will be totaled. But the frame is going to have to be pulled back into line, and I'm wondering if there is a point where a frame is "fixable", but the integrity still has taken a hit? I don't want to get rid of the truck, I love it. But I have a family, safety, etc.

At what point do you bail on a frame-repaired vehicle, even if it was deemed fixable?

Happened in Michigan on I-96, which is a no-fault state. It was a chain reaction rear-ending of 4 cars... I was in the front and didn't hit anyone. The driver that started it fled. No one else was cited because of that. I'm pretty much on my own + my insurance.

Aren't there tolerances by the shop to limit a fubar'd frame from being put back into service?

And I'm not sure no fault means you can't seek diminished value. I'd call your agent and double check that...

Edit: it sounds like you have a "phantom motorist" situation against your own insurer and maybe diminished value is something that might not apply. Either way, check with your agent..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
If you're using your own insurance you can't claim diminished value.

Yeah, i didn't think one could. You'd probably see gobs of people trying to commit fraud by not only wrecking their own car and having it fixed but making a little money on top of the repair work.

I once had a phantom motorist claim when someone cracked my rear bumper cover in a store parking lot. My insurance paid the claim and thankfully when it came time for renewal I wasn't "rated", I think that was owing to the fact that I had zero claims in many, many years.

Call your friendly neighborhood Studebaker or DeSoto dealership and inquire as to which local bodyshop pays the highest referral fee.

Wait, it's 2019! You can go on goldclass.com or bodyshopology.com to find a shop that is certified by the Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair. Choose your shop from that small subset of the industry.

Originally Posted by Ethan1
Call your friendly neighborhood Studebaker or DeSoto dealership and inquire as to which local bodyshop pays the highest referral fee.

Wait, it's 2019! You can go on goldclass.com or bodyshopology.com to find a shop that is certified by the Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair. Choose your shop from that small subset of the industry.

Heh found a shop down here thats "12 year Gold Class rated" and I wouldnt never touch that shop with a 20 foot pole...

Yes, you might do well to steer clear of Service King. Read my post... read your own post... "Choose your shop from that small subset of the industry."

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Originally Posted by Ethan1

Heh found a shop down here thats "12 year Gold Class rated" and I wouldnt never touch that shop with a 20 foot pole...

I had a very minor accident and used an I-Car certified shop. They screwed the thing up so bad I ended up getting rid of it.

Originally Posted by thunderfog

At what point do you bail on a frame-repaired vehicle, even if it was deemed fixable?

That's a good question, but I guess a severely bent frame would have all sorts of other associated damage, where the costs add up to the point repairs come close to or exceed vehicle value.

I feel for ya either way. I dread having to need collision repair. The repair will always be just as good as how many dollars you're willing to throw at it. Commodity vehicle and insurance payout collision service = mediocre at best. The paint generally sucks worse than factory and someone will always be able to tell collision work was done.

If you demand super good work and a shop is willing and able to do it, ask them would it would cost for a proper job.

Last edited:
I am the parts manager at a large body shop, so I can share some of my knowledge.
I am not a certified frame tech and have not seen your frame, so take this as a generalization.
A frame that is torn, crushed or kinked is not typically considered repairable.
Frames from certain vehicles have sections that are replaceable, other cars do not.

A shop needs a good quality frame rack, and precision measuring equipment to do a proper frame repair.
Our shop has a laser system that uses reflectors mounted at specified points and a centrally located spinning laser.
An experienced tech with this type of equipment can make a frame straighter than it left the factory. They are that precise.
Its all about finding a shop with the right equipment and a tech that knows the proper way to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back