Best product to MAINTAIN cleaned headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edwardh1
Originally Posted by Skippy722
A lot of the guys on the headlight junkies Facebook page I follow rave about this stuff.

https://www.spraymax.com/en/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/2k-clear-coat/

it says the 2k potlife is 48 hrs --what does that mean?

You have 48 hours after activating it to spray whatever is in the can before it "kicks" and hardens up. The SprayMax 2K cans are just like a 2K primer/clearcoat a painter would use in a body shop that's mixed with an activator and poured into a spray gun.

The difference is that you activate the SprayMax can by turning the can upside down and using the red cap that's attached to the top cap, you press firmly on a little stem that contains the activator. Give the can a shake and it sprays like a spray gun.

I've used the stuff on my bike and more recently my parent's headlights. It's good stuff.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Our daily driver vehicles are kept outside 24/7. In the past, I couldn't keep the headlight housings clear for very long. With the two 2015 vehicles in my signature, I have been waxing the lenses after each wash and often in between washes by first cleaning them(soap & water) then the wax(NuFinish or similar).

But were those vehicles the same make, model, and year? Or is it possible that different quality or formula of clear coat or polycarbonate was used on the lenses?

Here is what Meguiars has to say:
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?4340-17-Do-car-waxes-provide-real-UV-protection

Thank you!
That link was only to a Meguiar's forum. And they were talking about paint protection and not really about headlight lense fogging/hazing. Paint protection isn't an issue with my cars. They stay shiny for my complete ownership...upwards of 15-18 yrs.

But to answer your question, both vehicles were purchased new...One was an 01 Lexus RX and the other was an 04 Altima. Both vehicles headlight lenses started hazing at about the same age. I didn't see where one headlight lense material(LEXUS) was any better quality than the other(NISSAN).

Last edited:
KEEP THEM WAXED! wax mine monthly with paste wax and then spray wax after every wash, still look as good as the day i bought my cars.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
KEEP THEM WAXED! wax mine monthly with paste wax and then spray wax after every wash, still look as good as the day i bought my cars.
cheers3.gif

I think this is the key to keeping all these cheap plastic headlights in good shape. My first 3000GT was almost brand new when I bought it,so the headlights were still in new condition. I kept them waxed therefore they never degraded. Taking meticulous care of them from day one is probably the answer.

When I got my Accord I cleaned them up with a Magic Eraser and just use spray wax on them regularly. Keeps them looking like new.

Sprayway glass cleaner

Duragloss PBA(pre-bonding agent)

Duragloss #111 (pure sealant)

Had all products on hand for paint, glass etc...and around $25 for all three products. Check Amazon or Duragloss.com.

I use Turtle Wax Ice (NOT TW Seal N Shine) on my headlights, both glass and plastic. I've used it since it came out around 05 or 06 and I've never had a headlight with UV fading, clouding, or damage. It keeps them pretty clean, too. Usually I'll just use the spray version and it takes seconds to apply.

It appears that if you maintain the lens from the git, you are good. Once they begin turning they will generally keep recurring and have to be treated again. My Frontier was in this category and once every 3 months the lenses were polished with my PC using Plastix. This happens even though I am garaged at home and work.
I was watching TruckU one morning in May last year and they advertised E2 Lens Renew. I ordered the product and applied it in late May last year. That's it. No clouding or any touch up in over a year and the finish is still perfect! A cleaner polish and a clear sealant provided in the package and it was easy.

Meguiars kit (~$14) includes a spray coating that claims to last at least one year. I would assume if you kept it waxed with something that has a good UV protectant in it that it might last even longer before you'd have to re-coat it (spay itself is like $8 a can and can do several cars with two coats per lens each). Just used this kit on three cars so time will tell.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Two...&hvtargid=pla-548965069114&psc=1

I got about a year out of the Megs Headlight spray. But car is outside 24/7 in the rust belt. Wouldn't buy again, after all the masking it found it's way to part of the bumper/fender as overspray. But that quickly washed off of course those parts had a sealant on them.

What about something like 303 protectant, would it work? It is supposed to have some UV protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cb450sc
What about something like 303 protectant, would it work? It is supposed to have some UV protection.

I tried 303 on my aunt's Lexus GS300 the other day...I'll see how it holds up. It will likely need to be applied somewhat regularly.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
The wife's 7 year old Honda Accord has crystal clear headlights....just by keeping it washed regularly and applying a good UV protectant sealant (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid). Occasionally a quick spray of Chemical Guys Blazin' Banana (also has UV protection) is done.

[Linked Image]

I question how much UV protection waxes and sealers and the like REALLY offer. Do you have some hard data on that?

Look online under UV damage to headlights...it's one of the top causes of yellowing lenses...

I've used regular cleanings followed by canopy polish/protectant for the past 25+ years on my lenses with great results. 210, my favorite, and Plexus mostly with the various Maguire(sp?) products for aggressive cleaning.

I think the best that would be maintenance-free is using an automotive 2k clear coat (2-part with catalyst). I previously tried a hardware store clear coat (not a 2-part) and it seemed after running it through a few car wash places it would start peeling. It also seemed to yellow over time I believe. Here's what I used this last time and it's been holding up great:

Spraymax 2K Glamour clear

If you can, keep the headlamps out of the direct sunlight, or at least point them away from the sun.

I have been doing this for years and none of my headlamps have even started to yellow.

With clearcoat you'll want to be sure it's one designed for how it's being used. Some will start to discolor and peel off if used on headlights. I haven't seen his chrisfix's video however you want to see what it looks like after a period of time. Just polishing with no protectant will look great right after completion, it won't hold up though. Meguires headlight coating is pretty good and designed for the specific application. I did see a few Scotty Kilmer I remember for sure had it on his cars for several years before doing his video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back