Pennzoil Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
Is this product discontinued?

My 2018 Silverado calls for 0w20. However it sits (not started) for up to 3 weeks … so thought moving off majority PAO (Mobil 1) would be a good idea for film retention.
Well it was a challenge to find a semi synthetic in this grade and still have a Dexos badge.
Found PG on eBay at $90 for six gallons. Noticed they also had 5w20 and 5w30 for the same price, fast and free shipping … showed the boxes stacked on pallets if anybody is interested

For essentially the same price give or take, use Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic, it is a fantastic buy for under $20.
Why use a synthetic blend when you can use a high quality full synthetic for the same price, or less even when Menards has it on sale for $14.99 for 5qts.
Mobil 1 is about $23 at WM and that's a phenomenal 0W-20 motor oil.

I used Pennzoil Gold 0W-20 in my '14 Camry for one oil change just to try it and it served it's purpose for 5,000 miles (30,000-35,000 miles) but since I switched to Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20, the engine has gotten quieter both at operating temp and at startup and my mileage improved by about 0.3-0.5 mpg overall. I know that's not significant, but its a small positive impact to my wallet and the environment (the improvement in mileage over 10,000 miles essentially pays for the materials for me to perform my next oil change when using the Mobil 1 AFE).

Cheers,

1911Champ

I always liked the bronze bottle prior to it becoming the DEXOS licensed.

Really don't know what this will do for you.

You could use M1 0W20 AFE that is NOT majority PAO (per the SDS)

Don't let the truck sit for three weeks
smile.gif

Maybe Pennzoil High Mileage 10w30 or Castrol Magnatec

Good luck.

Already dropped the Tahoe (same engine) from M1 EP to M1 AFE since the OLM and my schedule are only letting me run around 6k OCI's under warranty. The L83's are DI on thin oil ... so I'm not running too long regardless.

PAO is pretty "dry" and it's been mentioned here many times that the (capillary) film retention is weaker than conventional oils … guessing semi synthetic is somewhat in between …
I'll probably just run 5k-6k on the truck … and use my bulk PF63E filters.

It can be purchased at Walmart online for slightly cheaper per quart than the Ebay listing.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Already dropped the Tahoe (same engine) from M1 EP to M1 AFE since the OLM and my schedule are only letting me run around 6k OCI's under warranty. The L83's are DI on thin oil ... so I'm not running too long regardless.

PAO is pretty "dry" and it's been mentioned here many times that the (capillary) film retention is weaker than conventional oils … guessing semi synthetic is somewhat in between …
I'll probably just run 5k-6k on the truck … and use my bulk PF63E filters.

For mine I have used PPHM, Napa Syn, AC Delco Synblend, and STHM. There really has been no difference I can tell.

I don't think it's discontinued. However, my coworker uses it and it has dried up on the shelves around him.

Looking at the reviews of it on Pennzoils website the first comment says it's hard to find.

I checked Walmart first and it was not cheaper … what did you see it for ?

Link

Your ebay listing (assuming this is the posting you saw) has 6 gallons (24 quarts) at $90.01, or $3.75/qt. Walmart has:

3- 5 quart jugs (15 quarts) for $56.14-- $3.74/quart (essentially the same)
6- 5 quart jugs (30 quarts) at $108.92-- $3.63/quart (slightly cheaper)

You can go crazy and get 9- 5 quart jugs at $3.56/quart or 12- 5 quart jugs at $3.52/quart. Either way, it's either the same price or cheaper than the e-bay listing and it's probably a little less questionable, ie: making returns, making sure it's newer stock, etc.

Last edited:
Is this Pennzoil syn blend essentially the same (aside from 0w) as this QS D1G2 syn blend? Can you go to a 5w30?? The QS is $2 cheaper..

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
I'd definitely switch to the easier-to-get QS product

The QS is sitting on the shelf right now at my local WM for $17 and change or for orders over $35 have it shipped right to your front door for the exact same price.

Otherwise QSUD (on Rollback), ProDS and ST full syn kill it at that price point.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Is this product discontinued?

My 2018 Silverado calls for 0w20. However it sits (not started) for up to 3 weeks … so thought moving off majority PAO (Mobil 1) would be a good idea for film retention.
Well it was a challenge to find a semi synthetic in this grade and still have a Dexos badge.
Found PG on eBay at $90 for six gallons. Noticed they also had 5w20 and 5w30 for the same price, fast and free shipping … showed the boxes stacked on pallets if anybody is interested

Pennzoil in gallon containers is something I haven't seen in years. I wouldn't buy that old Ebay stuff. You may uncap it and get bit.

What about Castrol Magnatec ?

It's a full synthetic (Group III) but with a bit of Group V added (polar molecule) that attaches to the metal surface and resists drain back.

It's a decent price, Dexos rated, and easy to find too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5

It's a full synthetic (Group III) but with a bit of Group V added (polar molecule) that attaches to the metal surface and resists drain back.

Thanks … you clearly did actually read the post and understand …
However, I had a bad experience with Magnatec in a Pentastar V6. Maybe not related but I passed it over.
I have ordered the PG … Thanks all …

Originally Posted by 4WD

Originally Posted by SR5

Thanks … you clearly did actually read the post and understand …
However, I had a bad experience with Magnatec in a Pentastar V6. Maybe not related but I passed it over.
I have ordered the PG … Thanks all …

Sorry, I was focused on
Originally Posted by 4WD
it sits (not started) for up to 3 weeks … so thought moving off majority PAO (Mobil 1) would be a good idea for film retention.

But yep, all about PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back