Best product to MAINTAIN cleaned headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've gotten pretty good at cleaning hazed headlight lenses since i got the buffer; just using 1Z car polish and Klasse AIO, I can get a set of old hazed headlights looking almost like new. did it for several cars belonging to friends and family and instructed them to wax them every few months... but I've been wondering:

What really IS the best way to MAINTAIN the finish I achieved? is waxing every few months really enough?
If so, which waxes are best for this application?

Are there any other products that can actually protect / seal the finish better than wax? What about spray clearcoat?

If anyone has any suggestions, please post. TIA.

Last edited:
There are aftermarket clear polymer protectors that fit over the headlights. Of course; every make, model, and year are different....

I wrap mine. It's part of t he front wrap I have done on all new vehicles I buy. Keeps them flawless unless you get something ridiculous thrown up at them.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
So i've gotten pretty good at cleaning hazed headlight lenses since i got the buffer; just using 1Z car polish and Klasse AIO, I can get a set of old hazed headlights looking almost like new. did it for several cars belonging to friends and family and instructed them to wax them every few months... but I've been wondering:

What really IS the best way to MAINTAIN the finish I achieved? is waxing every few months really enough?
If so, which waxes are best for this application?

Are there any other products that can actually protect / seal the finish better than wax? What about spray clearcoat?

If anyone has any suggestions, please post. TIA.

Spray them with a clear coat.

Yep clearcoat...although...might be better off replacing the headlight assemblies if the car is planned to be kept a long time and to clearcoat the new assemblies with a few coats...ive tried almost everything on mine and ive given up, it just ends up being too much work to keep them clear to save a couple hundred bucks (in my case) for new assemblies.

Ceramic coating. If they're new and clean already, a clear wrap like Xpel or similar. If you Really want a lot of protection, Xpel and then ceramic coat it on top of the xpel.

The wife's 7 year old Honda Accord has crystal clear headlights....just by keeping it washed regularly and applying a good UV protectant sealant (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid). Occasionally a quick spray of Chemical Guys Blazin' Banana (also has UV protection) is done.

[Linked Image]

Wrap with Xpel and then ceramic coat. I'd it ever hazes again, just peel and re-wrap.

I wouldn't bother with clear coat that will require sanding again in the future.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
The wife's 7 year old Honda Accord has crystal clear headlights....just by keeping it washed regularly and applying a good UV protectant sealant (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid). Occasionally a quick spray of Chemical Guys Blazin' Banana (also has UV protection) is done.

[Linked Image]

I question how much UV protection waxes and sealers and the like REALLY offer. Do you have some hard data on that?

Our daily driver vehicles are kept outside 24/7. In the past, I couldn't keep the headlight housings clear for very long. With the two 2015 vehicles in my signature, I have been waxing the lenses after each wash and often in between washes by first cleaning them(soap & water) then the wax(NuFinish or similar).

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Our daily driver vehicles are kept outside 24/7. In the past, I couldn't keep the headlight housings clear for very long. With the two 2015 vehicles in my signature, I have been waxing the lenses after each wash and often in between washes by first cleaning them(soap & water) then the wax(NuFinish or similar).

But were those vehicles the same make, model, and year? Or is it possible that different quality or formula of clear coat or polycarbonate was used on the lenses?

Here is what Meguiars has to say:
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?4340-17-Do-car-waxes-provide-real-UV-protection

Last edited:
The first time I treated my headlights with the 3M kit, they came out great, but quickly clouded again. After the second treatment with the 3M kit, I applied a coat of U-POL Clear #1 UV Resistant Clear Coat spray and they have stayed nice and clear for several years so for. Just be sure to do a really good job of masking off the entire hood, grill, bumper and fenders to keep overspray off the paint. It travels pretty far.

This is what I used:

Amazon Link to U-POL

The easy and simple answer is to use a LSP with uv protection included and apply that to your headlight lenses.

I don't bother trying to seal them because I haven't found anything that works. I just go over the lenses every couple of weeks with rubbing compound by hand and this seems to keep them nice and clear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back