UOA: 2004 YZF-R1 1758mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil was in the sump at least 2 years, up to 4, it's been so long I can't remember. When the oil went in, the filter was never removed, so there was that much of RT6 CJ-4 with about 1200mi on it. Oil dumped according to shift feel, K&N air, XG 7317 oil. Filter still on (8k mi factory interval, not that I'm going that far on it).
Have been riding the sportster, and this thing got a few runs here and there, mostly shorter trips of 8mi ride to work. Oil plug had > 1/16" thick of fuzz.
In went a drop of the Delo left over, mostly VR1 20w50, Sample may or may not have some silicon from dust on the fairing, I didn't bother taking anything off, so the stream was hitting the plastic. I let it rinse until the stream was nearly done, and sampled then.

20190621_145027.jpg

r1 uoa to post.jpg

How is the bike running otherwise ? To me the iron seems high, but I forget if your bike has a wet clutch- my earlier Genesis-motored Yamahas all had wet clutch so maybe that affects iron. And the iron has to be either rings, valves-seats or the clutch as there is not too much iron left in those bikes.

Bike runs just fine for what it is. The iron is shedding off the gearbox, I'm sure.

I would switch over on the next oil change to something that better for shared-oil gearboxes, and in my mind neither the Valvoline VR1 or the Qucksilver products fit the bill. I personally use Amsoil 20w50 and my UOA's have been good.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I would switch over on the next oil change to something that better for shared-oil gearboxes, and in my mind neither the Valvoline VR1 or the Qucksilver products fit the bill. I personally use Amsoil 20w50 and my UOA's have been good.

My plans include M1 15w50, and something else cheap. It would be nice to find something that will be within 13cst by 2k miles, which is asking too much from any oil used in a YZF-R* according everything on the interwebs. Seeing the Amsoil (10w40) doesn't fair any better than the ole Brotella, I am not convinced AMSoil is "better".
I might just have to stick to the ole HDEO and just dump it every 1k, as I have serious doubts that anything can withstand the shear forces in this machine [and still be usable down to freezing temps].

Mobil has a rebate going on. I'd get a few handles of the 15w50 and swap it at 2k if you want to be extra cautious. May not come out black, but it'd be just as cheap and it shouldn't generate more deposits than HDEO.
Plus you get a higher HTHS for the cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back