Worst AC failure I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suzuki grand Vitara. AC compressor failed and locked up. It spit metal all through the entire AC system. We get metal often from failures but nothing like this.

I ran 2 cans of flush and 2 cans of brakecleaner through just one line and it looks like a silver mine.

I'm concerned about this one. What if there is some metal stuck in a corner somewhere? How can I be sure that its all out?

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. I need a new phone.

IMG_20190710_163917.jpg

IMG_20190710_163927.jpg

Originally Posted by atikovi
Doesn't the compressor manufacturer require you to install a filter for just such a case?

No. They dont want any restriction on the suction side

You'll never get it all out. The hard lines, maybe. Hoses/condenser/expansion valve/evaporator core are all screwed.

The only way to do it right will be to replace everything with that level of failure.

I think you will have to replace everything. Looks like it ground itself to death slowly rather than all at once, so much fine metal. Probably have to show your pics and explain to the customer, and replace everything.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
You'll never get it all out. The hard lines, maybe. Hoses/condenser/expansion valve/evaporator core are all screwed.

The only way to do it right will be to replace everything with that level of failure.

Yep. Its going to be a $2k+ repair. Wonder what the blue book is on an 18 yr old vitara anyway

I wish I had pictures from some of the crap I've found in rescue ac systems. Thick black gunk along with metal you could go mining for.

Originally Posted by mattd
I wish I had pictures from some of the crap I've found in rescue ac systems. Thick black gunk along with metal you could go mining for.

That black gunk is generally referred to as " black death"

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Originally Posted by mattd

That black gunk is generally referred to as " black death"

Isn't that the primary problem with previous generation Honda CR-Vs?

@Chris:

So are you going to put a filter on the suction line anyway? Seems like the prudent thing to do. I'd tell the customer that you might have to return for the filter to be changed/cleaned of debris and the system recharged a couple/ few additional times, still would be cheaper than replacing all the components, right?

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen on a 2002 Accord a few years back. Compressor seized up and filled the entire system with debris. Replaced everything but the evaporator core in the dash and still had a complete blockage. Ended up spending $1,200 and replacing every component in the A/C system. The mechanic who took out the core from the dash said it was chock full of debris.

Explain everything to the customer and give him the worst case scenarios. Get it in writing what he (she?) wants to do.
It won't matter though. You will get blamed for the failure that soon happens down the road.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Explain everything to the customer and give him the worst case scenarios. Get it in writing what he (she?) wants to do.
It won't matter though. You will get blamed for the failure that soon happens down the road.

If a mechanic told me that I needed that fine screen filter in the suction line to prevent damage to the new compressor, and that I'd have to come back perhaps a couple of more times to get the filter cleaned and another recharge, I'd be very happy, no thrilled, with the honesty. Man it is so rare to see that in any business today much less
the auto repair business.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Kruse

If a mechanic told me that I needed that fine screen filter in the suction line to prevent damage to the new compressor, and that I'd have to come back perhaps a couple of more times to get the filter cleaned and another recharge, I'd be very happy, no thrilled, with the honesty. Man it is so rare to see that in any business today much less
the auto repair business.

I agree but most folks cant be bothered to understand things...nor are most folks bitogers...

I just replaced the compressor and condenser in my car: I did not replace anything else. There was a leak at the condenser but the PAG oil looked pretty good and no other signs of contamination. So far so good, and its held up fine for 2 weeks of driving, blowing nice and cold. Everything was done by the book, and the system held a nice vacuum for 3 hours, but now I wish I had replaced the filter on the firewall: it was very difficult to get to and I did not have the part, and at the time it seemed like a sound decision, but now I am second guessing myself.

Replace everything but the evaporator and back flush it. Add a suction screen and meep a eye on the suction pressure for a week then replace suction screen and inspect expansion device.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
Replaced everything but the evaporator core in the dash and still had a complete blockage. The mechanic who took out the [evap] core from the dash said it was chock full of debris.

HOW?

You can't get that all stuff past the restrictor orifice or the expansion valve.
21.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
..... but now I wish I had replaced the filter on the firewall: it was very difficult to get to and I did not have the part, and at the time it seemed like a sound decision, but now I am second guessing myself.

The receiver/dryer or accumulator ??

YES - replace it NOW!! I am serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back