Quality floor jack recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
AC makes really good jacks. I have the DK13HLQ and have been really pleased with it.

DK20 is great too, just make sure it is low enough for your BMW's.

Originally Posted by drtyler
AC makes really good jacks. I have the DK13HLQ and have been really pleased with it.
I have one too, I bought it used when I was obsessed with floor jacks. It's 100% made for shop use with it's low ground clearance and delicate wheels. My driveway is really uneven and I felt bad about using such a exotic jack on it. I also found it has a very sensitive and awkward release, it might be because of the extra leverage because of the D handle. I'm sure the DK20 is more versatile and rugged, but I wouldn't go out of my way for another AC unless all I cared about was a European COO.

EDIT: I remember now, the release is like a half turn or something stupid like that. It's hard to be precise with that especially when you are watching the jack stands and manipulating the jack with one hand. I guess it it meant to be used with screw-type jack stands. Deal breaker for me!
Originally Posted by Rand
What is your budget? are you looking for american only? etc.
Lol, Milwaukee Hydraulic? If you want a quality US made jack, I'm pretty sure they're the only game in town but they are expensive and you might have to wait for one. They are bordering on a rich dude's garage accessory though, imagine spilling brake fluid on one of those.

I have a HW93642 and it is pretty awesome for a standard height jack. I don't think they are made in the USA anymore but it is a beast, highly recommended.

I'd get that old one rebuilt or do it yourself if it is in good shape otherwise. Even if it is an old import jack, they are totally worth saving and the parts are available.

Last edited:
I'd buy a jack from Harbor Freight. The reviews are good, and the quality imo is very good.

i used to have a 02 330i. i only had one jack that could get under it by the center on the subframe . anything else would hit the bumper before it got under. i would get the ac dk13 to slide under the bmw. also the lift is really high . the jack i have just don't seem to lift high enough before they run out

I just purchased a Quickjack 7000 - it is exactly as it is depicted , and I am happy with it. The only drawback is that they are heavy- each weight class seems to add 10 lbs to the frame, so by the time you hit 7000 gvw each frame is close to 100 lbs. I purchased directly rather than Home Depot etc., because of no sales tax, and I found a $100 off promo that meets or beats the box stores.

https://www.quickjack.com/

I have this one in Green. Would not hesitate to make a living with it.

[Linked Image]

Thanks all for your comments. I'll probably just get the DK20, but I'm going to look at Hein Werner too but I need to verify the minimum height first.

COO is important to me.

Scott

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-LifT-G-737-Grey-Speedy-Garage/dp/B004SVQVBY

this is the most recent one that I've bought, I've had it for a couple years and really like it. it has the fast raise until it gets a load on it then jacks at the normal rate.

I got it from a local fleet farm on sale, I believe they have it at home depot etc.

I also have this combination jack that i use on all sorts of things but its only 4,000 lb lift capacity

https://www.ebay.com/p/Triple-Lift-Floor-Jack-4000lb-Capacity-Motorcycle-Car-SUV-ATV-Heavy-Duty-Tool/1248019404?iid=161468390205&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=161468390205&targetid=484887845189&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9059892&poi=&campaignid=1497794122&mkgroupid=56281259685&rlsatarget=aud-674323410221:pla-484887845189&abcId=1139466&merchantid=131363289&gclid=CjwKCAjwvJvpBRAtEiwAjLuRPRer9ix4ZsP26CNi_ciz7sliNEvkHktfKqVdI0UbKDaTGx8QfkWDKRoCufYQAvD_BwE

When you cited "quality need" in your title, you obviously knew to disregard Harbor Freight here. Some don't realize that quality products are not always the longest lasting.
The assembler that does not gamble, nor stays up late at night, has a wife & kids, does not drink, does not smoke, nor use drugs, most times produces the longest lasting products.

I would never place the words 'quality' and 'Harbor Freight' in the same sentence.

Last edited:
The DK20 will serve you well. I checked the min height, and it is just over 3" which is the same as the DK13HLQ (main difference is this has longer reach and higher lift, but at the expense of reduced capacity and higher cost). I'm sure it will work just fine with your BMW's and it will be easier to handle around the cars as it is not as long. The AC jacks have o-rings around the wheels which allow the jack to move smoothly and quietly along the garage floor. A small detail, but it is something you notice everytime it is used. The handle and mechanism is nice too. Pelican has all the parts for these too (replacement wheels, handle, rebuild kits, etc). The HW jacks are basically Taiwan or Chinese now with some assembly in the USA, although their mechanism is tried and true.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Thanks all for your comments. I'll probably just get the DK20, but I'm going to look at Hein Werner too but I need to verify the minimum height first.

COO is important to me.

Scott

Last edited:
T7 has a garage full of harbor freight tools and his pantry is filled with supertech conventional oil. Don't let him fool you with his comments. He's a sucker for house brands and decent quality Asian tools at low prices.

Along with Milwaukee Hydraulics, I would seriously consider US Jack in the list of quality floor jack makers.

I would even trust Hein Werner. I honestly can't remember details well since it's been a long time since I've looked at floor jacks - so you'll need to fact check me - when Hein Werner got acquired by a Chinese company (Shinn Fu), they moved production from overseas to the USA (Kansas City).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back