What would make BITOG better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fawteen
I read this site years ago and there were some real experts-Terry Dyson and Johnny to name a couple. The site seems to have lost most of the members who were real oil experts; now most of what you get are a handful of users who have read a few oil analysis, looked at pictures of cut open filters, and are now self-proclaimed experts. The search feature is marginal at best, and some of the information available from when the real experts were here is becoming outdated.

There is some useful information, but wading through the sophomoric noise gets old.

I've said this for awhile now,it's not the same anymore.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I personally don't think the software is all that bad.

I like the software, but as I've said elsewhere here, I'm a bad one to listen to over that, since I've used BITOG far more than any other forums, so this is the "default" for me. Everything else is oddball.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I personally don't think the software is all that bad.

I like the software, but as I've said elsewhere here, I'm a bad one to listen to over that, since I've used BITOG far more than any other forums, so this is the "default" for me. Everything else is oddball.
wink.gif

A "like" feature would be nice if the software allows for it.

A "like" feature would be nice if the software allows for it.

Please god no... but if you must, gotta have a dislike too...

What would make it better is if it was about oil and filters...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
The software is fine to me as well. The Chevy Colorado site, 355 Nation, uses the same software and I've seen it elsewhere.
That forum uses vBulletin (one of the most popular forum software packages out there).

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I am a member on three other websites that currently uses the same software so I would not say its garbage.

I suspect it's the lack of very common and popular features that most other forum s/w has that this one lacks. I mean, it only recently added the ability to insert/attach images into posts. Or the lack of a user's followed threads that show if there's been an update. Or how the s/w marks threads read (not new or unread to you) even when you've never read the thread since it bases it on your visit timestamp.

Here's another one: Say there's a thread that I've participated in and in the sub-forum, if I click it's link, it takes me to the 'new' posts so I can start off from where I left. Works relatively okay. But if I click the link for the same thread in the left-hand column - "Recent topics" - it takes me to the first post. Why ?

I don't like the "like" or "dislike" system. I used it on my forum for a short while, and it greatly hurt content as people would just like or dislike posts rather than adding useful information or contradicting information.

What I would like to see is a reputation system. That way people could give + rep to those who post useful information. It would be a way to identify the more knowledgeable members.

Another thing that could work for that is to create a badge system. It would allow for a badge to appear next to or under a person's username. The badge would be awarded only to those who display exceptional knowledge and contribution to the forum. Only an admin would be able to award the badge, with nominations and recommendations from forum members, verified by their posts, and be granted with formal recognition.

My main concern with the forum is the maintenance of useful, factual information and retention of those who provide it. Knowledge and experience should be recognized, valued, and respected.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Cataloged UOA's based on manufacturer and maybe even model.

Thats a really good idea 👌ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
What I would like to see is a reputation system. That way people could give + rep to those who post useful information. It would be a way to identify the more knowledgeable members.
Like/dislike, reputation, etc - they're all susceptible to buddies who boost each other's numbers though. I see it all the time at other forums and it's especially noticeable where every single post by a moderator gets "liked" or "thumbs up" no matter how insignificant their post was. Makes it seem like nothing more than brown-nosing !

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Like/dislike, reputation, etc - they're all susceptible to buddies who boost each other's numbers though. I see it all the time at other forums and it's especially noticeable where every single post by a moderator gets "liked" or "thumbs up" no matter how insignificant their post was. Makes it seem like nothing more than brown-nosing !

That's very true, which is why I made the second recommendation.

The idea of having something that identifies someone's profile as actually having subject matter expertise ("SME") i think would be welcomed by many.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
That forum uses vBulletin (one of the most popular forum software packages out there).

That's probably the only other forum software that I'm even remotely familiar with as a user.
wink.gif

The idea of having something that identifies someone's profile as actually having subject matter expertise ("SME") i think would be welcomed by many.

Why not just go to the Profile of the poster for example by simply clicking on the User name?
confused2.gif

Mad_Hatter Offline
From WA
Joined 05/18/19 06:22 PM
Last Seen 07/14/19 11:57 PM
Total Posts 694
Posts Per Day 12.113

Like the guy who put CEO of your mom … and when he came back under a new name … just CEO

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Why not just go to the Profile of the poster for example by simply clicking on the User name?
confused2.gif

Mad_Hatter Offline
From WA
Joined 05/18/19 06:22 PM
Last Seen 07/14/19 11:57 PM
Total Posts 694
Posts Per Day 12.113

If it's not hard to have it displayed without having to click on a profile, why not? 🤔 (your point is taken that it's not entirely necessary but it would, in my opinion at least, improve the UX)

I have shortcuts to apps on my phone despite the apps already being in the "app drawer"...same concept. ...

Originally Posted by 4WD

Like the guy who put CEO of your mom … and when he came back under a new name … just CEO

I guess I missed that one. Not something I would do but kinda funny, childish, but funny.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by 4WD

I guess I missed that one. Not something I would do but kinda funny, childish, but funny.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Originally Posted by 4WD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So the guy thought he was being slick except for the fact the two profiles gave him away... what a dolt....‚

Would be better if folks put what they do on profiles. Like when someone posts we have had warranty claims etc … and you check and they are a dealer tech etc, things add up …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back