Victim of a gorilla oil tech....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought our Hyundai Santa Fe from a dealer. Was told they changed the oil in it.

Today I go to change the oil and can't budge the drain bolt. Get out my breaker bar and turn it but it never comes out. It also won't tighten back up.

Either they hired a gorilla to do oil changes or used an impact on the drain bolt and jacked the threads.

Time for a new oil pan.

And yes the dealer got an earful!

Originally Posted by ZZman
Bought our Hyundai Santa Fe from a dealer. Was told they changed the oil in it.

It's more likely that they lied about changing the oil than borked up the threads.

I would have let the dealership deal with it in the first place. Then before I left with the car I would have rechecked to plug for tightness.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I would have let the dealership deal with it in the first place. Then before I left with the car I would have rechecked to plug for tightness.

This....and they should be on the hook for the cost of replacing the pan....although with that sort of history, I'd be worried about their basic competence.

I bought my 17 Rio from Hertz, and on the first oil change, I had the exact same problem. It weeps a lot on thin oils and I have to use the toroidal, single-use crush washers to keep it from weeping. I don't, however, feel the need to torque it down to more than 15ft-lbs max. I had a harder time pulling off the oil drain plug that first time than I did pulling off the transmission drain plug, which is specced to 35ft-lbs.

This is the perfect example of why the auto repair industry is so hated by consumers. They can't even do the most simple job correctly.
..and when they screw it up they claim innocence immediately.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Be sure to use a six point socket or box end wrench

Our 2013 Cruze was over torqued by the dealer … this became the point I bought 6 point long handle box ends … some of them used pro grade from eBay. I set up an oil change area where these are stored away from my several tool sets …

Good candidate for Fumoto valve. Sorry to hear you have this much stress because they cannot do the most primitive job.

Wait till you see what you get if you end up with a warranty engine change. They break stuff even avretarded BOCES student wouldn't. It's all about how they pay the mechanics. If you're not flying you're working free and their pay/ time chart is TIGHT. I owned a 13 and watched the Hyundai forums closely. The resident guru there is a tech who said this.
Another thing you'll se at Hyundai is the tend o use semi synthetic. Not a problem with anything really except I'd want only the very best in anything with a Theta2 engine due to its ongoing long term record of caging engines. You'll note also that they are having burnt out car issues after they put in a new warranty mill. Same situation. They were damaging the fuel line during installation . Some cool pictures of Hyundai's metering along out there looking like it's on afterburner...–

Below see my Subaru drain plug from a decade ago. Removed it with a tight 6 point box wrench and hammer. Should I say Rather NOT removed with 6 point box wrench.

Subaru changed the design and material for the FB25- big mistake. Made in China out of "Tin".

These were 17mm Hex previously. Here it's a 14mm. Note the thread O.D. is larger than the Hex. Never a problem with the 17MM.

O.P. - Take the car car back to dealer and have them repair it. Or not, Hyundia Dealers in North Hampton destroyed a couple of my cars.

Angry ex -felons taking it out on customers. Horrendous and Unbelievable.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Angry ex -felons taking it out on customers. Horrendous and Unbelievable.

Utter B.S.

The type of insurance that reputable places carry will NOT support an ex-con being on payroll handling customer cars.

Most places kick you to the curb for a DUI - some will give you the boot for a moving violation.

The catch. "Reputable places".

The Coast is full of Pirates and Scoundrels.

I stand by my assessment. I asked to talk to the mechanic working on my car briefly, the service writer said, " No, You can't.. He took this job so he doesn't have to interface with customers."

That configuration reminds me of the Cruze … Threads and flange are too large for a 10mm hex … but I'm careful not to gorilla my six point box end.
By comparison, my V8 plugs are 15mm with less proportional shoulder and o ring that goes flush.

Sucks you have to deal with someone's negligence, but are you sure you need a new oil pan? Is it aluminum or steel?
In many cases they can be re-threaded and a larger plug can be used.

Also, who will be changing the oil pan? If it's some other shop, they may mess things up too.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Right!.. that's some chit the dealer is gonna fix in my book.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

The type of insurance that reputable places carry will NOT support an ex-con being on payroll handling customer cars.

Most places kick you to the curb for a DUI - some will give you the boot for a moving violation.

Wroooonnng!

Read it and weep.

If I had a vehicle I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER take it to a shop that hired ex felons or cons.
Click on title below for link.

Dealership in Virginia hires ex cons as mechanics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back