Supertech filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across these on ebay. What are they and how old?

Screenshot_20190710-192624_eBay.jpg

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Plus $3.88 shipping you can buy that filter at WM for $2.85.

My experience with many eBay buyers is they don't look or factor in shipping cost. Never made sense to me....

Those are the older ones. Some one will correct me but probably 10 years old? There's been two different designs since that one came out.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Those are the older ones. Some one will correct me but probably 10 years old? There's been two different designs since that one came out.

yup, it is the old Champ made Supertech. I want to say they switched to Wix 7-8 years ago, but not positive.

As said though, the current Supertech made by Champ are <$3 every day.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

I have two (ST8A) of those sitting around and they are around 15-20 years old. A good SYNTHETIC fiber media too.

Last edited:
I remember seeing them on sale on Walmart.com once in a while for that price, free store pickup. Last time I got 10 for that price for my mom's Corolla.

Plus, you don't know what you're getting on Ebay sometimes...best to just swing by MW.

Originally Posted by Lubener

I have two (ST8A) of those sitting around and they are around 15-20 years old. A good SYNTHETIC fiber media too.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Originally Posted by Linctex

(maybe).... A leaking synthetic five quart jug of oil from a shelf above, dripped all over Lube's Supertech's oil filters?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Linctex

(maybe).... A leaking synthetic five quart jug of oil from a shelf above, dripped all over Lube's Supertech's oil filters?

No, I am educated and can read the box which states "synthetic fiber enhanced filter media". If you are unable to read the print on his box photo , maybe you can pay someone to do it for you.

Last edited:

No, I am educated and can read the box which states "synthetic fiber enhanced filter media". If you are unable to read the print on his box photo , maybe you can pay someone to do it for you.

It is a cellulose/synthetic blend media, not fully synthetic media.
Are the ones you have e-core filters or do they have metal center tubes?
The e-core would be the "newer" ones, and the early e-cores had issues with the plastic cage being brittle and breaking apart.

Originally Posted by blupupher

It is a cellulose/synthetic blend media, not fully synthetic media.
Are the ones you have e-core filters or do they have metal center tubes?
The e-core would be the "newer" ones, and the early e-cores had issues with the plastic cage being brittle and breaking apart.

Steel center tubes. I call it synthetic since it contains synthetic material. I never called it full synthetic. Anyway, it was a great value for $1.99 at the time. Much better than the junky ecores of today which I would never use.

Last edited:
Steel center tubes. I call it synthetic since it contains synthetic material. I never called it full synthetic. Anyway, it was a great value for $1.99 at the time. Much better than the junky ecores of today which I would never use.

The first gen e-cores had issues, but I have no issues with the current ones. I know some do though.
Those steel core ones were good filters though.

No, I am educated and can read the box which states "synthetic fiber enhanced filter media". If you are unable to read the print on his box photo , maybe you can pay someone to do it for you. Anyway, it was a great value for $1.99 at the time. Much better than the junky ecores of today which I would never use.

The early Ecores that you have a liking to, were garbage. Media would come unglued. Cages had enlarged holes that accepted loose media, allowing dispersion thru the engine. ADBVs would squak right from the get-go. Lastly, even the gasket would develop leaks early-on.

So your education has it backwards. The Ecores of today are only a dollar more than 15 years ago and are 3X better than the early versions..

The only filter I ever opened that had torn media was a Supertech ST3593 from around 2010. It was preceded by many Purolators (including disguised Purolators), a few orange Frams, and a few miscellaneous others that didn't tear.

Last edited:

You guys sure this is eBay and not Rock?...‚

Fwiw, I haven't seen the black can SuperTech's in a looong time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

No, I am educated and can read the box which states "synthetic fiber enhanced filter media". If you are unable to read the print on his box photo , maybe you can pay someone to do it for you. Anyway, it was a great value for $1.99 at the time. Much better than the junky ecores of today which I would never use.

The early Ecores that you have a liking to, were garbage. Media would come unglued. Cages had enlarged holes that accepted loose media, allowing dispersion thru the engine. ADBVs would squak right from the get-go. Lastly, even the gasket would develop leaks early-on.

So your education has it backwards. The Ecores of today are only a dollar more than 15 years ago and are 3X better than the early versions..

Unless you have pics of your filter failures, your experiences are irrelevent. I never had a problem with the old ones. You can stick with your plastic caged filters if you are so hung up on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back