Could I use a 5w30 In vw rabbit 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
5w40 is next to impossible to get in rural Missouri . Could this car run a 5w30 which is much easier to find. Your thoughts on if it could safely and the oci to follow it does mostly highway trips . Thanks everyone.

I'd run the right stuff. If you have a mailbox I know an online book retailer that stocks it.

Don't skimp out OP. Make SURE to get the proper oil for that 2.5 inline 5.
Treat 'er right and she'll run like a top for years to come
thumbsup2.gif

VW - use the right oil, likely a VW502.00 5W40. Plenty of online retailers sell kits delivered to your door.

I'm repeating what others have already said, but if you can not find a VW 502.00 oil (assuming that is spec) in store locally, order it online. Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 are the two that come to mind.

OP- maybe I should be clear, the approval is more important than the weight i.e. a 5W-whatever isn't' the important thing...it's the approval. I am assuming your car needs a VW502.00-approved oil?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Audios
Yes you can. There are plenty of 5/30s which meet 502 spec. https://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blogs/949/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Approved-Oil-List.pdf

Yeah, he will NOT find that in rural MO.

They don't have Valvoline, Pennzoil, QS, Shell, Castrol or Chevron oils available?!
crazy2.gif

What kind of hick town you living in, OP?

They have Valvoline and Castrol 5w40 in my hicktown Napa and at the Walmart. A town of 2k people.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I'm repeating what others have already said, but if you can not find a VW 502.00 oil (assuming that is spec) in store locally, order it online. Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 are the two that come to mind.

Walmart carries at least 3 502 00 spec oils in any store in the country. Castrol 5w-40, Castrol 0w-40, and Mobil 1 0w-40. In the rare occurrence that your local store doesn't have these, just buy online and ship to your store or your house. Same price either way.

If you don't want to shop at Walmart, buy on Amazon because they will usually be the same price to the penny. If not, just wait a couple hours and the price will change
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ram_man
5w40 is next to impossible to get in rural Missouri .

Castrol 0W-40 or Mobil1 0W-40 on the shelf of your local Walmart meets the required VW spec.

Originally Posted by ram_man
My Walmart doesn't have any 0w40 or 5w40 oil

Just order it online and have it delivered to the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back