Chainsaw noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borrowed an electric chainsaw to take care of a recently fallen tree limb. I've used one like it (possibly the same model) before for cutting up a limb. One question I've had, which wasn't really answered in the manual, is whether you can cut using the top side of the bar and pulling up. It mentions kick back, some of the branches would be less awkward to cut if this could be done.

Yep. Did some of that type cutting just last week. You still need to be careful to avoid getting it jammed in the limb, but I didn't experience any extra kickback with my saw (Home lite electric).

I always, always make a "relief cut" from the bottom up about 25%-30% through the branch before finishing the last 70% from the top down. It breaks off from the tree MUCH much more cleanly that way.

Sometimes with fallen branches, the ONLY safe way is to cut bottom up.

"The term "kickback danger zone" refers to the top of the tip of the chainsaw bar. This area has a high kickback risk. You should never saw using this part of the chain saw bar, since doing so will significantly increase the chances that you will experience kickback."

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/chain-saw-kickback

When the top of the tip bites into the wood, it has a tendency to pull the cutting teeth in tighter and that results in kickback.

A modern saw with chain brake, held correctly with the hand fully wrapped around the forward handle, is pretty safe. Most consumer saws have anti-kickback chain, too.

Last edited:
yep - stay away from the tip.

also make sure the chain is tightened correctly. I overlooked this and scared myself pretty good.

the instructions on mine said only use right handed - which seemed odd.

Many thanks! I did see the bit about avoiding the tip to prevent kick back, but I couldn't figure out if you could pull up to cut.

Keep a plastic or wooden wedge handy so you don't tear it up when you get jammed, and you will🤢. If you got ticks over that way like we fo make sure to spray those pant legs , socks and shoes with repellent. I spray min with 100/1/ permetherin same as you'd spray livestock. Spray it well hanging and let dry works for weeks even when washed.
The reason I say this is because every single guy I know who got Lyme and there are many picked up the tick moving brush. That's why I try to do most of it with a tractor, keep sprayed and always LOOK at any itch that persists more thana a bit. Then it's off to the shower ASAP when coming in. I just read those nasty🤬 even survive a hot water washing but 0 minutes in a drier on high nails them all That Lyme disease is rampant around here in Northern NY and we had zero ticks till 2007 or so.
This is a fantastic resource site concerning the filthy little monsters. https://tickencounter.org/

Think about it, you use the top of the blade ti cut underside of the branch. as the cut goes in the weight of the branch pinches on the blade and it kicks back. +1 make the first 30% undercut only then cut down from the top and cut opens up and branch falls more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back