2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS oil suggestion???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran 5w20 Mobil 1 in my 4.6 2005 Ford Crown Vic for 300K miles in Miami Beach jungle heat. At one time my entire family had Panthers and we only used 5w20 M1. We did 5-7K miles OCI or 6 months. Probably could have gone longer but there is 24/7 gridlock in my neck of the woods.

I do and have in 2 cars that call for 0w20 and 5w20. Been over 300k between the 2 vehicles so far so not to worry.

The 4.6 was originally specified for 5w-30...which is what I'd be using.

As far as brand, that will depend on your planned OCI as well as your driving habits.

I'd just get some Castrol, PP, or M1 5w30 and run it for 10k and call it good, the 4.6 is a durable engine, especially in its later iterations

Default standard for Middle East exports was 10W-30. Prior to 1995, it was 20W-40.

You'll be fine with 5W-30.

I would (& do) use Castrol Magnatec, in 5W20 (me) or 5W30 (you)-it really does help with cold start noise, along with an XG2 or other quality silicone ADBV filter. My '03 is looking like three 7500 OCIs to one Ultra is going to be easily doable.

I'd run this down in that Tx heat.

[Linked Image]
smirk.gif

Either 5w-20 or 5w-30 would work fine. My choice would be 5w-30. Run it in my Ranger which is spec's for 5w-20 and no change in mpg or anything.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I would use a high mileage 5w-30 Syn oil.

At 300K miles I was still using plain old 5w20 M1 AFE.

When I had a 99 Mercury Grand Marquis and using 5W30 Motorcraft I always had to add a quart of oil between oil changes. Then Ford back spec'd it to 5w20 Motocrcraft Blend. I used zero oil between oil changes. Soon after changed my oil to 5w20 Mobil 1 AFE. Used zero oil between changes.

I have no idea why so many people here keep pushing HM oil on vehicles that do not need it and will probably never ever need it. I put between 200-300K miles on all my vehicles and never used HM oil.

The 4.6 Panthers were the best vehicles ever made. There will never be such a low maintenance vehicle [that road like dream] ever again.

Of coarse all that just IMHO.

Well I'm definitely glad to hear about the reliability in the 4.6 V8 that's exactly why I chose a panther platform vehicle. It will be a Texas Highway cruiser for me as I do travel often for Dallas-Austin-Houston.

Think I will be going with a 5w-30 Castrol Synthetic oil w/ Wix filter.

Sounds like a perfect rig, they seem to also have excellent air conditioning. You also did well getting an 06+ for the slightly beefier automatic transmission, been looking passively for a nice 06+ myself

Yeah I was looking at the latest year lowest mileage panther platform car I could afford and ended up with a 07 Mercury Grand Marquis with 89k, After owning a 05 Cadillac SRX that turned into a problem after problem money pit I now want a reliable hwy cruiser.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChevyPusha

Well I'm definitely glad to hear about the reliability in the 4.6 V8 that's exactly why I chose a panther platform vehicle. It will be a Texas Highway cruiser for me as I do travel often for Dallas-Austin-Houston.

Think I will be going with a 5w-30 Castrol Synthetic oil w/ Wix filter.

That should work just fine. Good choices all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back