Why the need for "Last edited by" notation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand if a post is edited after a reply is made but most are edited right after posting for spelling errors or creative modifications so why the need for that notation? I've noticed most forums give you 5, 10, 15 minutes to edit without said notation if no subsequent reply was made. Makes for a cleaner looking page and doesn't make the author seem careless.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
You can uncheck the show as edited box if no replies have been made.

You can uncheck that box even if replies have been made.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
You can uncheck the show as edited box if no replies have been made.

You can uncheck that box even if replies have been made.

OK I'll try that. Yea that works, thanks.

my favorite is the cant delete post malfunction..

you cant delete your own post or reply even 5 seconds after you post..

Originally Posted by Rand

Yeah, I think the delete your own post function use to work. Now if you want your post gone, just edit it and put a period in the post, or just say "deleted".

Why would you want to delete a post? If you've got something to say, just say it and be done.

I know why we can't delete, generally speaking, but a five second take back delete option would be fine, when you catch yourself answering something in the wrong thread or doing a duplicate or something. Perhaps the delete time in the board configuration can't be refined to such a low value.

Sure … You can edit for a while … so if one feels regretful … they can moderate the post and 90% probably have not read it during that window of opportunity

Deleted
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Sure … You can edit for a while … so if one feels regretful … they can moderate the post and 90% probably have not read it during that window of opportunity

This is why we need an edit and delete that last more than a few seconds.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by 4WD

This is why we need an edit and delete that last more than a few seconds.

The post edit time limit is 30 minutes - increased months ago...

Putting the notation up lets others know that the comment was edited. We have had instances here of comments posted then edited during the conversation which causes some confusion and angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back