Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40, 2015 RAM EcoDiesel, 5,966mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA from my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel.

Double the wear for double the cost? No thank you!

I buy my oil at deep discounts so cost really isn't a factor for me. I also do these UOA's for fun and realise that they aren't definitive scientific data. But, by looking at the current results from M1 TDT 5w40 VS Mystic JT-8 15w40 the add packs look very similar so possibly the biggest difference is just the viscosity.

20190611_150956.jpg

20190611_151039.jpg

I think we're all slowly getting to the point of proving unequivocally that the best oil for a diesel engine is some really pedestrian blends.

Premium and boutique oil has not been strutting it's stuff in the UOAs posted in this forum.

Keep in mind that the Delvac was run in the winter months, which usually result in greater wear metals, when there are frequent cold starts. My opinion is that the either of these oils would have had similar wear metals had they been run the same time of year. Synthetic HDEOs do have their place in extended drain intervals, but 5000 miles is not an extended drain interval. It is common for commercial trucks to extend drain intervals past 80,000 miles running synthetic HDEOs, which have greater oxidative stability.

In Addition:

This oil was ran over the winter. Plenty of cold starts below freezing with remote start and idiling to defrost and warm the cab.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
In Addition:

This oil was ran over the winter. Plenty of cold starts below freezing with remote start and idiling to defrost and warm the cab.

And there lies your answer. In order to make a fair comparison you'll have to compare both oils under the same conditions.

Sorry but 16,19,25,and 30 ppm are all within experimental error, especially when compared to the variance in operating conditions. Like you said, it's fun to do, but if it creates doubt about Mobil Turbo Diesel or suggests Mustic JT-8 is any better, it is fake news regardless of the price. It was good to see the concentrations and so thank you for paying for the tests and posting them.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Sorry but 16,19,25,and 30 ppm are all within experimental error, especially when compared to the variance in operating conditions. Like you said, it's fun to do, but if it creates doubt about Mobil Turbo Diesel or suggests Mustic JT-8 is any better, it is fake news regardless of the price. It was good to see the concentrations and so thank you for paying for the tests and posting them.
smile.gif

Never mind that one can not gain any information from single-pass UOA's of brand X.

Originally Posted by wwillson
Keep in mind that the Delvac was run in the winter months, which usually result in greater wear metals, when there are frequent cold starts.

Good point. Also, if you look back, this oil had the exact same results when ran Spring through Mid-Summer too.

Is Delvac and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck the same oil just re-labeled?

While these iron numbers are not bad, why does it seem that Mobil 1 oils seem to produce higher iron numbers? I've noticed it over time in different engines and different Mobil 1 formulas.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Is Delvac and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck the same oil just re-labeled?

That used to be the case, but that hasn't been true since at least the CI-4 days. They definitely diverged in CJ-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back