Reusing Engine Oil in OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the fellas at work claims he reuses his engine oil from his car to fill his OPE like a snow blower.

He told me that he follows a simple 3000 mile OCI using dino and simply stores and reuses the oil in his snow blower, lawn mower, etc.

Very resourceful and something I never thought of...surely frugal...but is this borderline cheap/not worthwhile/harmful?

thoughts?

Seems like you're taking dirt from one engine and adding it to another.

Why not run the car to 5000 and just recycle it?
21.gif

Someone here used to do it all the time and referred to it as Mobil 2 (Merkava??).

It's likely harmless but tough to measure or quantify.

Originally Posted by Chris142
How much oil do those things hold? 20oz? Maybe 32oz? Weirdo for sure.

Yea...no kidding

Originally Posted by Chris142
How much oil do those things hold? 20oz? Maybe 32oz? Weirdo for sure.

Sounds about right...my snowblower holds a quart

Originally Posted by John_K
Seems like you're taking dirt from one engine and adding it to another.

Why not run the car to 5000 and just recycle it?
21.gif

+1 And then recycle the oil.

We truly live in wondrous times car and oil wise. I'm still getting used to using 0w20 and letting it go 8K+ miles. 50 + yrs ago as a pump jockey when I routinely checked oil, I often sold qts. Cars were expected to consume oil. and grease
grin2.gif

My dad had a mid 80's stellar believe it was a 2 liter engine, it burned an excessive amount of oil, the last two years he drove it never changed the oil or filter just dumped used oil from his truck in it.
It ran like crap before he did this and ran like crap after so is he a wierdo or cheap or just a tad bit smarter than the rest of us ??

I think of OPE as more high strung than passenger cars and run better gas and oil in them. I wouldn't put "mere" conventional 5w30 in them for example. I also rotate my 6 month old OPE gas through a car to empty the cans to make room for fresh. (I want an "in-season" vapor pressure in OPE but don't care about my injected cars.)

If my snowblower breaks down it's a bigger and more immediate crisis than my car.

I had a buddy who put the used Valvoline Racing oil from his SCCA car in his garden tractor. Over the 10 yrs or so I knew him, it seemed to work fine.

Originally Posted by ToyotaCorolla04
One of the fellas at work claims he reuses his engine oil from his car to fill his OPE like a snow blower. He told me that he follows a simple 3000 mile OCI using dino and simply stores and reuses the oil in his snow blower, lawn mower, etc.
Very resourceful and something I never thought of...surely frugal...but is this borderline cheap/not worthwhile/harmful? thoughts?
Sorry, but the entire idea of an oil change is to put in fresh oil.

In my teen years, I had an old junky Nova with inline 6 engine. Burned, leaked, oil like a sieve. I worked at an indy shop and all the used motor oil would get stored in a barrel. Whenever I needed oil, which was often, I'd grab a couple quarts out of the barrel and dump them in. Engine always ran fine. All sorts of different oil weights all blended into one. All sorts of different OCI's, though it was mostly 3K OCI back then. Engine still ran the same when I wrecked it.

That said, Im not using used oil in my OPE, heck Im pretty sure my least expensive OPE still was more than I paid for that Nova...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCorolla04
One of the fellas at work claims he reuses his engine oil from his car to fill his OPE like a snow blower.

He told me that he follows a simple 3000 mile OCI using dino and simply stores and reuses the oil in his snow blower, lawn mower, etc.

Very resourceful and something I never thought of...surely frugal...but is this borderline cheap/not worthwhile/harmful?

thoughts?

Resourceful? I doubt it and to save a quart is meaningless to me. He for one is changing oil too often, could go for atleast 5k and likely is introducing dirt into the mower engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back