19 Tacoma 2.7 M1 0w40 10k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Wrong!
The last sentence in that Bulletin states the warranty will not be covered. They are recommending we do not void their warranty.

It says if engine damage occurs because of the oil then it will not be covered under warranty. Obviously engine damage is not occurring per the posted UOA (and would not due to an oil such as Mobil 1 0W-40). And, this is a Toyota under consideration not a Hyundai.

if you have a plausible and technical scenario where using Mobil 1 0W-40 will result in damage his engine then let's hear it. That's one of the best oils on the planet.

Originally Posted by dblshock
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
2019 Tacoma 2.7l I4. Lifted and on 32in LT Tires. This is mostly highway usage with sustained RPMs in 3500 range for hours on end. The factory fill was dumped with about 100 miles on the unit and replaced with m1 0w40fs and run until 10k. This is M1 0w40fs after its second 10k run. Oil filters are Super Tech with no top off added.

TBN looks good. Hoping some of the numbers are high due to break in. TBN looks money and it looks like the m1 held up great. You guys think i have a winner here?

Thank you for the report.

I will offer a counterpoint FWIW.

I have driven two different 2TR FE's for a grand total of 870k miles.
Local deliveries of small parcels, light pallets and such has been on the front burner for me. Like you, I put a lot of freeway miles on my Taco.

TBN does not concern me as much as you, with all the freeway miles. TBN is not linear. My personal preference is a carefully selected lower viscosity oil.

Watch for the proverbial piston ring coking and valve stem seal wear as you approach 200k miles, with the accompanying oil consumption.

Enjoy your sled, Sir !

He'll likely avoid those issues using 0W40.

Yepp, agree, i can bet my 2 cents on that.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Originally Posted by kschachn
Which again states that the viscosity is recommended. If 0W-40 damages the engine then it's a problem, yes. But it will not.

Therefore whether or not it is recommended it will not void the warranty.

Bottom line, it's foolish to put your warranty at risk because you think you know more than the engineers who designed the vehicle.

That's how I feel. I'm one of those people who follow the manufacturers recommendations "to the letter" while the vehicle is under warranty. Why take the risk of giving the service department (and/or the manufacturer) an easy way to refuse service if / when you ever have a problem by using a product other than what is specifically called for?

I see forums just littered with people bitterly complaining that the dealer won't work on their vehicle after they've altered / changed the vehicle, used different fluids than what were explicitly called for in the owner's manual, etc., etc.

Ed

Originally Posted by dblshock
right, I'll run 5/30 in the bitter cold otherwise give me the heavy luxury grades in warm weather, like a man.

Talk about uninformed statements...

Here's directly from Toyota manual. Pay specific attention to the last sentence.

Engine oil selection
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example):

• The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold
startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting
of the engine in cold weather.

• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the
oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Yup....all CAFE until the red lettering, which is the part the engineers wrote and insisted upon!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Hence 0w40

cheers3.gif

Good stuff. I ran M1 0w40 once in my Prius - engine ran like a top... just effected my MPG more than I'd like (more due to the way the Prius engine works, probably negligible difference in your application). Congrats on the truck btw... love a good Tacoma.

I think you have a winner with the 0w-40! I would continue to use it. You have evidence to back up its performance.

Similar results could have been obtained
by using Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W20,
and then splashing on some Old Spice
after finishing up your oil change.

19.gif

Doublehaul, you're fine using the 0w40 in your situation. It won't cause any issue. The M1 0w40 in particular uses some POE so it's high temperature and engine cleanliness capability is very good. I would probably use a 5w30 or even a 10w30 but you can use the 0w40.

Nice truck. I didn't know you can get the TRD 4x4 with the 2.7L engine. I tried building that and only the V6 came up.

I have 2...Tacos. A 2019 TRD Off Road with the 3.5 (work vehicle) and a 2019 TRD Off Road Clone with the 2.7. I don't like the 3.5...and as I couldn't get a TRD Off Road with the 2.7 i basically made my own. I ordered it with the factory fender flares, blackout package (wheels, mirrors, tail lights, headlights etc.) Gave it a small lift, and put 32in BFG AT. It has a TRD Pro Grille, 34 inch light bar in the lower grille, a mile tune and a few other minor mods. I really really like it. Its phenomenal off road and pretty good on gas as well. I tow my boat with it...my atv fits in the bed and the bed is large enough for all my needs. Its a 6ft bed access cab truck.

You like the 2TR over the 2GR? I always heard the 2TR was a dog. I drove a 2GR when it first came out and found that it had little torque, but always figured the 4 would be unbearable.

Hey Dorian,

I do like the 2tr better. In reality both engines are dogs if your used to most v6 or v8 vehicles. I myself came from daily driving a Ford with a 6.2l v8 with over 400hp. To be fair though I had a 2.7 as a recreation vehicle for years prior and only sold it when i got the new one. The 4 is really a great engine around town and off road. It revs a little higher up grades and under WOT but that's the price you pay for a DOHC 4. At higher RPMs it makes almost 200hp...more than V6s did a few short years ago.

I read somewhere that the 2tr-fe tacoma had the worst power to wieght ratio in the lineup. I don't doubt it but that's not why i bough an extremely off road capable small truck. It goes 95mph if needed and is fun to drive in the dirt.

Both engines do the tranny dance on the E way. You set the cruise around say 75mph. The engine immediately shifts into 6th, then immediately shifts into 5th. Should there be any wind or any grade...and i do mean any they shift immediately into 4th where they stay. The 4 running about 3500 RPM and the v6 running about 3200 rpm. I think the difference is honestly the gearing as the 4 is geared more aggressively iirc. I drive my 4cy on the freeway a lot and it doesn't bother me in the least...and I'm running very heavy LT rated BFG AT tires that are 32.5 inches tall.

My reasons for not liking the 2GR are pretty simple. Its a dog...but a complex dog. It makes weird noises as it goes into its complex atkinson cycle, its tougher to work on and perhaps most importantly they have been plagued with problems and complaints from their owners. Myself included. I fully believe the 2.7 to be the most durable and reliable gasoline engine in current production.

While i feel the 2.7 is more reliable...i wish they put the 4.0 in the Taco. I have that engine in my 4runner and its very powerful. Its also quite robust...though not as much as the cast iron 2.7.

Last edited:
My Venza has the 2.7 in it and is a pleasure to drive. Highway miles I can routinely get 27 mpg without really trying. I'm using 5w-30 Magnatec in it but could get away with 0w-40 in Texas. I use the Magnatec in my F150 so I stick with one flavor and weight of oil. Stock one oil and two oil filters. Changing oil on both is very easy.

The Venza actually has a completely different engine. Yours is the 1AR which is closely related to the 2AR that we have in our Camrys. They are very good engines.

Very interesting. I wish they would update both the 2TR and 1GR using D4-S. A lot of the new Toyota engines just are too peaky. I wish they used variable valve lift to help improve bottom end a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back