Is there anything wrong with these shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 grand daughters and they all have at least one pair of Chuck Taylors. The same shoes I wore over fifty years ago, though in different colors. Funny how their "cool" again.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I have 6 grand daughters and they all have at least one pair of Chuck Taylors. The same shoes I wore over fifty years ago, though in different colors. Funny how their "cool" again.

They've been "cool" for 50 years.
They've also been uncomfortable for 50 plus years.. lol
I guarantee they wouldnt be caught in the Airwalk, Keds, or PF flyer equivalent though because those "arent cool"

"Cool" these days is the mainstream "accepted brand"

First off, these folks should have taken their kids along on their vacation.
We always did, although we also did cruises during the winter, when the weather here sucked.
Second, these parents should have raised their kids well enough to know that they should show gratitude when someone buys something for them.
A response of "i'm not wearing those" is rude and never appropriate.
Rude kids are the products of socially inept and clueless parents, which seems to be the new normal in the upper middle class West.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
First off, these folks should have taken their kids along on their vacation.
We always did, although we also did cruises during the winter, when the weather here sucked.
Second, these parents should have raised their kids well enough to know that they should show gratitude when someone buys something for them.
A response of "i'm not wearing those" is rude and never appropriate.
Rude kids are the products of socially inept and clueless parents, which seems to be the new normal in the upper middle class West.

You forgot "Get off my lawn!"
cheers3.gif

Dear OP,
Make her wear the flip flops. Take the shoes back and keep your hard earned money. She can pay for her own whatever shoes kids wear these days.

You are attempting to apply sound logic to this.
Teenagers, regardless of gender, and with exceptions- do not use it readily.
It was a well thought out and kind idea on your part.
Chalk it up to another observation of youth through the eyes of an adult.

People are so strange about color. I got a great deal on a new mountain bike last summer because it was powder blue.

The dealer said he make a mistake about ordering a large frame mountain bike in powder blue because males hate that color so it sat there for several months.

The bike was actually in the back in storage because he didn't want to tie-up his showroom with stuff that doesn't sale quickly. He said he tried over and over to sell it at a huge discount but no takers when he showed folks the bike.

The shifting, reliability, suspension, brakes and handling don't care about color I would think.

Originally Posted by csandste
Want us to start female dog-ing about kids these days? I buy $15-20 shoes from Costco and Walmart. Had somebody shilling for a charity at a club I go to who said they were able to buy $120 shoes for $50 and that anything else would hurt the kids' self esteem.

You won the "Daily Double"!!!!

So spot on. The molly coddling must stop at some point or it will be the death of Western Civilization, sadly the rot has already been well under way.

I learned not to buy girls clothing REAL QUICK into my marriage. If I ever have a daughter, I'll apply that to her as well with some conditions of course (i.e. no mini skirts etc).

Just give her cash, take her to the store and say "we're going hiking. You need proper shoes. Go pick some out." She'll probably pick something similar, but since she picked it out herself they're okay.

What's wrong is calling those shoes hiking shoes. Low-cut "hiking" shoes are useless for any other than a well-maintained, smooth trail. Have you ever got a foxtail or a bur buried in your ankle while on an overgrown trail? But maybe those shoes were meant for a maintaned "trail."

Teens are supposed to learn to be self-reliant and to learn how to do things on their own. Shopping for shoes is not easy and you really can't do it unless you bring your feet along. Buying by size alone has never worked for me. Starting at age 12, I had to buy my own clothes. I did make some bad choices and I learned from them. LIke that time I absolutely wanted a pair of white jeans. I quickly found out that white pants look clean for about 5 minutes when you are a 13-year-old having an ice-cream cone while riding your bike in circles around giggling girls. I was stuck with those pants all summer until school started. I'm 42 now and I never again bought another pair of white pants. Sometimes, my son has asked me for something that I didn't want to buy simply because he wanted it, but I usually offered him an alternative. For example, when he wanted a new bicycle, and not a cheap one, I told him it would be an early birthday present. and I mentioned the backyard had started to look like a jungle. I received a neatly trimmed hedge, the lawn mowed, the weeds pulled, and the leaves raked, and I didn't have to try to figure out what he wanted for his birthday.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Take her Bowling instead...they should fit in with what everyone else is wearing.
They do look like bowling shoes with the lacing going almost all the way to the toes.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Take her Bowling instead...they should fit in with what everyone else is wearing.

lol.gif

Now that you mentioned it, I totally agree.

I revisited the photo. Simply put, they look adult male. Especially with the black toe and outsole.

Considering the forward lacing - could that be a benefit for those with wide feet?

Last edited:
They're free shoes (for her) that'll be used for hiking.

I'm not seeing a reason to complain or criticize.

Is this whole thing a moot point by now ? Even if 100% of respondents said they like them, they'd wear them, and so on, doesn't mean squat to a teenager....

Children are strange, and I was picky at that age and still am. It's not like I buy anything fancy or special, but you don't want to go shoe shopping with me. If a pair of shoes or boots aren't just "so" it's not going to happen. Of course, if you look at whatever I buy, you'll be perplexed as to why it took me hours and multiple stores to find them.

I guess there's a reason my wing tip dress shoes are 30 years old and have been resoled and never replaced (I tried to replace them once and failed). It's easier than trying to buy another pair.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My16 year old niece and 14 year old nephew is staying with us while my brother and sister-in-law are on a cruise.
We are going hiking. Nothing where we expect to get our feet wet. My niece only brought flip flops with her.
So I was at the Sierra Trading Post store alone yesterday, text my niece asking her shoe size and found these
on the clearance rack for $29. Made in Europe and they have Vibram soles. She took one look at them and said, I'm not wearing those.
Do they look that bad?

Nah, but man? Kids are weird. I don't even have or want kids, and I know this. Because I was one, once. Stuff that makes sense to them, doesn't make sense to you, and visa verse. Life experience is greatly differing.

Pro-tip: Buy shoes with the kid/ask them what shoes they want, and just do that. It's pretty simple. Include them and get mature input from them on it, and they will grow up better and you will have a healthier, less stressed experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back