2018 VW Golf Sportwagen tuned 1.8 TSI K&N 7K OCI LM 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I think it's looking on the up and up. Note filtration comment. I like 7.5K just for convenience of matching OCI with tire rotations, I'm sure it would be fine to 10K.

18 GOLF SW-190703_UOA_15K.jpg

Last edited:
Was hoping for some commentary from the experts...anyone?

I'm in no way an expert, but I'll chip in.

The engine is still young and have not flushed all the excess metals and contaminates, so metals are still high. TBN is still very high, so this oil would last a long time in your engine.

10k without any problems for sure!

K&N oil or air filter?

Originally Posted by jbutch

The engine is still young and have not flushed all the excess metals and contaminates, so metals are still high. TBN is still very high, so this oil would last a long time in your engine.

K&N oil or air filter?

K&N air filter. Yeah, I figure 7.5-ish is where I would start. My main concerns are just that I'm modified with the tune so more boost etc. and was worried about fuel dilution etc. but I may go longer next time.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

K&N oil or air filter?

K&N air filter. Yeah, I figure 7.5-ish is where I would start. My main concerns are just that I'm modified with the tune so more boost etc. and was worried about fuel dilution etc. but I may go longer next time.

You don't want to go any longer than you did . That car is a carbon making machine . I'm not slamming it , I have 2 VW's .

Originally Posted by Kjmack

K&N oil or air filter?

You don't want to go any longer than you did . That car is a carbon making machine . I'm not slamming it , I have 2 VW's .

What specifically about pushing the oil longer will lead to higher-than-normal carbon build up?

These cars make alit of carbon while operating , I myself would never go over 5k even with 100% highway miles . The oil isn't dark due to heat in these engines it's loaded up with spot . Carbon is horrible for timing chains . Oil filters are not very effective at grabbing it , they are too small .

These cars make alit of carbon while operating , I myself would never go over 5k even with 100% highway miles . The oil isn't dark due to heat in these engines it's loaded up with spot . Carbon is horrible for timing chains . Oil filters are not very effective at grabbing it , they are too small .

Somewhat confused. If carbon was an important analyze why isn't it tested for? Sub-5K changes?

Somewhat confused. If carbon was an important analyze why isn't it tested for? Sub-5K changes?

You cannot test for carbon using ICP, even if you could the oil itself is a hydrocarbon. ICP breaks everything down into the elements so there would be no way to distinguish one carbon atom from another.

I suppose he's just stating that you get a lot more carbon/soot in the oil with DI engines which is a common knowledge - sure. This is why you get the carbon build-up on the intake valves through the re-introduction of oily fumes from the PCV system. Getting a walnut blast type carbon cleaning is going to happen if you drive one of these long enough regardless if you change your oil at 3, 4, 5, or 10K.

I suppose he's just stating that you get a lot more carbon/soot in the oil with DI engines which is a common knowledge - sure. This is why you get the carbon build-up on the intake valves through the re-introduction of oily fumes from the PCV system. Getting a walnut blast type carbon cleaning is going to happen if you drive one of these long enough regardless if you change your oil at 3, 4, 5, or 10K.

I did mention timing chains also

^^^^^^^

Exactly... Timing chain wear will obviously kill a vehicle. I know this from my experience with my Nissan Sentra... Bought at 118k miles... Motor stopped at 242k miles in the Wendy's drive thru. Timing chain...

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^^^

Exactly... Timing chain wear will obviously kill a vehicle. I know this from my experience with my Nissan Sentra... Bought at 118k miles... Motor stopped at 242k miles in the Wendy's drive thru. Timing chain...

I'd say 242K on a timing chain had zero to do with the oil and just is normal wear item at that mileage.

Ok you had a strong TBN that's great but that does not tell the whole story . The oil still has it's lubrication properties , it doesn't tell you that it's loaded up with spot . And believe me it is , it's just part of the VW gdi setup . If your going to keep the car for 5 years and then get rid of it then go ahead and do 7.5k . If you plan on keeping it longer do 5k . Any VW mechanic I have ever heard of talk about this says the same . Do as you wish . That's a nice car you have .

People keep using DI soot as a reason to change oil early on petrol engines, but diesels throw loads more soot into the oil and diesel engines are considered far easier on oil and more suitable to extended drains.

OP, now your wear metals are starting to drop, consider gently extending your intervals. Make the next OCI 7k, then 9k, then 10k etc etc. I think 10k should be absolutely fine for you.

I'm not a LM fan, it amazes me how this oil, despite the brands name contains no Molybdenum at all? The overall add pack doesn't look amazing either. However, it seems to be doing you well. Wear numbers are reasonable and the TBN shows there is plenty to go.

I'd be interested to see you change to M1 0w40 or Castrol Edge 0w40, they tend to have a stronger add pack and will probably allow you to stretch your OCI out even further.

It's the timing chain wear do to the carbon . And that's all I have to say about that .

How come there's not tons of diesels sat at the side of the roads with timing chain failure? It's absolute nonsense.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
It's the timing chain wear do to the carbon . And that's all I have to say about that .

How come there's not tons of diesels sat at the side of the roads with timing chain failure? It's absolute nonsense.

To each their own , I will never go longer than 5k in mine , that's just me . I have heard several VW mechanics say they can they see a big difference in a 5k and a 10k oci vehicle .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back