0/20 oil change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.

I see that this oil is supposed to be changed at 10K intervals on newer Toyotas. Do you guys wait for that mileage or change sooner?

When I first joined BITOG back in '05, I had a hard time convincing my mind on changing the oil/filter beyond 3000 miles. Then past 5k-6k miles.

Now, I am having another hard time convincing my mind on going to the 10,000 mark. As far as I've gone is 8000-8500 miles even on 0W20 of a good brand name.

So, I'm thinking that you will get some mixed responses.

Why do people feel that the manufacturer of the vehicle doesn't know what an appropriate OCI is for the given oil they spec?

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Why do people feel that the manufacturer of the vehicle doesn't know what an appropriate OCI is for the given oil they spec?

Could be interpretation of what the manufacturer publishes.
Most folks look at normal service intervals, while most might be better served by going with severe service interval.

Manufacturer's want to advertise low cost of ownership and long OCIs help in that regard.
I'm not saying that vehicles can't last a long time using manufacturer recommended OCIs but that isn't always the goal of the maker.

Because manufacturers are looking at better CAFE ratings for their fleet, then getting a vehicle past the warranty period, then primarily to 100,000 miles for reliability ratings, then they don't care.

Many here want to keep their vehicles past 200,000 miles (or are buying these 100,000+ mile vehicles).

Originally Posted by 007
I see that this oil is supposed to be changed at 10K intervals on newer Toyotas. Do you guys wait for that mileage or change sooner?

It all depends on what kind of vehicle it is. Is it a GDI or tGDI engine? It also depends on your driving routine. Mostly short trips in the city or longer highway commutes? If this is a truck or suv then are you towing or hauling heavy loads? Climate will play a small part as well. In your case Florida is ideal but you may be driving in other regions where sub zero temps in winter come into play.

Originally Posted by 007

I just bought a new Tacoma with the 3.5L. V-6. My manual also says 10K, but I'm planning on changing my oil at 5K. That's just my comfort zone and for all of my vehicles, I've always changed at 5K and they've ran beautifully and used no oil. I'm also planning on using the TGMO 0W-20 because *I* think it's a great oil and I don't care that it's more expensive.

Ed

Bought my 2017 Tundra new,went 10,000 miles and changed the factory fill,been changing it every 10k since.Toyota says go 10k so i do ,its got warranty. Been using Schaeffers 0-20

Originally Posted by Danno

Most folks look at normal service intervals, while most might be better served by going with severe service interval.

Bingo +10

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by Danno

Bingo +10

Sometimes a manufacturer just blanket specs the suggested oci for multiple makes. Mazda has done that. I have a little naturally aspirated 1.5 Mazda that Mazda suggest I use 0w20 full synthetic for 7500 oci. It's the same oil and oci suggested for the skyactive turbos. As far as I know it's the same for all Mazda vehicles that year. Maybe not the Miata or RX-8.
I have always used xw30 to xw40. About half the time synthetic and half the time conventional. At 145k now. Seems fine so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 007
I guess that depends upon the vehicle and engine. I have a 2010 Prius that has been running 10k OCIs for a few years now. That's a hybrid, and it is far less demanding on the oil. I've also run three Hondas out to 10k on 0w-20 M1 EP. Personally I think you are beyond safe here, given that the Japanese are running these same cars on 0w-16.

0w-20 PPPP 10k OCI 2014 Durango 3.6L. 73K miles currently. PFI, cartridge filter.

I do not go to 10K OCI on my GTDI engines. 5K is what I have been doing, mainly because of dilution.

Originally Posted by painfx
Just my opinion. GDI engines, would be ideal to change oil at 5k.
Add TGDI to that and fully agree; too much dilution for extended OCIs.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
Do you guys ever notice the longer you go, the harder it tends to be to take the oil filter off?

It's easier when cold. The day before the oil change, back off the filter 1/16 of a turn when cold. The next day when hot for the oil change it makes all the difference.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by painfx
Just my opinion. GDI engines, would be ideal to change oil at 5k.
Add TGDI to that and fully agree; too much dilution for extended OCIs.

Have any of the oil/car mfgs done long term testing (100/200k+) on these smaller, hotter running (t)gdi engines? I'm sure the vehicle mfgs have done them in house but I don't suspect that data is made available to the public, right??... unless I suppose a class action suit pulls it out from behind the corporate curtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back