Fram Ultra Cartride Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on the application. Most do, some don't. The filter for the Mazda/Ford 2.3 engine has the wire backing, see my thread with pics here

Originally Posted by Patman
The Fram Ultra for my wife's BMW doesn't have the wire mesh backing.

Any backing material at all or just the media with an open center with support on the engine side?

Is it really a Fram or is it a "Fram" made by Mann, Mahle, Bosch, or Hengst?

The Fram Ultra for my Pentastar 3.6 has no wire backing. It does have a plastic backing that looks like a course screen.

Older style for N52 was made by Fram in the USA (red media). There were a few of this style posted on this site where the caps separated from the media.

Newer style for BMW N52 is made in South Korea by firm contracted by Fram with media supplied by Fram (white media).

Originally Posted by blupupher

Any backing material at all or just the media with an open center with support on the engine side?

The filter on my chrysler 3.6 pentastar did not have any mesh backing on it. I don't think so anyway, will make a mental note to inspect next OCI and post here.

Some do, some don't. It depends on the application.

Some with use the same pink media and wire backing as the spin-on cans. These are also US-made just like the spin-ons
smile.gif

Other cartridges have a plastic mesh and white media. They look like the Purolator Boss and are made in Korea. It is possible that Fram outsources these to Mann Korea (which supplies OE Hyundai/Kia filters)

Wix XP/Napa Platinum cartridges *do* seem to use the same wire mesh for all applications. The media is white, and most of them are made in Poland, with a few US-made XP/Platinums out there

Originally Posted by blupupher

I'm not sure, but it looked very much like this one:

FXG10246_Bottom.jpg

That's a made for fram filter. Made by one of the already mentioned manufacturers above.
It should have a light plastic mesh like backing that's not so obvious because it is a clear or white material that blends it's sight in with the white media

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
The filter on my chrysler 3.6 pentastar did not have any mesh backing on it. I don't think so anyway, will make a mental note to inspect next OCI and post here.

I take that back it did have mesh backing. Could stand to be a bit sturdier though. Filter buckled a little bit

As others said it depends on the specific application/model. My Cadillac 3.6 takes the XG8765 which has plastic core and ends. Most other brands have metal backing for this application, except for low end models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back