Puffs of Blue Smoke - 2k mi into HM Oil Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you mention the smoking started with MaxLife, as that was my exact experience with the Mustang in my signature as well. It burned oil but did not smoke when I purchased it, or through my first 5k OCI with Rotella (which did not help with the consumption, either). I then switched to MaxLife partly to see if it would help with a small leak from the rear main seal, and within a few hundred miles the consumption got worse and I was getting smoke at startup and when taking off from idle, but no other times.

I ended up replacing the valve seals shortly after. They were hard, brittle, and no longer doing their job. I don't know what it was about the MaxLife that finally caused the problem to become apparent, but something did. End result of replacing the seals was no more smoke and so far it hasn't burned a drop running Supertech HM Synthetic 5w-20, and the rear main seal has stopped leaking.

If you're getting blue smoke at startup, I'd suspect valve seals as well.

That's why I no longer use HM oils either. Seats and seals get messed-with.
When I read posts about folks using HMs in their almost new or new vehicles, I just cringe. When manufacturers say it's OK to use HMs in newer vehicles, I laugh and cringe. For most-all of these reviewers haven't witnessed negative after-effects.
Want to roll the dice on that 30K vehicle?....... go right ahead. Just don't mind me when I laugh and cringe.

To be fair, I clearly had a problem before running any HM oil. The car was 16 years old and burning around 1 qt per 1,000 miles of 5w-40, in an engine specced for 5w-20. There's no way running MaxLife for 500 miles or so caused the valve seals to get to the condition they were in when I replaced them. The fact that oil consumption went to zero, even back on 5w-20, confirms that the problem was already there. And I no longer get drips on the floor where I park.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
When I read posts about folks using HMs in their almost new or new vehicles, I just cringe. When manufacturers say it's OK to use HMs in newer vehicles, I laugh and cringe. For most-all of these reviewers haven't witnessed negative after-effects.
Want to roll the dice on that 30K vehicle?....... go right ahead. Just don't mind me when I laugh and cringe.

I bet member Bourne would highly disagree with that baseless comment. I remember his posts about using this oil without ANY ISSUES at all.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I bet member Bourne would highly disagree with that baseless comment. I remember his posts about using this oil without ANY ISSUES at all.

I've used HM oil off and on in my Corolla for several years now. Why because lots of times you pick up a good sale on HM. Like the last Pennzoil HM I bought for $14 and change a jug. Yes and it was full synthetic PUP. Never been an issue.

Johnny,

Have you ever used a 5w20 in the Corolla? I ask because I have some PUP 5w20 that I'd like to use in the Matrix next oil change. Which is coming up very soon.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Johnny,

Have you ever used a 5w20 in the Corolla? I ask because I have some PUP 5w20 that I'd like to use in the Matrix next oil change. Which is coming up very soon.

Not yet but I'm going to be using it for my winter OCI in the October/November time frame this year. The Corolla has never been on a w-20 oil I'm sure it will do fine.
Just got back yesterday an a trip to Pendleton, OR and the ole car got 38.42 MPG.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Johnny,

I did, VWB 5W-20 SM for a 6k mile OCI; also ran mixes of 5W-20 with XW-30 and 10W-40. I've got only 2 qts left of the stuff. It didn't blow up ... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back