Mobil 1 base oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First time poster from Australia here. I've read a lot on BITOG and the general consensus (correct me if I am wrong) is that Mobil 1 uses group III oils as it's base stock? However, I've been reading the Mobil (Australia) site, where it mentions this (quote) -

"Mobil 1 is made using the highest grade base stocks - Group IV/V PAO/Esters - combined with proprietary additive packages that deliver far greater protection than competitive full synthetic motor oils. Put simply, Mobil 1 keeps your engine running like new even under the most extreme conditions."

So now, I'm a little confused, is it made with group III or IV/V?

Here's the link to the page in question - https://www.m1oils.com.au/why-mobil-1/unsurpassed-protection/

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
tri-synthetic formula formula, sounds like 3,4,5?

m1 aint talking so all you will get it guesses. Some of their formulas mention the pao content in the stat sheets such as sds. It varies from formula to formula I'm sure.

Originally Posted by burla
tri-synthetic formula formula, sounds like 3,4,5?

m1 aint talking so all you will get it guesses. Some of their formulas mention the pao content in the stat sheets such as sds. It varies from formula to formula I'm sure.

Well that's the interesting thing. This info is on the official mobil website for Australia and it doesn't make any reference to individual oils, it just states as above that
""Mobil 1 is made using the highest grade base stocks - Group IV/V PAO/Esters"

So to me, that suggests that all M1 is formulated with IV/V base? So [censored] confusing..!

Back in early March this list was posted by another forum member (Gokhan).

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 TP 0W-20: 2/3 PAO and 1/3 Group III
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 TP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO

back when m1 tri syn was how it was branded in the States, the third was Alkylated Napthenes, also Gr5

Hey mate, where are you from ?

edit...but this isn't the old tri-syn days...and "using" doesn't imply exclusivity

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Has M1 done away with Visom all together?

I asked that in the last M1 post, and Gokhan told me that Visom is a completely different manufacturer and that the GTL in some of the formulations is by either Shell or

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5148315

Sasol.

No, Visom is Group III+ base oil made in UK by Exxon Mobil. Exxon Mobil does not make GTL base oil. Shell and Sasol are the only companies that make GTL base oil as far as I know.

Thread was from last week.

M1 AFE 0W-20 does not contain Gtl. 80% PAO,7-8% AN, the rest is additives.

M1 5W-20: 84% Gtl or Gr III, 7-8% AN, the rest is additives

Last edited:
The latest update for AFE 0w20 per MSDS shows majority GTL now.

From what one can tell via a MSDS, the Mobil 1 brand of oils contain PAO, AN, POE, III+ and GTL in varying amounts depending on grade.

Originally Posted by Loma

+ esters.

I have MSDS 2015 (more recent did not see). There in the composition of the PAO 30-40%, CAS 64742-54-7: 30-40%, Cas 64742-65-0: 1-5%.
As a result of CAS 64742-54-7 and CAS 64742-65-0: 1-5% were not found.
Examination in 2016.
?

There is one from 2019. You have to make sure the country is USA.

Originally Posted by tig1

+ esters.

on the IR spectrum they are not.

Originally Posted by tig1
All M1 oils contain some esters.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

Wait, what?! The page you linked to doesn't say that. It says:

Ester oil is synthetic base oil that has been chemically synthesized. Typically ester oils are used in passenger car air-conditioning compressors, refrigerators and other industrial applications. Esters are one of the classes of synthetics that have been used in Mobil 1â„¢ oils as well. Esters are stable molecules, provide good solvency, and provide very good low-temperature and high-temperature performance in engine oils.

Originally Posted by buster

yes of course usa.
the fact is that the MSDS and should not contain complete information about the composition. very approximately

You want ester in your sump? By a can of this and dump in a cup or two.

When is the last time you changed the oil in the compressor in that 60 year old Coldspot beer fridge in the garage?

POE Baby.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by buster

yes of course usa.
the fact is that the MSDS and should not contain complete information about the composition. very approximately

I don't know what to tell you. There is a May 2019 MSDS of AFE. No one said it's an exact composition.

The only M1 oils that appear to use some GTL are AFE/regular M1 (some). The rest are PAO/AN/visom III+. Again, this is just based off of MSDS's which are not formulations.

As always seems to come up with MSDS, it needs to be reiterated that they exist to convey hazard information to first responders, handlers, shippers and producers, not complete lists of product formulations. I used to write MSDS for a living and I can categorically state that no company will divulge trade secrets in their MSDS. In fact, if you can still make the MSDS truthful for the intended user but deceive your competition then all the better. Also as user Gokhan has correctly pointed out, non-hazardous components such as alkylated naphthalenes will not even appear on an MSDS.

People on here who try and read the tea leaves of an MSDS to discern composition down to the single digit percentages do not know what they are doing.

Agree, but if a MSDS states "Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(S) required for discolsure" and within that are lists of base oils, it's safe to assume they are found within the viscosity grade of that given MSDS. Percentages are usually in ranges and they are far from complete but it does give you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back