Is there anything wrong with these shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My16 year old niece and 14 year old nephew is staying with us while my brother and sister-in-law are on a cruise.
We are going hiking. Nothing where we expect to get our feet wet. My niece only brought flip flops with her.
So I was at the Sierra Trading Post store alone yesterday, text my niece asking her shoe size and found these
on the clearance rack for $29. Made in Europe and they have Vibram soles. She took one look at them and said, I'm not wearing those.
Do they look that bad?

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

Want us to start female dog-ing about kids these days? I buy $15-20 shoes from Costco and Walmart. Had somebody shilling for a charity at a club I go to who said they were able to buy $120 shoes for $50 and that anything else would hurt the kids' self esteem.

Last edited:
The possible things I see wrong with them are that they appear to be leather/suede (she vegan?) and they appear to have lime shoe laces...

I'd wear them, recognizing that I am neither a vegan or a 16 year old girl...

Let her hike in flip flops and see how committed she is...

Originally Posted by skyactiv
They're ugly. Doesn't matter what you or "we" think either. If your niece doesn't like them, she won't wear them.

How soon is the cruise over? Do the kids want to go hiking or you feel it's something to do with them that they'll enjoy?

Kids are all about what's "in" and hip.
I was stupid once too, buying 100$+ shoes that fell apart within weeks.

Now I wear whatever the cheapest cross trainer is. Sometimes academy will have Nike Air Monarchs on sale for 30$. The last pair lasted awhile but werent on sale when I needed a new pair. These Everlast shoes from sears are almost identical and were 15$.

The only shoes I ever splurge on are running shoes and red wing boots. Other than that, I am good to go.

Back to the OP, they might be ugly to her, idk. They look nice to me. I never had the pleasure of having expensive shoes as a kid, so once I got a job and turned 18, I went out and got some. Continued on that path until I was 24. Now I'm 27 and wear old man shoes to fit in at the VA, lol.

Crazy how social media is warping the minds of our youth on what to buy or wear. I see kids all the time wearing a 40$ tshirt! FORTY DOLLARS FOR A TSHIRT! yeesh. I'd explain to her theres kids in this world wearing hand me down shoes from thrift stores, and some kids cant even afford that or might not even have the opportunity!

they have to be a pair of $500 plus pair of Nikes in the right color lol

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
They're ugly. Doesn't matter what you or "we" think either. If your niece doesn't like them, she won't wear them.

I'm old and crazy, but if I saw these in the store I might be tempted to cut off my toes in order to fit into them. What a deal, tears are welling in my eyes as I admire those chartreuse laces. A virtual color match for the $5 pseudo-thigh master I recently bought at Five Below.

Last edited:
I cant ties laces. So . ...

I like the look but ...

See kids at work with Black or vintage KEDS.

Generic sneaks are seldom seen.

Me I have some comfortable Dr.SChools sneaks I bought 20 years ago.

I wore them maybe three times.

Slip on canvas loafers for me.

Last edited:
She took one look at them and said, I'm not wearing those.
Do they look that bad?

Good luck trying to please a 16-year-old girl with clothes. You have a better chance of winning the lottery.

I'd recommend having them try it on first before buying. Hiking takes a big toll on the lower body and back and it's not the greatest to have pain in those areas in the middle of a hike because of ill-fitting shoes.

Probably the shoe laces that go all the way down to the toes is what did it. Other than that they look pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back