Carrier central air fail need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Should I short out the capacitor with a screwdriver in case it's storing a charge

You can just to be safe, but since it is working in an A/C circuit, it shouldn't be storing a charge.
The 60/5 uf (aka mfd) is a common motor run capacitor and 370vac is a common voltage (but you can go higher, like 440vac). 60mfd is the compressor side and 5mfd is the fan side. They are under $20.

Is that a bulging capacitor?

[Linked Image]

I took pics for reference. Will that be enough to make sure I get the compressor and fan sides right if I get the 440?

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the sideways pics. I was unable to straighten them out

The capacitor does look like it is bulging. They don't always show any outward sign that they are bad.
Just hook up the new one the way that you see it.

It was the capacitor on mine. Same symptoms. Happened twice. Huge price differences in capacitors. I paid $50 for the first one. Found them at another parts place for $8. First time mine blew it looked like yours. When my second unit went out, the capacitor blew up. It happened in the first few years we had the units. One had the compressor go and the other is still working fine after 16 years.

I'm hopeful because it's a dual cap the compressor was not able to operate without the fan. It's over 90f and the house is mid 80s. Nothing at hd and Lowe's. No menards around here. Have a few more stops hopefully find one

Try a pool store. We have Leslie's pool by us. I saw they had some. Probably for pool pumps. You can give them a try.

Yes that is bulging capacitor.

My suggestion is to buy the Amrad brand made in USA.
More expensive but it has 5 years warranty and they send you a new one if it ever fails within the warranty period.

If Amrad is too expensive for you, then get the BMI or Genteq.

Keep the China made as spare.

Last edited:
You need a new capacitor.
Had ants get in a contractor last year, and that was $9 shipped on Amazon. Mine hummed just like yours, but it was the contactor that was humming and nothing would spin up. Could bypass the contactor to get it to run, but don't recommend that method for everyone.

Success!!! The Amazon shipping let me down but I got it today and it was all that was wrong! I had to tie wrap it because it was a little narrower in the holder but everything seems to have worked out. The fan sounds different. Like it's a little slower but I'm not positive about that. A big thank you everyone for the help!

I'm going to order a backup and it was mentioned that I could use 440 instead of 370. I bought the 440 worked great. But what about the other two numbers. Can I substitute 60/5 440 with 70/7 440?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I'm going to order a backup and it was mentioned that I could use 440 instead of 370. I bought the 440 worked great. But what about the other two numbers. Can I substitute 60/5 440 with 70/7 440?
No, you need to get a 60/5. For the voltage, you can always go higher but never lower.

Last edited:
What Wag said. Higher voltage won't hurt a thing, but from my research not matching the mfd rating, especially with the fan motor side (the lower number) can cause problems.

I just changed my failed Carrier dual capacitor out this morning. Last failure was 4 years ago, so I remembered the symptoms and the repair. Had to rely on memory for the capacitor size since the failure mode ate up the label. Hope I got it right - 2 hours of research online did not reveal the information.

I did not know the symptoms. But now I do. In the kitchen I could feel the unit vibrate as the fan and compressor would start all day long. Not anymore! Each start is whisper quiet and smooth. No more rumbling, no more vibrations. I can't confirm this but it doesn't seem to be working as hard . It's not running all day like it was before . It's cycling more and spending more time off. But it is cooler today so I'm going to find out later in the week when it gets hot again. It's amazing what a $10 capacitor will do.

On older A/C units the manufacturers used two individual capacitors, they lasted a long time, often for the life of the unit. At some point the manufacturers decided to use split/dual capacitors as a cost saving measure (I assume). They definitely don't last.

Originally Posted by wag123
On older A/C units the manufacturers used two individual capacitors, they lasted a long time, often for the life of the unit. At some point the manufacturers decided to use split/dual capacitors as a cost saving measure (I assume). They definitely don't last.

They're obviously taking hints from the consumer appliance companies. Look at the cost cutting they have done to fridges, washers, dryers, ranges, microwaves, ect....
most all of them are designed to fail in less than 7-10 years, disgraceful.

But.. when it failed it prevented the compressor from starting without the fan. Which may be a fair trade for the lifespan?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
throw the parts cannon at it . change the capacitor. if that don't work change the contact. all that stuff is cheap and goes bad eventually anyways. if sits not bad at least you have a spare. finding these parts on the weekend is not easy

I cam buy HVAC parts , locally / wholesale , through our accounts at work . Pluss I have the 1st level EPA card in my pocket .

I agree 100% . Were it me , I would go to Johnstone Supply and purchase the capacitor and a contactor .

Probably 10 amps oversize on the contactor In hope it would last longer . If there was physical space / room to mount it .

Take lots of photos and make labeled drawings . Change over , 1 wire at a time .

As has been said , MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF . Or you will receive an unexpected surprise .

Just my luck. It failed over 4th of July weekend and all the local Parts suppliers was "closed till Monday"

Question. I noticed there is a mild build up of some mildewy moss like substance on one side of the condenser. Can I spray some Wet & Forget on it? I have that handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back