Craftsman V-Twin Riding Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any experience with Troy-Bilt mowers but I had a John Deere with the V Twin Intek Briggs engine (the one with no oil filter) and never had one problem with it. I ran it about 15 years then gave it to a cousin 3 years ago who still runs it. I now run a Scag Zero Turn and will never go back to a tractor type mower.

I'm biased, but if I was looking to buy a lawn mower, I'd skip over this type of cheaply made new junk at the box stores and look at a restored older tractor.

I sell units like this for $600-$800. Easy to service, built like a tank, and they mow great (floating deck). This is a 1967 Cub Cadet 102 with a 12HP Kohler.

[Linked Image]

But there are tons of good older tractors/mowers besides Cub Cadet. Look for a nice Wheel Horse, Ariens, Bolens, etc. etc.

Last edited:
The title of your post is about a Craftsman 46" riding mower. You linked to a 46" Troybilt riding mower. Honestly, I wouldn't pick either. Both are made by MTD. Go over to Lowe's and look at their Husqvarna mowers, you will see a little better build quality. As for the Briggs & Stratton engine, it will serve you well if maintained properly.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...apability-Kit-Sold-Separately/1000368431

Originally Posted by MParr
The title of your post is about a Craftsman 46" riding mower. You linked to a 46" Troybilt riding mower. Honestly, I wouldn't pick either. Both are made by MTD. ...

Yup, confusing.

My mother has a Craftsman Lawn Tractor and it has been nothing but trouble... it is maybe 4 years old and has had at least 9 service calls. She says never again... FWIW

DuckRyder
A few years back, Craftsman had 2 lines of mowers. One line was built by Husqvarna and the other was built by MTD. The Husqvarna made line was much better. Sadly, all Craftsman mowers are now made by MTD. Anyway, I would pick the Husqvarna over the Troybilt.

I've been reading some Husky reviews on lowes about blown motors after 2-3 seasons and no help from the manufacturers. I'll keep looking.

My dad and grandmother both have craftsman yts3000 42" mowers with b&s single cylinder, 21hp engines. I think dad's is a '10 and hers is a year newer. Pretty certain they are Husqvarna based. Overall they've been good mowers. Got to where now they get bi yearly oil changes with whatever and get blades as needed. I have replaced the deck spindles on both, not that it did much good.

If you're open to suggestions on older mowers, my other grandmother has an '04 John Deere l110 42" mower with an 18 HP Kohler single cylinder. It's been overall good to her, albeit it's not the deck size you're wanting.

Last edited:
Matagonka
You will see some of those reviews on any brand. I imagine that lack of maintenance was a big problem. I've had several B&S powered mowers and never had a any problems out of the engines. It looks like some people were sold mowers that had been sitting outdoors for quiet a while. That is the fault of Lowe's for selling stuff in that condition. You could get the same sort of thing out of Home Depot with their mowers. Check out what you are buying before accepting delivery. DO NOT buy a display model. Have you checked with your local outdoor power equipment dealers? They may have what you want or something close.

Last edited:
^^ Lack of maintenance is what I was thinking. If they never changed or checked the oil, I wouldn't be surprised.

I bought a new Craftsman in 2007 with a 17hp B&S Intek (single cylinder).....it still runs great.
I change the oil and filter annually using 10w30 synthetic. I use 3614 (automotive) filters rather than more expensive OPE filters.

I had changed the blades a few years ago but last fall I decided to do a complete recondition (new belts, blades, cables, spark plug etc....) It's running better than ever now.

PS: I recommend a simple mower with a (Peerless) transmission over a hydrostatic because of it's simplicity and durability.

Originally Posted by Matagonka
I've been reading some Husky reviews on lowes about blown motors after 2-3 seasons and no help from the manufacturers. I'll keep looking.

I haven't heard of problems with the V-twins.....

But the 17.5 HP singles spit connecting rods out like crazy

DuckRyder
A few years back, Craftsman had 2 lines of mowers. One line was built by Husqvarna and the other was built by MTD. The Husqvarna made line was much better. Sadly, all Craftsman mowers are now made by MTD. Anyway, I would pick the Husqvarna over the Troybilt.

Yup, and hers isn't a Husky...

If it was me, I'd go John Deere or Husky...

The title of your post is about a Craftsman 46" riding mower. You linked to a 46" Troybilt riding mower. Honestly, I wouldn't pick either. Both are made by MTD. Go over to Lowe's and look at their Husqvarna mowers, you will see a little better build quality. As for the Briggs & Stratton engine, it will serve you well if maintained properly.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...apability-Kit-Sold-Separately/1000368431

I echo his thoughts. Husqvarna made the higher end Craftsmans and I have been happy with mine. Myself, I like the manual gear not automatic.

Originally Posted by Lubener

Myself, I like the manual gear not automatic.

Why is that?

I bought a used T3000 or 3200, depends which side of the mower you look at. Its a Husky/AYP built, 42", all black, electric PTO engagement and K46 hydro trans. I bought it with 120 hours back in the fall of 2016. I have about 206 hours now. Its not a high end mower by any means. I find the chassis flexes more than that guy who only works out his biceps at the gym. But.. other than that, it has been a great mower.

It has the 22hp Briggs Platinum, which has been absolutely flawless so far. No shortage of power, starts easy and never misses a beat.

I read the usual horror stories about Tuff Torq K46's dying early deaths, so I changed the oil out with some 5w50. It too has not missed a beat.

The deck, belts, spindles etc are all running great and I have yet to change them. Other than plugs and an oil change and cleaning the deck, no maintenance needed. I guess it needs a new battery though (2014 build date)

I changed the oil around the 150 hour mark, used cheap PYB 5w30 and a Fram TG 3616 (or 3600, which ever is the shorter one). It doesn't burn or leak oil and it is barely dark in color now.

I was under no illusion that I was buying a high end mower but have been surprised how reliable it has been and the quality of cut it does. If I had to do it all over again, I would look at the same thing but maybe a bigger deck.

Originally Posted by Matagonka
Originally Posted by Lubener

Myself, I like the manual gear not automatic.

Why is that?

Simplicity, less to go wrong. That especially applies to any MTD product which I have no faith in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back