19 Tacoma 2.7 M1 0w40 10k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 Tacoma 2.7l I4. Lifted and on 32in LT Tires. This is mostly highway usage with sustained RPMs in 3500 range for hours on end. The factory fill was dumped with about 100 miles on the unit and replaced with m1 0w40fs and run until 10k. This is M1 0w40fs after its second 10k run. Oil filters are Super Tech with no top off added.

TBN looks good. Hoping some of the numbers are high due to break in. TBN looks money and it looks like the m1 held up great. You guys think i have a winner here?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 251
Last edited:
No one has ever posted language on here from either their owner's manual nor their warranty booklet that states oil grade is a condition of warranty.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
2019 Tacoma 2.7l I4. Lifted and on 32in LT Tires. This is mostly highway usage with sustained RPMs in 3500 range for hours on end. The factory fill was dumped with about 100 miles on the unit and replaced with m1 0w40fs and run until 10k. This is M1 0w40fs after its second 10k run. Oil filters are Super Tech with no top off added.

TBN looks good. Hoping some of the numbers are high due to break in. TBN looks money and it looks like the m1 held up great. You guys think i have a winner here?

Thank you for the report.

I will offer a counterpoint FWIW.

I have driven two different 2TR FE's for a grand total of 870k miles.
Local deliveries of small parcels, light pallets and such has been on the front burner for me. Like you, I put a lot of freeway miles on my Taco.

TBN does not concern me as much as you, with all the freeway miles. TBN is not linear. My personal preference is a carefully selected lower viscosity oil.

Watch for the proverbial piston ring coking and valve stem seal wear as you approach 200k miles, with the accompanying oil consumption.

Enjoy your sled, Sir !

Read the bottom paragraph.

[Linked Image]

Which again states that the viscosity is recommended. If 0W-40 damages the engine then it's a problem, yes. But it will not.

Therefore whether or not it is recommended it will not void the warranty.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Which again states that the viscosity is recommended. If 0W-40 damages the engine then it's a problem, yes. But it will not.

Bottom line, it's foolish to put your warranty at risk because you think you know more than the engineers who designed the vehicle.

Oh no, I don't think that I know more than the engineers. I just haven't seen a warranty statement yet that says if you use a grade that's not recommended it will void your warranty. I do think there's a lot of fear mongering going on in regards to that however.

Lexus just back from a 500mi. trip today purrs like a kitten 20mpg. on the I with air on...CJ 15/40 HDEO all loaded up with sulfur, phosphorus , zincs and what not all. How could something so right be wrong?

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by Doublehaul

Thank you for the report.

I will offer a counterpoint FWIW.

I have driven two different 2TR FE's for a grand total of 870k miles.
Local deliveries of small parcels, light pallets and such has been on the front burner for me. Like you, I put a lot of freeway miles on my Taco.

TBN does not concern me as much as you, with all the freeway miles. TBN is not linear. My personal preference is a carefully selected lower viscosity oil.

Watch for the proverbial piston ring coking and valve stem seal wear as you approach 200k miles, with the accompanying oil consumption.

Enjoy your sled, Sir !

He'll likely avoid those issues using 0W40.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
If you consider a voided warranty a winner, then yes.

Originally Posted by Jason_Michaels
Why are you running 32s on a truck that does mostly highway?

Allow me to retort...

My owners manual makes specific allowances for thicker oil in conditions of extended highway use. Your blanket statement is uninformed and false

Second...fair question. The more logical reason is that i live on the outer fringes of society. I do a fair amount of off roading for recreation and travel in horrible road and weather conditions for my job...also including a bunch of off road use.

Another reason is that I like they way it looks. It had very little impact on my fuel economy. The truck is geared with 4:30s...was slow before and slow after. The 2.7 is perhaps the most durable gasoline engine in production however. My previous truck a 95 Tacoma with a 2.7 went over 500,000 miles with 32s and ran 5w or 15w40 for its entire life.

the ONLY reason watery xxw20 are recommended is the government pushing CAFE ratings + once warranty is gone they won't buy a new one!!

right, I'll run 5/30 in the bitter cold otherwise give me the heavy luxury grades in warm weather, like a man.

Last edited:
OP surely understands that the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine found in his 1995 Tacoma is the 3RZ FE engine, which does not have oil pressure-controlled variable valve timing.

My 2005 2TR FE and my 2018 2TR FE have been significantly affected in terms of performance and fuel economy by variances in viscosity grade.

Both M1 0W40 and Motul Specific 508.00 509.00 0W20 would likely avoid piston ring coking and excessive valve stem seal wear.

Gokhan notably used M1 0W40 right after replacing the valve stem seals on his Corolla, then switching to TGMO 0W20, and now M1 EP 0W20.

Anybody care to chime in about oil condition? Getting pretty tired of "warranty theory 101" around here.

How do the knowledgeable posters feel the lube performed?

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
OP surely understands that the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine found in his 1995 Tacoma is the 3RZ FE engine, which does not have oil pressure-controlled variable valve timing.

My 2005 2TR FE and my 2018 2TR FE have been significantly affected in terms of performance and fuel economy by variances in viscosity grade.

Both M1 0W40 and Motul Specific 508.00 509.00 0W20 would likely avoid piston ring coking and excessive valve stem seal wear.

Gokhan notably used M1 0W40 right after replacing the valve stem seals on his Corolla, then switching to TGMO 0W20, and now M1 EP 0W20.

I have two of these...ones a v6. no diff in fuel economy between the 40 and 20. No difference in sound either fwiw. Both spin over 3k in normal highway driving...both are dog slow

Wrong!
The last sentence in that Bulletin states the warranty will not be covered. They are recommending we do not void their warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Wrong!
The last sentence in that Bulletin states the warranty will not be covered. They are recommending we do not void their warranty.

Well, if we are going to lawyer this to death, it could be said that the document does not say what country the oil specification must be from to maintain warranty, so if the oil used could be found in specification anywhere in the world it would be ok to use....which also backs up the owner's manual which does state a thicker oil may be required for protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back