2017 Chevy Cruze - 5481 Miles - Castrol Edge 0w40 - 1.4T Direct Injection - 6MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this car used from a Stealership as a certified preowned @ 22,500 miles. Dumped the oil the first day I got it, and put Edge 0w40. Was curious of wear numbers. (So the Cruze had 22,500 miles when the oil went in)

I decided to be brave and run 0w40 under warranty (instead of spec'd 5w-30). Being that this cruze has a whopping 137hp, it is ran somewhat hard with lots of highway. I drive across state and out of state for work.
Manual transmission so naturally revs higher through acceleration.

Mobil 1 oil filter, 27% OLM when dumped.

Wear numbers look good, however, appears the Cruze sheared it to a 30 weight with minimum fuel dilution? Not bad eh?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 141
Last edited:
Does look good , if you decide to keep going with 0w40 I'd stay with Castrol and not be tempted by the Mobil rebate . I don't know what it is but for me 0w40 Mobil is xxxxxxx !

the use of lighter base oils to get the 0W ratings cause thinning regardless of quality. use a 5W in winter + 10W in summer, a 10-30 synthetic served my 300 tq + 275 hp hotted up 2001 1.8T jetta until trading in at 200,000, just port injection though!

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Owners manual says use a Dexos 2 5W-30 oil...

Page 272...

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...17/Chevrolet/Cruze/2k17cruze1stPrint.pdf

Had that engine on a Buick Encore. I was always careful to use the proper weight Dexos oil. I'm happy to have my Kia 2.0, simpler engine. The 1.4 turbo went through lots of pcv valves, which are built into a valve cover. It was flashing codes when it was totaled, no disasters though.

Last edited:
This is a good UOA. Thanks for sharing with the BITOG community. I have always been curious of the Castrol 0W-40. Just know that the money you paid for the analysis was well spent since you have helped me and others. Once again thanks.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Does look good , if you decide to keep going with 0w40 I'd stay with Castrol and not be tempted by the Mobil rebate . I don't know what it is but for me 0w40 Mobil is xxxxxxx !

Sometimes certain individuals have issues no matter what. Mobil 1 0W-40 carries a plethora of demanding manufacturer approvals and specifications, just like Castrol 0W-40. If there is a good rebate on Mobil 1 then take it.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Excellent report! I'm convinced that between Castrol 0w40 or Magnatec 5w/10w30, any American GTDI is well oiled.

Well oiled is wonderful.
Well deposited (at a later date) is a future appointment with a bank account disaster.
Think everything around you. Not just something that's on the straight & narrow ahead.

UOAs tell us accounts of the oil. They don't tell us accounts of the inner engine.
All of the oil companies have abandoned add-packs like this. TGDI/GDI/lspi-related reasons why.
What works great for X-amount of miles, then suddenly the working great part becomes the working awful parts....... almost overnight sometimes.

"Hey Honey, my car has been running great for a long time. Today, I went shopping and it's missing, sputtering and coughing. Sounds louder too".

Last edited:
I had a 16 cruze shortly with the same engine and trans. I really liked the car and the engine but hated the transmission setup. Clutch felt so vague I could hardly find the biting point.

Yours is the 1.4l ? Turbo . Have read that turbos are happier with a little thicker oil , because of the heat ?

My lease VW Jetta has a 1.4 Turbo making 157 HP but over 180 lb-ft torque - so in use it has the power and torque of a well tuned 2.7 liter 175HP engine from 1500-4500 rpm but nothing much above that. So good power where you need it for 95 % of mt driving situations.

In sprightly driving around country roads, the oil temp readout on a selectable DIC scroll-able menu rarely goes above 100C its usually around 90-95. or below boiling.
Car spec a real synthetic 0w20. No racket when revved.

"Well oiled is wonderful.
Well deposited (at a later date) is a future appointment with a bank account disaster.

Are you saying Castrol oils cause sludge or deposits? That's not been my experience and I use both a lot.
[Linked Image]

Here's my old M54 with 110k miles on it when it took a valve cover gasket. Continued to 160k before selling it.
Have run 0w40 my (3) gen 1 3.5 Ecoboost, 2 Mazdaspeed3s and the wife ‘17 Expedition.
My gen 2 3.5 will get Magnatec 5w30 because of the UOAs here. Member KJSmith has several that don't seem to indicate deposits or sludge, just low wear #s

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Kjmack

Sometimes certain individuals have issues no matter what. Mobil 1 0W-40 carries a plethora of demanding manufacturer approvals and specifications, just like Castrol 0W-40. If there is a good rebate on Mobil 1 then take it.

I'm not sure what your trying to suggest here ? Somehow you think I have many issues because I do not care for Mobil 1 0w40 ?

Originally Posted by double vanos
"Well oiled is wonderful.

Are you saying Castrol oils cause sludge or deposits? That's not been my experience and I use both a lot.
[Linked Image]

Here's my old M54 with 110k miles on it when it took a valve cover gasket. Continued to 160k before selling it.
Have run 0w40 my (3) gen 1 3.5 Ecoboost, 2 Mazdaspeed3s and the wife ‘17 Expedition.
My gen 2 3.5 will get Magnatec 5w30 because of the UOAs here. Member KJSmith has several that don't seem to indicate deposits or sludge, just low wear #s

T7 has been posting some very odd comments lately. I would not take what he posts seriously.

I've used Castrol in the past. It's a great oil and does not cause sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back