Techron vs. Techron High Mileage

you will need some water treatment fuel to get rid of it

something like HEET GAS treatment it's very specifically for that

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
What's "water treatment fuel"?

I'm sure he meant 'drygas' ...gas line anti-freeze additive....preferably Isopropyl over methanol based...it helps burn off small amounts of water in the fuel tank...

I would imagine that the high mileage version would be more potent since high mileage typically associates with wear, tear, carbon build up, and dirty injectors. At the same time, I feel that there is an insignifacant difference between the two. I have not done any research about these products but that's what I can think off the top of my head. Me personally, the only fuel additives I would use is Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner SI-1 Concentrated and Amsoil P.I. I have nothing to add for the water in fuel question. Good luck and I hope you eventually get it resolved.

Fuel attaches to one end of the alcohol molecule and water attaches to the other end. Operation pulls any water through your engine.

With gas having 10% to 15% ethanol for years now, the chance of there being water in your tank is effectively ZERO unless there's a hole in the tank letting road spray in.

I found recent MSDS' for Techron Concentrate Plus and Techron High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner...not sure if these are the products referenced in the OP.
I have snipped the composition info for the two below, the HM product is shown at the bottom.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Assuming the trade secret ingredients are what is doing most of the cleaning (and are possibly PEA-like?), looks like the HM product is more likely to be the weak sauce.

And, yes, I understand the composition info summaries shown are not recipes...

Originally Posted by Kira
Fuel attaches to one end of the alcohol molecule and water attaches to the other end. Operation pulls any water through your engine.

With gas having 10% to 15% ethanol for years now, the chance of there being water in your tank is effectively ZERO unless there's a hole in the tank letting road spray in.

Thank you, good to know. The reason for the post is a very low mileage motorcycle that ran perfectly until we stopped at a small-town gas station. Could be the gas, but it could be any number of other problems. Just trying to rule out the simple first.

t.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I found recent MSDS' for Techron Concentrate Plus and Techron High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner...not sure if these are the products referenced in the OP.
I have snipped the composition info for the two below, the HM product is shown at the bottom.

Assuming the trade secret ingredients are what is doing most of the cleaning (and are possibly PEA-like?), looks like the HM product is more likely to be the weak sauce.

And, yes, I understand the composition info summaries shown are not recipes...

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I would assume the same, which makes sense in a way -- if an engine is really dirty you wouldn't want it all coming off in big chunks, I've seen that happen before. A few years ago I put MMO and Seafoam in an older motor, apparently too much, and I wish I still had the pictures of the pistons to post here.

Originally Posted by CCI

Thank you, good to know. The reason for the post is a very low mileage motorcycle that ran perfectly until we stopped at a small-town gas station. Could be the gas, but it could be any number of other problems. Just trying to rule out the simple first.

Very interesting...it was unusually hot here last Saturday and I was driving around quite a bit. Stopped for gas and my car started surging noticeably on throttle changes afterwards.
I had read online about some drivers having trouble with FXTs surging in hot climates and how there was an ECU reflash for the issue....couldn't remember if I had gotten that code at some point or it was only being used in hotter climates.
Then I thought, hey, I was driving in the heat for two hours and the problem only occurred after I went to a station I don't normally use (Cumby's in a town I don't visit often). Literally within two miles of leaving the place.
So, I started to wonder if they had given me 87 when I paid a pretty penny for 93 (this place was a good 30 cents a gallon more than my usual station, doesn't seem to have local competition and is right off a highway) and that was responsible for the surging.
My manual says that 93 is preferred, 91 is OK, and anything below that will not cause damage but will probably result in poor operation. The closest Subaru dealer told me to not complain about my engine if I wasn't running SHELL 93 in particular!

Of course, I dumped some fuel injector cleaner in there just in case...bottle of Regane.

The surging went away, but I don't now if it was due to the drop in temps, the FIC, the ECU adjusting to a change in octane, or...???
Never going to that Cumby's again....unless it's just for a drink.

Well while regular techron is a regular oil techron high mileage most likely has additives to make high mileage engines run like the low mileage engines with the regular oil.

High mileage definitely seems less potent. It says you can use it every 1000 miles and to do more more than 12 treatments per oil change. Normal Techron says use every 3000 miles and to only do a max of 2 treatments per oil change.

I don't know what's better about it so far.

recent MSDS for Techron Concentrate Plus and Techron High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner

I found a PDF that says 64742-47-8 is Exxsol D80.

CAS No: 64742-47-8 Chemical Name: Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light
2. Product Uses
Exxsol D80 Fluid is a liquid solvent used in paints & coatings, consumer products, printing inks, and
agricultural chemical applications.

The high mileage omits the naphtha and has more Exxsol D80. It's a popular ingredient. STP Ultra 5 in 1 Fuel System Cleaner, Rislone 4700.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for ... A few years ago I put MMO and Seafoam in an older motor, apparently too much, and I wish I still had the pictures of the pistons to post here

I've used many chemicals in the fuel tank, crankcase, and vacuum line too. Car runs good. But you never know. Bad luck can happen any time.

E10 can only absorb so much water. Beyond the limit, phase separation happens. Then you need more alcohol. I found Yellow HEET on spring closeout for appox. $0.38 a bottle. Who could resist that. Methanol cleans too.

Just how much water is getting into your gasoline and why? I’d fix that problem first before I tried to cover it up with more additive.

And this is a pretty old thread to dig up.

Just how much water is getting into your gasoline and why? I’d fix that problem first before I tried to cover it up with more additive.

And this is a pretty old thread to dig up.

Are you one of those chemical haters. 2019 is not old to me.

Back