anyone care to do the math for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
current vehicle gets 16.4 mpg avg - 24238 miles driven annually
perspective vehicle gets 47.8 mpg avg

with current fuel prices of 2.60 a gallon how much savings would i get per month driving new vehicle.

for some reason i have having a hard time figuring the cost savings. . .

Based on your average:

24238 miles / 16.4 mpg average = 1477.93 gallons annually. 1477.93 gallons * $2.60/gallons = $3842.61 per year or $320.22 per month.

24238 / 47.8 mpg average = 507.07 gallons annually. 507.07 gallons * $2.60/gallons = $1318.38 per year or $109.87 per month.

Last edited:
Based on your numbers, the 1st car uses 1,478 gallons costing $3,843
2nd car, 507 gallons, $1,318 for a savings of $2,524

New car should have less issues, tires etc. Is more fun. More insurance, registration, etc.
Is your cat paid for? How much is the new car?

Boils down to what you want vs. what you can afford.
Situation normal.

In CA I pay $4 per gallon, more or less.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What do I win?

you win an online fist bump. but just one. I mean you answered first so was it really that hard for you? be honest. LOL

Originally Posted by ammolab
What gets an average of 47.8 MPG?

Honda Insight according to fuelly reports. although i am also considering an Accord Hybrid. it is down to those two choices right now.

I am keeping my Sierra but will make the new car my daily driver.

Originally Posted by Throt
Fresh article on the Insight: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...a-insight-vs-2020-toyota-corolla-hybrid/

If it were me, I'd go with the Accord. I have the new Accord with the 1.5. Considering 90% of my driving is city, I wish I'd gone with the hybrid honestly.

thanks for this info. I have a strong hate for anything Toyota but that is a long story. based on online prices the difference is a little over $1,000 for the Accord so i am researching it. the fuel savings alone is half the cost of the car payment so i need to verify it actually gets 48 mpg and its not some inflated wishing figure.

Originally Posted by ammolab
What gets an average of 47.8 MPG?

[Linked Image]

Not too far off, Virtus. I thought maybe you were going to start commuting on your son's ride:

[Linked Image]

A new Honda Insight is about $23K.. and you are keeping the pickup. No idea if you are financing, but factor in another insurance payment plus interest on a loan, plus upkeep and wear and tear..

May be cheaper to just keep the pickup..

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Not too far off, Virtus. I thought maybe you were going to start commuting on your son's ride:

[Linked Image]

LOL I still have that thing but it stopped idling right and its just in storage.

If mpg is what you are after, I would consider a Volt or Bolt.
People love 'em.

Lease a Bolt and charge at work.
Commuter lane. All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back