World War 2 and the greatest generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle#1 was in the USAFFE (United States Armed Forces in the Far East), Intelligence division, was wounded by a sniper. He was captured and tortured by the Japanese for Army info, then imprisoned. He survived the war but never talked openly about his experiences during those times for the rest of his life. Post-traumatic stress disorder in today's lingo. I guess reliving those memories was just too much.

Ah yes, uncle #2 was in the Army's Signal Corps.

I too pondered about serving (was ROTC cadet officer), but things turned out differently for me and I never applied to be commissioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad was a tail gunner in a B-24 bomber. They got shot down and captured on their 10th mission, if I remember right He had told me some about the inside of the bomber but I never really understood what he went through. I got to see a B-24 and go inside it. It was so small inside. It just got to me and I just started crying. The guide asked what was wrong and I told him about my Dad. The rear of the bomber was roped off.......he let me crawl to the back. I could not believe how much tighter it got. Once seated back there he was basically trapped in the seat and in battle he had to depend on the waist gunners if anything went wrong with the ammo rails.
God Bless our Soldiers...........Past, Present and Future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
My Dad was a tail gunner in a B-24 bomber. They got shot down and captured on their 10th mission, if I remember right He had told me some about the inside of the bomber but I never really understood what he went through. I got to see a B-24 and go inside it. It was so small inside. It just got to me and I just started crying. The guide asked what was wrong and I told him about my Dad. The rear of the bomber was roped off.......he let me crawl to the back. I could not believe how much tighter it got. Once seated back there he was basically trapped in the seat and in battle he had to depend on the waist gunners if anything went wrong with the ammo rails.
God Bless our Soldiers...........Past, Present and Future.

I know exactly how you felt . You are a good man , just like your father .

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I just finished reading The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw and a book all about World War 2 scrap drive etc. This truly was the greatest generation that came together and fought it's way out of the great depression. The massive productivity during the war is mind blowing. My grandfather survived a shot in France in a forest because of the small bible and zippo lighter in his right shirt pocket. I still have that lighter and it works. Please discuss gentlemen

Thank You

Yeah, lucking the USA had some tough bad [censored] back then to stand up and fight 2 wars at the same time.

Originally Posted by javacontour
My grandfather survived the battle of the bulge. He was a truck driver that got caught in it, so he became a rifleman like everyone else.
Lived about 15 or so months after he got home to see my mom get to about 6 months old and then was killed by a drunk driver while he was on his motorcycle.
Life is crazy. Survive the war, but get killed at home less than two years after getting back there.

Tragic story...
Reminds me a bit of reading about some Jewish survivors of the Holocaust who returned to Poland to reclaim their property after the war.
The people had taken over their houses didn't want to give them up, so they killed the returning survivors...after they got away from Hitler and his monsters in the camps by some miracle. Apparently no repercussions for the murderers...

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I just finished reading The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw and a book all about World War 2 scrap drive etc. This truly was the greatest generation that came together and fought it's way out of the great depression. The massive productivity during the war is mind blowing. My grandfather survived a shot in France in a forest because of the small bible and zippo lighter in his right shirt pocket. I still have that lighter and it works. Please discuss gentlemen

Thank You

They are my favorite generation to deal with.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Yeah, lucking the USA had some tough bad "***" back then to stand up and fight 2 wars at the same time.

Technically the Japanese attacked the US and then declared war on it and then Hitler declared war on the US so it's not like the US had a choice in the matter. Although technically I suppose the US could have ignored the Japanese attack at Pearl and not have declared war? I believe the vote to declare war was 388 to 1 opposed in the House and 82-0 in the Senate so it wasn't even close.

This is my favorite representation of the Greatest Generation -vs the Latest Generation

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
This is my favorite representation of the Greatest Generation -vs the Latest Generation

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Ed

Oh come on. We all know the Greatest Generation got offended at the same petty-level junk, it was just different, like "He drank out of my fountain and he's not my color!"

Also don't forget that we are still fighting wars today, and 18 year-olds still fight them.

Last edited:
My dad, a WWII vet who'd be 95 if he was still with us, hated the "Greatest Generation" moniker and IMO it's made more marginal by "comparisons" with today by their offspring or grand kids. It was a long simmering World War where we were attacked and there was much less of a choice....it wasn't Vietnam. It was doing what had to be done in a rote way at a societal level. A lingering memory of my dad in his later years is after mindlessly being "thanked for his service"...telling the person that they should probably save that for the ones that didn't come back...a not so subtle distinction but one that probably defines the "Greatest Generation" to me. I'm not sure Tom Brokaw would get that or not....

To the regular military guy who gave up so much I bet a pat on the back thanking them didn't twigger them like a milanial seeing a cop in coffee shop

Originally Posted by Kjmack
To the regular military guy who gave up so much I bet a pat on the back thanking them didn't twigger them like a milanial seeing a cop in coffee shop

Yeah, that whole incident was kinda weird. In the old days we use to say Question Authority and the authorities will question you. If he was so bothered by them, he should have left. But he should have felt pretty safe with 6 of them around.

Originally Posted by Ws6

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Ed

Oh come on. We all know the Greatest Generation got offended at the same petty-level junk, it was just different, like "He drank out of my fountain and he's not my color!"

Also don't forget that we are still fighting wars today, and 18 year-olds still fight them.

I highly doubt the Greatest Generation was offended by the American flag, the mention of God in the public arena, Christianity, or any of the things these snowflakes of today are offended by...and racism was around long before the Greatest Generation came along...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Ws6

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Ed

I highly doubt the Greatest Generation was offended by the American flag, the mention of God in the public arena, Christianity, or any of the things these snowflakes of today are offended by...and racism was around long before the Greatest Generation came along...

Well said. And let's not forget the "safe spaces" and "therapy pets" on campus for those who are felling stressed out. The list is seemingly endless.

MY favorite is hearing that recruits gets "stress cards" in bootcamp if they feel stressed because they're being "picked on"... Oh brother...

Ed

My grandfather was a tailgunner in the RCAF, survived that and eventually made his way to being boot camp sergeant. My grandmother's brother was in the Devil's brigade, as were quite a few farm boys from the Muskoka area IIRC. I know very little about his service history beyond that factoid however.

I cary my grandfather's RCAF tie-clip in my wallet with me at all times as a reminder of the incredible sacrifice made by those that came before us that allowed us to live in the freedom and prosperity we enjoy and so often take for granted.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
My grandfather was a tailgunner in the RCAF, survived that and eventually made his way to being boot camp sergeant. My grandmother's brother was in the Devil's brigade, as were quite a few farm boys from the Muskoka area IIRC. I know very little about his service history beyond that factoid however.

I cary my grandfather's RCAF tie-clip in my wallet with me at all times as a reminder of the incredible sacrifice made by those that came before us that allowed us to live in the freedom and prosperity we enjoy and so often take for granted.

That is very touching. What a wonderful way to remember your Grandfather!

smile.gif

Ed

Very good of you brother. My grandfathers friend from grade school was a tail gunner in a b-17 in early 1944 over Germany and one of few to get 25 missions then stayed instead of going stateside. He's in his 90's now and I see him when I go back home

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Ws6

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Ed

Well said Grampi

,,++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back