Champion Filters or Fram XG's ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So deciding between restocking my filters for my GMT800 fleet and picked out two filters

Can get "Champion" brand (Fed mogul) NOT cheap garbage champ labs @ $1.75 each at Pep boys through my commercial account

or

Case of 6 Fram XG's on ebay for $24

Depending on the vehicle, I do 2-3 full syn OCI's, AVG 8-12K miles per year and prefer not to change the filter each time

So what do you guys think ??

Dave

Are the Champion labs filters full synthetic media and have a silicone ADBV?

I think that the two filters are at different levels of filtration from one another(apples & oranges).

If these filters will be for a fleet of vehicles and will be changed out at each oil change interval(OCI) then get the Champion.

If these filters will be for your personal vehicle that you will be enjoying & keeping long term then get the FRAM XG(a.k.a. Ultra).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84

Depending on the vehicle, I do 2-3 full syn OCI's, AVG 8-12K miles per year and prefer not to change the filter each time

Buy the cases on ebay.
Run each filter 3X OCI's if these vehicles see mostly highway miles.

XG all day long. While I have Federal Mogul Champions they are not considered premium filters. Take a look at Rock Auto's website.

Edit: They usually show up in the economy section but must have sold out.

F2AA5AA0-5204-44F1-B0B9-0D4EB91F95B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84
So deciding between restocking my filters for my GMT800 fleet and picked out two filters

Can get "Champion" brand (Fed mogul) NOT cheap garbage champ labs @ $1.75 each at Pep boys through my commercial account

or

So what do you guys think ??

Dave

Champ Mobil-1s are not garbage.
Does Champion make an economy filter? Or are the Champion filters built like a Champ Mobil-1?
Have you done a comparison?

$1.75 for a filter similar to a mobile 1 media. It dosent have to be full synthetic to last a long time and there are good arguments for the advantage of blended Media over full synthetic or full cellulose.
If you left the champ filters on for only 10k a piece it would still save money over the Fram ultras for 20k.
If you want to go as long as possible without changing filters then it could be worth going with the Ultras for a little more$$.
I personaly would rather use the champ because I believe blended Media is better and as far as I've seen, the champs have bypass valves built into the center tube and not one of those silly combo leaf spring/bypass valve pieces

Running the Federal Mogul CHAMPION 3614 variant on my ladys Fiesta and soon on my roommates Neon. Bought 5 of them. They are a very well built filter with a silicone ADBV and sturdy can construction. So far she hasnt had the start up rattle she had with the Red Purolator or the Orange Fram, it's honestly a great filter for

Last edited:
I would want to know where the ebay seller gets these filters. $24-8 est shipping-2.40 ebay fees-5 minimal profit = 8.60 for 6 filters. Don't think Fram sells these wholesale for $1.50 each. So they come from somewhere else, something is not quite right there. I would buy the retail ones and change them every interval, or cut them to establish a safe extended use interval.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Running the Federal Mogul CHAMPION 3614 variant on my ladys Fiesta and soon on my roommates Neon. Bought 5 of them. They are a very well built filter with a silicone ADBV and sturdy can construction. So far she hasnt had the start up rattle she had with the Red Purolator or the Orange Fram, it's honestly a great filter for div>

Yes, it has a red/orange ADBV and says federal mogul for "Professional use only", well built strong can. I guess that means my filter warranty is VOID now
13.gif

Aren't these same level as Mobil M1 filters ??

My main goal is to get at least 8-10K mile/2 OCI's out of them

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back