2012 Lexus IS350c, 6500 mi on Mobil 1 0W-30, Amsoil Ea filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
2GR-FSE engine, 117k miles total, last OCI was 6500 miles with 0W-30 Mobil 1 AFE. Filter was an Amsoil Ea filter. Air filter is a Wix.

Lexus calls for 5000 mile OCI. I extended it to 6500 this time with a lot of idling too. Car is driven extremely hard. Sees 3.5k+ RPM on the regular. Oil consumption--car used maybe 1/3 to 1/2 a quart over the 6500 OCI. I actually overfilled the car slightly (maybe 1/4-1/3 of a quart) so by the end of the OCI, the oil level was just slightly below the second dot on the dipstick.

What are your thoughts?

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I have the same engine. I went by the oil indicator lamp and it allowed almost 11 months for about 4K miles. I use PP HM 5W30. Numbers look great, but it is one of the best engines on the planet.
That car should see 3K, it has IMRCs that need to be opened.

What kind of car is your 2GR in? AFAIK no Toyota or Lexus has a "smart" oil life monitor as opposed to simple mileage/time counters.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
What kind of car is your 2GR in? AFAIK no Toyota or Lexus has a "smart" oil life monitor as opposed to simple mileage/time counters.

11 GS350. I know the one in my explorer has an additional oil temperature sensor to the computer and will always tell you to change in 6 months no matter what.

Ah, I see.

What do you mean by "IMRCs"?

Second, I noticed that viscosity of the 0W30 had sheared down right to the minimum viscosity for a 30 weight. According to EM, Mobil 1 0W30 AFE starts with a viscosity of 10.9 cSt at 100 C. My viscosity after 6500 miles is a paltry 9.3 cSt. Is this cause for concern? I'm running 5 qts of Mobil 1 HM 5W30 and 1.3 qts of Mobil 1 0W30 this time; this combination should probably shear less, huh?

What has me confused is that people keep saying that the 0W30 from Mobil 1 is extremely shear stable, but I'm getting the exact opposite. I ran the oil for only 6500 miles, and it was about to be a 20 weight. It wasn't as if I ran the oil for 10 or 15,000 miles. It's definitely not fuel dilution that's shearing the oil, as 2GR-FSEs, while direct injected, have few to no reports of fuel dilution issues (unlike Hondas). I'm guessing it just comes down to Florida heat coupled with a very aggressive driving style? Would I benefit from a thicker oil?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21945

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1878840

Last edited:
i have the same engine in my car and i also bounce it off the redline daily yet youve got triple the amount of iron in your sample with less mileage than my last uoa... any reason you arent using 0w20 like its specced for?

also besides fuel dilution, this car has a timing chain that shears the oil, im also currently looking for something more stable that will hopefully also Cut down my fuel dilution

Originally Posted by Wildcard
i have the same engine in my car and i also bounce it off the redline daily yet youve got triple the amount of iron in your sample with less mileage than my last uoa... any reason you arent using 0w20 like its specced for?

also besides fuel dilution, this car has a timing chain that shears the oil, im also currently looking for something more stable that will hopefully also Cut down my fuel dilution

It says 5W-30 on the cap and in the manual. I believe only earlier model years (like 2007) were back-specced to 5W-20.

Is the iron at a level to cause concern?

Last edited:
Results are fine. I'd try a stout 5w30 or a 10w30 in this high mileage engine.

Yeah I'm not sure why this engine got specced for 5W30, then 5W30 and 5W20, then only 5W30, and now 0W20.

Anyone else want to chime in on the results? The iron PPM/mile is similar to the iron PPM/mile on my neglected Camry, which had >80 PPM iron in its UOA.

Last edited:
Second, I noticed that viscosity of the 0W30 had sheared down right to the minimum viscosity for a 30 weight. According to EM, Mobil 1 0W30 AFE starts with a viscosity of 10.9 cSt at 100 C. My viscosity after 6500 miles is a paltry 9.3 cSt. Is this cause for concern? I'm running 5 qts of Mobil 1 HM 5W30 and 1.3 qts of Mobil 1 0W30 this time; this combination should probably shear less, huh?

What has me confused is that people keep saying that the 0W30 from Mobil 1 is extremely shear stable, but I'm getting the exact opposite. I ran the oil for only 6500 miles, and it was about to be a 20 weight. It wasn't as if I ran the oil for 10 or 15,000 miles. It's definitely not fuel dilution that's shearing the oil, as 2GR-FSEs, while direct injected, have few to no reports of fuel dilution issues (unlike Hondas). I'm guessing it just comes down to Florida heat coupled with a very aggressive driving style? Would I benefit from a thicker oil?

One cannot tell from that UOA whether it is mechanical shear or fuel dilution that is affecting the viscosity. People on here like to blame viscosity deviations on mechanical shear but for the most part the UOA they post cannot distinguish between the two.

I have a 2006 IS 250 that I bought new. Have been doing analysis every oil change since new. It has the 4GR-FSE which is down about 100HP on the 2GR-FSE. The engine is 2.5L not 3.5L and has only direct injection but basically has the same internals, valve train, timing chain, etc. It sees high revs regularly and also extended idling in Chicago traffic. I have run different types of oils over the years and it iron wear averages around 2ppm / 1K miles, sometimes less than 2. This wear rate is significantly lower than what your 2GR-FSE is showing despite regular hard driving that I do as well.

Originally Posted by kschachn

One cannot tell from that UOA whether it is mechanical shear or fuel dilution that is affecting the viscosity. People on here like to blame viscosity deviations on mechanical shear but for the most part the UOA they post cannot distinguish between the two.

i agree, you need a more thorough analysis to figure out whats goin on there, from a reputable lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back