What Brand Of Conventional Oil Would You ONLY Use??

There are so many brands of conventional oil out there, but if it were your ONLY choice of oil to use in your vehicles, what name brand would you use, and why?
I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (I know, all Pennzoil is in yellow bottles. It's the old school name).
Rumors have it that PYB contains synthetic oil. Pennzoil also has a great reputation in the oil industry world. Also, I have heard/read that PYB does the best job at cleaning the internal engine and parts.

With the exception of some ExxonMobil basestocks. ALL conventional oil is really semi syn with approximately 50 percent group 3, as long as we're talking about 5-20 or 5-30. QS and PYB do have moly and I guess that's a good thing, but Blackstone has never been able to determine that any oil meeting specs is better than any other.

Last edited:
I bought lots of Chevron Supreme on sale at Costco and nothing has blown up so far
shocked2.gif
cars run very quiet ...

I've used Pennzoil and Castrol gtx and like them as well. Once I run out maybe in 2.5 years, Whatever on sale between the above 3.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Any that meets spec of my vehicle.

Why just just one - Chevron Supreme, Mobil Super (or Delvac Super or Delo), Valvoline … That group.

Geezerhood and condohood keep me from changing my own. Once I run the ST around to a mileage divisible by 5000 it will be 5k changes using my stock of VWB $10 oil change coupons. Hopefully they'll honor the coupons when VWB declares itself a semi syn to the bulk distribtors.

I'd still use whichever one was the best price at the time that I needed oil. But, if I had to pick just one. Hmmm, good question!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I bought lots of Chevron Supreme on sale at Costco and nothing has blown up so far
shocked2.gif
cars run very quiet ...

I've used Pennzoil and Castrol gtx and like them as well. Once I run out maybe in 2.5 years, Whatever on sale between the above 3.

Ive been buying Conventional 5w30 Chevron for the last two years or so from Walmart online with free ship.
Im not brand loyal, I buy on price and only use conventional in my vehicles, Walmart has been selling this at a killer price, roughly around $13 range..

Anyway, its a good oil with just as good approvals as any other oil out there for its API and certain other vehicle manufacturer approvals.
I use it in my Mazda 3 Skyactive and Dodge Durango 4.7

Last edited:
Probably PYB or High Mileage. Just because that's what my dad used and it was never an issue...

Valvoline. Anyway, most of the newer so-called conventional oils contain some amount of synthetic.

Last edited:
My first vehicle was a brand new 1995 Toyota Tacoma 2.5l. I had it for 10 years and sold it to my friend with like 210K miles. It only used conventional Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 and Fram extra guard filters it's entire life at 6-7k OCI or 35+ oil changes. Probably 75% highway 25% city.

You can see some discolorization or varnish under the fill cap and evidence of oil residue leaking under the truck perhaps around oil pan area but didn't experience any oil internal engine or mechanical problems prior to selling.

Back